McDermott is going to cost us in a big game

1 hour ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

Hauschka is one of our best players.  When the game is on the line, you go with the talent.  The offense wasn't exactly stellar. There was no reason to believe they could continue to reliably move the ball when McD went for the 55 yarder.  It was the smart choice. 

If Haush wasn’t hurt earlier in the game, maybe.

But the moment they trotted him out there I was asking, “wtf are they doing?!” The guy looked hurt trotting on and off the field for kickoffs and you’re sending a player out there with a lower back injury to try and hit a 55 yarder?

It’s not hindsight, it was dumb from the get go.

2 minutes ago, Bill_with_it said:

His coaching also got us to the biggest game this franchise has seen ina quarter of a century, with a cap strapped team, a lame offensive coordinator, and a very mediocre set off offensive playmakers. Give him more than 2 seasons of head coaching experience and see what happens. Here is the thing an aggressive play style that you yearn for that you see happening with other teams (chiefs, saints, rams, etc) there is a reason it works for them; I’m going to go out on a limb and state that hopefully you can see the differences (plural) between our team and theirs that would make it easier for a head coach to put the game on the line by risking an aggressive play style that isnt needed at that point in the game.

I think one this is one of the fundamental differences in how we approach this. It was fun in the moment...but 9-7 and one and done in the playoffs really doesn't mean anything to me. No matter where you are as a franchise or how long it's been since success, the end goal should always be Superbowl/perennial legitimate contender. That means having the right guy for that kind of goal. I don't think coaching to keep it close instead of winning is going to bring and keep this team at that level long-term.

I'm not asking for this team to win this year, in fact I've said a million times that I don't care about the record at all this year. I'm just looking for progression in important areas. I don't see it with him. Yeah, this isn't a good offense. But Allen was good enough yesterday to give him more of a shot to close that game out. Instead, McDermott played for a field goal. It's not even like he coached for a field goal with 30 seconds left. There were over 2 minutes on the clock. 

And what about all the blunders with clock management he's had? That has nothing to do with the team's talent deficiencies, only his own. 

Guess I missed the part where McDermott started calling the offensive plays.  Strange, I thought that would have made more news. 

Maybe you should be blaming Daboll for the play calls, not McD?  Whether to go for it or not is on McD, but not the actual play calls.

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

The penalties are a big problem.  That many penalties, either you have guys who are not being taught/coached the right way

Or you have guys who just can't learn

Some penalties in the league are always going to be ticky-tack or wrong.  But we make too many penalties (and other mistakes) that are justified, and dumb, for a well-coached team.

McDermott as a HC needs to take a big step, no doubt.

Or guys are just not good enough and need to hold.  I think that is our OL. 

The offensive pass interference calls on #19, twice.  A coach need to talk to him and review the rule book.  You cannot block down field before or during a pass.   You can block after the catch.    Those calls hurt as did Teller and multiple penalties. 

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

Yeah, and McDermott leading this team to 9 wins with an absolute lack of talent had nothing to do with it.  Absolutely nothing. 

Plays like that happen every week through out the league.  Dalton's throw was just well timed and made for an exciting ending.  That same game, with that same throw, happens five weeks earlier.  No one for a moment attributes the playoff appearance to Any Dalton.  

You should be embarrassed for thinking this is a good (or logical) argument. 

More importantly, you should be ashamed for that lack the character your demonstrate for threatening (which is weird in its own right) to not stay loyal to your team.  

Does your character make you feel better when your team sucks?

I've been a fan for nearly 30 years. The losing and patheticness has gotten to me. Especially the idiotic moves. This team may be good enough for you, but some of us are winners in life and like to be around winning. 

1 minute ago, Mark80 said:

Guess I missed the part where McDermott started calling the offensive plays.  Strange, I thought that would have made more news. 

Maybe you should be blaming Daboll for the play calls, not McD?  Whether to go for it or not is on McD, but not the actual play calls.

McDermott's the head coach, he knows what's being called. The coordinator is an extension of him. 

I'm always amazed at how people think the head coach should be blameless for so many things. Offensive play-calling, special teams, etc. There's a reason why he's the Head Coach. Do you also only blame Bevell for the Seahawks gaffe in the SB vs the Pats?

2 hours ago, HomeskillitMoorman said:

From having an injured kicker go for a 54 yarder to the 2 runs on 1st and 2nd at the Jets 23 on the second to last drive...this conservative garbage is so incredibly frustrating. I just don't understand it. Is the point of the game to keep it close or to go for the win? Even when we're 4-8 the guy just won't go for it. Give Allen more than 1 shot on that set of downs to make a play. Stop playing for a field goal. 

You can see this coming a mile away, sometime in the future if we make it back to the playoffs, his brutal gameday management and conservativeness is going to bite us hard at the end of a game. 

The Pegulas need to move on from this loser,  ground and pound days are done.  Get offensive minded coach and enough this caveman football

1 minute ago, DabillsDaBillsDaBills said:

It's a minor miracle he didn't cost us the snow game last year vs the Colts. 4th and 1 from the Colts 41 with 4 minutes left in OT and you punt??!!?? When a tie essentially eliminates us from playoff contention. 

That wasn't even the biggest part of that near-debacle.

After the game he said something like, "I'd rather tie than lose"...meaning the Head Coach, the LEADER of this football team didn't know that the team needed the W over the tie to stay in playoff contention. Scary stuff. 

2 minutes ago, HomeskillitMoorman said:

I think one this is one of the fundamental differences in how we approach this. It was fun in the moment...but 9-7 and one and done in the playoffs really doesn't mean anything to me. No matter where you are as a franchise or how long it's been since success, the end goal should always be Superbowl/perennial legitimate contender. That means having the right guy for that kind of goal. I don't think coaching to keep it close instead of winning is going to bring and keep this team at that level long-term.

I'm not asking for this team to win this year, in fact I've said a million times that I don't care about the record at all this year. I'm just looking for progression in important areas. I don't see it with him. Yeah, this isn't a good offense. But Allen was good enough yesterday to give him more of a shot to close that game out. Instead, McDermott played for a field goal. It's not even like he coached for a field goal with 30 seconds left. There were over 2 minutes on the clock. 

And what about all the blunders with clock management he's had? That has nothing to do with the team's talent deficiencies, only his own. 

Ive said it. Hes been coaching for less than two years head coaching experience. Hes made mistakes that other young head coaches have made too, however , their talent on their team have bailed them out. Hes made alot of mistakes and I think if you had the opportunity to ask him he would state ao. Talent makes a world of difference, especially in coaching and the decisions a coach makes. It cant be taken as in well the rams coach does it so its the golden standard. If your team is struggling to move the ball and its before half time and your game plan is innecfective, with the talent the bills have on hand its a very smart move to goninto to half time and adjust instead of risking a dropped pass, turnover (int), or a failure for your rbs to pick up a first down to turn the ball over to the opposing team and put your defense back on the field. However, if you had the rams offense, saints offense, or chiefs offense, then thats a higher probability if converting based on playmakers alone, not to mention the comfortability of the hc with the oc, the comfortability with the players in a non first year system, etc.

thats what many of you fail to realize the context of the situation isnt being taken in consideration. Nothing is similiar between those teams other than they play in the NFL and they are allowed to have 11 players on the field at the same time. Thats were the similarities end. Thats why you are likely never to see an aggressive play style from our coach offensively until the offense is more consistently producing. 

27 minutes ago, The_Dude said:

Naw. Andy Dalton got us there. How pathetic is that? Another teams QB is a Buffalo Sports legend. 

Man, I am gettin closer and closer to bolting for Kansas City. Never thought I'd get there, but its fast approaching. 

I bet you coming run back after big Andy goes bezerk in the playoffs and forgets how to score.

1 hour ago, 4_kidd_4 said:

The lack of situational awareness on-field too.

The call to throw it to Allen was a garbage playcall to begin with,  BUT if you’re gonna call ityou have to have it drilled into Zay’s head that if it’s not there pull it and run. He could have easily scooted up the gut for the 3 yards, instead it somehow turned into a corner fade and Alled layed out hard.

This to me was the most vital sequence in the game. Zay's decision to try to throw it as the play called for instead of getting the three yards that he could easily have managed was brutal. If he gets that first down, the Bills have a shot at scoring a touchdown, or even if they don't they run a lot of time off the clock and leave the Jets will much less time to score. 

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, MDH said:

If Haush wasn’t hurt earlier in the game, maybe.

But the moment they trotted him out there I was asking, “wtf are they doing?!” The guy looked hurt trotting on and off the field for kickoffs and you’re sending a player out there with a lower back injury to try and hit a 55 yarder?

It’s not hindsight, it was dumb from the get go.

Your player tells you hes good to go and the docs clear the guy, you listen to the player.  This is football.  Guys play through pain. 

8 minutes ago, The_Dude said:

Does your character make you feel better when your team sucks?

I've been a fan for nearly 30 years. The losing and patheticness has gotten to me. Especially the idiotic moves. This team may be good enough for you, but some of us are winners in life and like to be around winning. 

I have yet to meet a person who speaks of themselves in this manner that is, in fact, a winner. 

1 hour ago, HomeskillitMoorman said:

He knows what's being called, and if he doesn't...that's a problem in it of itself. 

Coordinators operate under the head coach's philosophy and influence, they are an extension of what the head coach wants. 

He does know, but he let's Dabol call the plays.   Having the same philosophy and agreeing on exactly the same call on each and every play are two very different things.

9 minutes ago, Bill_with_it said:

Ive said it. Hes been coaching for less than two years head coaching experience. Hes made mistakes that other young head coaches have made too, however , their talent on their team have bailed them out. Hes made alot of mistakes and I think if you had the opportunity to ask him he would state ao. Talent makes a world of difference, especially in coaching and the decisions a coach makes. It cant be taken as in well the rams coach does it so its the golden standard. If your team is struggling to move the ball and its before half time and your game plan is innecfective, with the talent the bills have on hand its a very smart move to goninto to half time and adjust instead of risking a dropped pass, turnover (int), or a failure for your rbs to pick up a first down to turn the ball over to the opposing team and put your defense back on the field. However, if you had the rams offense, saints offense, or chiefs offense, then thats a higher probability if converting based on playmakers alone, not to mention the comfortability of the hc with the oc, the comfortability with the players in a non first year system, etc.

thats what many of you fail to realize the context of the situation isnt being taken in consideration. Nothing is similiar between those teams other than they play in the NFL and they are allowed to have 11 players on the field at the same time. Thats were the similarities end. Thats why you are likely never to see an aggressive play style from our coach offensively until the offense is more consistently producing. 

To me this is a cop-out because Allen the last 2 games has been good enough to beat those teams, and McD still coached the same way.

And there's no excuse for bad clock management no matter how bad the team is. Those situations with critical thinking are not going to change if we do add quality talent to the offense and become a good team. If anything, they're going to intensify. 

2 minutes ago, HomeskillitMoorman said:

To me this is a cop-out because Allen the last 2 games has been good enough to beat those teams, and McD still coached the same way.

And there's no excuse for bad clock management no matter how bad the team is. Those situations with critical thinking are not going to change if we do add quality talent to the offense and become a good team. If anything, they're going to intensify. 

What? 

Its not a cop out.

At then end of the first quarter Allen from carrying the team on his shoulders literally showed a gimpy demeanor on the side of the field regarding his legs.

Mckenzie and Foster both were sidelined a couple of times during big hits. 

Shady played 1.2 nano seconds.

Our guard got rolled up on pretty badly.

It wasnt  the same, we werent playing against the same folks, we werent playing against the same defense.

Its not necessarily bad clock management, without knowing his intent.

If his intent was as I stated earlier getting out of the halftime without turning the ball over and giving the opposing team another opportunity  to score in order to revist and revise the ineffective portion of the gameplan isnt bad clock management; it’s actually pretty smart and effective. Once again just because you see Brady Brees Rams chiefs attempt to march down the field with two minites left doesnt mean its right for this team. 

Because conversly if it fails and the other team scores then you just made it worse.