McDermott is going to cost us in a big game

He costs us a lot of games as his philosophy does not work in today's game.  He plays for 3 point games and sucks the fun out of football.  The Bills should have won by 14, but again conservative coaching, drop after drop and special teams killed them.

But for those fixated on the draft, I guess this is the result you wanted. 

46 minutes ago, HomeskillitMoorman said:

From having an injured kicker go for a 54 yarder to the 2 runs on 1st and 2nd at the Jets 23 on the second to last drive...this conservative garbage is so incredibly frustrating. I just don't understand it. Is the point of the game to keep it close or to go for the win? Even when we're 4-8 the guy just won't go for it. Give Allen more than 1 shot on that set of downs to make a play. Stop playing for a field goal. 

You can see this coming a mile away, sometime in the future if we make it back to the playoffs, his brutal gameday management and conservativeness is going to bite us hard at the end of a game. 

You do realize that he doesn't call the offensive plays right?

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, HomeskillitMoorman said:

From having an injured kicker go for a 54 yarder to the 2 runs on 1st and 2nd at the Jets 23 on the second to last drive...this conservative garbage is so incredibly frustrating. I just don't understand it. Is the point of the game to keep it close or to go for the win? Even when we're 4-8 the guy just won't go for it. Give Allen more than 1 shot on that set of downs to make a play. Stop playing for a field goal. 

You can see this coming a mile away, sometime in the future if we make it back to the playoffs, his brutal gameday management and conservativeness is going to bite us hard at the end of a game. 

Where do people get this conservative narrative from?  Bills are aggressive all the time, going for big plays, trick plays, long balls, etc.  We are among the leaders (if not the one with the most) in taking shots down field.  

Everytime a play doesnt work out this board paints this narrative that it means something specific.  The last thing I think on a Sunday is that this team is “conservative”.  We take more big shots than most teams.  We unfortunately aren’t talented enough to convert as many as we would like thanks to bad OL protection and low quality weapons to throw to.

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

We've had 27 regular season games to assess McDermott and I 100% agree......he's not good on Sundays.

Now maybe he's good Monday-Saturday, I wouldn't know, but on Sunday, the day when games are decided he's clueless.  Clock management, timeout usage, challenges, agressiveness are all areas where he stinks.

2 weeks in a row he's handled end of the half clock management situations like a coach who just doesn't get it.  We lost an opportunity to score vs the Dolphins at the end of the 1st half, because he was too dumb to call TO's when the Phins had the ball inside the 10 and were bleeding clock to prevent us a possession.

His explanation after that game for why he wasnt using timeouts to preserve additional time for a Bills offense was pathetic.  He said he didnt really like the way his offense was playing and he didnt want to go 3 and out and give the Phins another opportunity to score before half.  

If your offense had trouble scoring points you should be thinking the exact opposite.....you should attempt to maximize their possessions and opportunities to score points  not minimize them.  Here you have McDermott fretting "well what if we go 3 and out, the Dolphins could maybe score again".  That's such a lame and defeated attitude to have and frankly one that I want no where near my sideline.

Edited by Estro
  • Like (+1) 1

49 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

I said it in another thread.

The Jets last drive in our territory with about two minutes left, Jets with 2 TOs he was waving his arms furiously for the refs to run the clock. 

The clock was the least of their problems st that point. Just force the Jets into a 4th down and a FG try. 

It sums up his clueless in in game situations and his ultra conservative mindset. He wants to get a lead and essentially run the ball while playing good defense until the clock runs out. That has to change as Allen develops and becomes a better QB. 

Spot on assessment- I think its important to remember the cards he is dealt right now. The horse stable is bare man- I wanna give him 1 more year. It is tough to coach when offense and special teams is a cluster. Today he can start by firing Crossman. After that start strategizing with the offense and what we need in the offseason.

Edited by billsfan_34

4 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Where do people get this conservative narrative from?  Bills aggressive all the time, going for big plays, trick plays, long balls, etc.  We are among the leaders (if not the one with the most) in taking shots down field.  

Everytime a play doesnt work out this board paints this narrative that it means something specific.  The last thing I think on a Sunday is that this team is “conservative”.  We take more big shots than most teams.  We unfortunately aren’t talented enough to convert as many as we would like thanks to bad OL protection and low quality weapons to throw to.

McDermott's game management is EXTREMELY conservative. He didn't want to go for it on the Jets 36 when we had an injured kicker and then we ran it twice on the 2nd to last drive in a tie game from the Jets 23 and gave Allen 1 play. He was coaching for a FG. And as others mentioned here, he was waving furiously at the refs to run the clock when the Jets were in our territory down 3 with 2 timeouts...we didn't need the clock to run there, we needed it to stop to have more time on our possession as the Jets were very likely to either tie or take the lead there. 

Everything he does in his game management is about just trying to keep the game close, he doesn't go for the throat to win the game. 

48 minutes ago, 4_kidd_4 said:

It’s the overall sloppiness and lack of situational awareness that gets me.

No one is ever going to mistake Mc for being Belichick or any top line elite coach. His game day adjustments and clock management are clearly weak. I appreciate his enthusiasm minus the incessant clapping, but unfortunately his conservative style does scare me. He learns from his mistakes but it takes longer than most to realize them. His 3rd year may be the make or break season. He and Brandon have to upgrade this OL/WR corp. And stop this ST unit from bleeding out. Our defense is good and our new QB has talent. Next year he won't have the luxury of "costing us a game". 

• Like (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, Antonio said:

I didn´t like the defensive game plan. They were playing coverage insted of pressure. 

The lack of pressure on Darnold got me - the kid is a turnover machine, but especially when pressured. Tre had one of his worst games of his career in the secondary, and injuries aside our run defense was up and down. I can see some of the points conceded on short field situations thanks to special teams, but defensively we seemed to be a different team yesterday than from previous weeks, both in game plan and performance. Would really like to see the cover 1 breakdowns for why. 

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, quinnearlysghost88 said:

Let me know when we play in a big game. 

If Allen turns out to be the real deal, which it looks like he could...we will be soon enough. Anytime you have a legit franchise QB, you're going to win some games. 

I'm not sure the team will be put in the best position to win if it happens though. 

Isn't the question every owner and GM should be asking themselves is "can I envision this coach holding up the Lombardi Trophy?"  Honestly, as much as I liked Marv Levy, after the third Super Bowl loss, the gross embarrassment 50 point blowout to the Cowboys, there was no way I could envision Marv winning a Super Bowl.  Honestly, can you envision McDermott winning a Super Bowl?  I can't. 

13 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Do ppl understand that the talent of the team is not good in a rebuilding year?

nobody questions the decisions of the hc when they win but we are not winning this year

take a deep breath and realize the team is not going to win this year

What does that have to do with his horrific game management skills? We've seen good, competitive teams get sunk by poor game management. 

I wouldn't have cared if we lost the last 2 weeks if McDermott had put this team in the best position to succeed. He didn't. We're not a playoff team either way, but it's still a problem going forward. That's something that can hurt you even if you have a good team. 

41 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

The penalties are a big problem.  That many penalties, either you have guys who are not being taught/coached the right way

Or you have guys who just can't learn

Some penalties in the league are always going to be ticky-tack or wrong.  But we make too many penalties (and other mistakes) that are justified, and dumb, for a well-coached team.

At some point the HC needs to instill in the players that stupid penalties simply won't be tolerated. Which means either benching a player after they do this or outright cutting a repeat offender. The players need to learn there are consequences for being stupid and hurting the entire team.

That said, Dion Dawkins might have set that whole Jets team on fire with his chop block to start the game. A play like that is not only illegal, its downright wrong and can be career ending. The Jets player in question (Jenkins) was furious over that play and I'm sure he let his teammates know that fact. 

1 hour ago, HomeskillitMoorman said:

Wait, you think McDermott is going to get the team to a "big game?"

1 minute ago, The_Dude said:

Wait, you think McDermott is going to get the team to a "big game?"

Got us to the biggest game the Bills have had in the last 17 years.  

21 minutes ago, st pete gogolak said:

Isn't the question every owner and GM should be asking themselves is "can I envision this coach holding up the Lombardi Trophy?"  Honestly, as much as I liked Marv Levy, after the third Super Bowl loss, the gross embarrassment 50 point blowout to the Cowboys, there was no way I could envision Marv winning a Super Bowl.  Honestly, can you envision McDermott winning a Super Bowl?  I can't. 

This is the worst version of the eye test.