McDermott is going to cost us in a big game

From having an injured kicker go for a 54 yarder to the 2 runs on 1st and 2nd at the Jets 23 on the second to last drive...this conservative garbage is so incredibly frustrating. I just don't understand it. Is the point of the game to keep it close or to go for the win? Even when we're 4-8 the guy just won't go for it. Give Allen more than 1 shot on that set of downs to make a play. Stop playing for a field goal. 

You can see this coming a mile away, sometime in the future if we make it back to the playoffs, his brutal gameday management and conservativeness is going to bite us hard at the end of a game. 

• Like (+1) 8
  • Thank you (+1) 4

2 minutes ago, 4_kidd_4 said:

It’s the overall sloppiness and lack of situational awareness that gets me.

It's that too. The penalties have been a huge problem. 

But the situational awareness, game and clock management, and conservativeness are the biggest concerns for me. We see things like that sink teams in big games all the time. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, HomeskillitMoorman said:

But the situational awareness, game and clock management, and conservativeness are the biggest concerns for me. We see things like that sink teams in big games all the time. 

...lead the league with 50+ offensive penalties and are 2nd overall only to the Chiefs...................

Just now, ScottLaw said:

I said it in another thread.

The Jets last drive in our territory with about two minutes left, Jets with 2 TOs he was waving his arms furiously for the refs to run the clock. 

The clock was the least of their problems st that point. Just force the Jets into a 4th down and a FG try. 

It sums up his clueless in in game situations and his ultra conservative mindset. He wants to get a lead and essentially run the ball while playing good defense until the clock runs out. That has to change as Allen develops and becomes a better QB. 

What bothers me though is he was already good enough to win yesterday's game. That loss would sit perfectly fine with me if I felt like he had gotten those extra opportunities to make a play and wasn't able to. I don't care about that last INT on the last drive, things like that will happen to a young QB when they try to force it in that spot. But coaching for a FG twice there is tough to deal with. 

• Like (+1) 2

Agreed.

The FG attempt from 55 was playing scared, the conservativeness of the offense was scared, the lack of aggression from the defense was not to lose, etc.. I really hated the fact after two weeks of being aggressive and attacking they played not to lose and it bit them in the butt.

• Like (+1) 6

9 minutes ago, HomeskillitMoorman said:

From having an injured kicker go for a 54 yarder to the 2 runs on 1st and 2nd at the Jets 23 on the second to last drive...this conservative garbage is so incredibly frustrating. I just don't understand it. Is the point of the game to keep it close or to go for the win? Even when we're 4-8 the guy just won't go for it. Give Allen more than 1 shot on that set of downs to make a play. Stop playing for a field goal. 

You can see this coming a mile away, sometime in the future if we make it back to the playoffs, his brutal gameday management and conservativeness is going to bite us hard at the end of a game. 

McDermott was at his absolute worst yesterday.

He's done a good job in certain areas but bottom line is he's only 8 wins and 15 losses since that hot 5-2 start last year and how would he look if Hauschka wasn't amazing on all these 50+ yard kicks?  With Hausch struggling we are finding out the past two weeks.

He's too conservative and he needs to re-evaluate his approach this offseason.

He definitely has the look of a coach who could take the better team and QB into a postseason game and be one-and-done.

The lack of situational awareness on-field too.

The call to throw it to Allen was a garbage playcall to begin with,  BUT if you’re gonna call ityou have to have it drilled into Zay’s head that if it’s not there pull it and run. He could have easily scooted up the gut for the 3 yards, instead it somehow turned into a corner fade and Alled layed out hard.

25 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

The Jets last drive in our territory with about two minutes left, Jets with 2 TOs he was waving his arms furiously for the refs to run the clock. 

The clock was the least of their problems st that point. Just force the Jets into a 4th down and a FG try. 

It sums up his clueless in in game situations and his ultra conservative mindset. He wants to get a lead and essentially run the ball while playing good defense until the clock runs out. That has to change as Allen develops and becomes a better QB. 

That drove me nuts! The Bills needed to clock to stop, and he's begging them to roll it. What was he thinking??

17 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

He's too conservative and he needs to re-evaluate his approach this offseason.

He's killing me.  How do you look around the league at what aggressive play-callers are doing and still have this mindset?  It's mind-numbing.  I hope somebody has his ear and can get through to him.  Maybe having more talent on the offensive side of the ball (and an NFL-worthy OL) will give him more confidence?

Anyway, it's my single biggest issue with the team right now.  Well, and Crossman.

• Like (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

The question becomes will this actually change if Allen improves, or is McDermott just wired this way permanently.

Based off how he talks about running the ball, controlling the clock and establishing the line of scrimmage, I think what you see is what you're always going to get.

The Bills played the whole second half as if they were just bleeding the clock waiting for it to expire, holding onto a 20-13 lead. 

Unless you're defense can rush the passer and defend a one dimensional passing attack (we got zero pressure on Darnold yesterday), I think this strategy is destined to fail. 

4 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

That drove me nuts! The Bills needed to clock to stop, and he's begging them to roll it. What was he thinking??

That's a pattern with McDermott. He's probably hoping for a missed FG there instead of thinking about the fact that the Jets are most likely to tie or take the lead, and that we're the ones who need the clock to stop for our last possession. 

He does that all the time, whether it's at the end of the first half or end of the game. Zero situational awareness whatsoever. 

• Like (+1) 1

Everyone hates conservative play calls, especially because its so easy to do from the couch.  Problem is, most of the people complaining about coaching do not have the foggiest idea what coaches do day in and day out, aside from situational football.  And even then they are operating with the benefit of hindsight. 

Hauschka is one of our best players.  When the game is on the line, you go with the talent.  The offense wasn't exactly stellar. There was no reason to believe they could continue to reliably move the ball when McD went for the 55 yarder.  It was the smart choice. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, eball said:

He's killing me.  How do you look around the league at what aggressive play-callers are doing and still have this mindset?  It's mind-numbing.  I hope somebody has his ear and can get through to him.  Maybe having more talent on the offensive side of the ball (and an NFL-worthy OL) will give him more confidence?

Anyway, it's my single biggest issue with the team right now.  Well, and Crossman.

You would think...but the problem with that thinking is Allen was good enough to win that game yesterday, and we still saw the same McD. It looks like this is just who he is, and it's a problem. 

33 minutes ago, HomeskillitMoorman said:

The penalties are a big problem.  That many penalties, either you have guys who are not being taught/coached the right way

Or you have guys who just can't learn

Some penalties in the league are always going to be ticky-tack or wrong.  But we make too many penalties (and other mistakes) that are justified, and dumb, for a well-coached team.

McDermott as a HC needs to take a big step, no doubt.

8 minutes ago, 4_kidd_4 said:

The lack of situational awareness on-field too.

The call to throw it to Allen was a garbage playcall to begin with,  BUT if you’re gonna call ityou have to have it drilled into Zay’s head that if it’s not there pull it and run. He could have easily scooted up the gut for the 3 yards, instead it somehow turned into a corner fade and Alled layed out hard.

Exactly