Big Picture: I am optimistic

I agree, I too am very optimistic going forward.  And as frustrating as these last couple weeks have been, I would much rather have Allen learn these tough lessons this year.  He will be better for it later.  I expect that next year's team will look remarkably different, and in theory should have improvements in key areas such as OL and WR.  

I'm always optimistic about the Bills.

I do think that the future is bright. We finally have a QB that could be very good to great for us for a long time. Josh Allen still makes mistakes, but he's a competitor and I have confidence that he's the kind of player who will do everything he can to improve his game for as long as he can.

No question the Bills must get better on offense. Imagine if Allen had a consistent pocket to throw in, and better talent at receiver. How many dropped passes were there yesterday?

I want to see the Bills go heavy on offense in free agency, then go 50/50 on offense and defense in the draft. Yes, we do need more help on the defensive side of the ball.

How big of a challenge will it be for us to sign quality players in free agency? Yes, we will have a lot of money to spend, but so will a bunch of other teams. I believe there are 2 or 3 teams that have more cap space than we do. Let's see what McBeane can do in this area.

Just now, PetermanThrew5Picks said:

There's a dude named Greedy?

Yep. From Louisiana State.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 hours ago, thebandit27 said:

Yup...all true.  If Allen's words mean anything, then he's got the mental approach right.

Of course, you know as well as anyone that actions (especially those in the offseason--with extra emphasis on a rookie QB's first offseason) speak far, far louder than words.

We actually have a precautionary tale coming to town this week as the opposing QB.

Matt Stafford.......aka Stat Padford........who is in his 10th season of always comfortably being one of the 10 most gifted QB's in the NFL and yet continues to have a losing career record.

The great ones always find a way to keep a chip on their shoulder...........I always picture Stafford as a guy who just can't find that edge to push him and therefore despite immense talent subsequently never turns into a guy who can appreciably elevate the level of those around him.

6 hours ago, MrEpsYtown said:

That's all you had to type. We having been saying for years that once you get the quarterback straight everything else kind of works it self out. We have our guy. Yes he has some things to work on, but he's going to work his ass off his entire career. He's guy. 

We need some o-linemen in free agency, we need a reciever, and a tight end. We need a defensive tackle as well, and perhaps a defensive end. But we have that cornerstone piece...now we can really build a team. 

If being a good QB came down to hard work, EJ Manuel, Tyrod Taylor, and Nate Peterman would all be superstars.

Great post. I think I can say I agree with all of it. 

While I always root for a win knowing we're out of the playoffs and can get better draft position helps it not hurt so bad. I'm always torn between wins for Allen's confidence or loses for a good draft position which would hopefully be traded for more picks. 

The biggest positive I've seen from Allen? He seems to learn from his mistakes. He's reading defenses better, he's learning to throw it away, he'll learn now to protect the ball better and it'll just keep coming. He's a rookie but is smart and will only get better. And yesterday he did throw at least 1 or 2 touch passes that had some air under them and weren't rockets which was a first I'd seen in a game. 

Its just his completions and runs mind you, but the velocity, accuracy and decisiveness in the face of pressure is impressive in this reel -

https: www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcgd4eTyPbA

(much like the last two weeks as well)

There is no actual Bills fan that could be anything but giddy about what we're seeing here.

• Like (+1) 1

55 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

If being a good QB came down to hard work, EJ Manuel, Tyrod Taylor, and Nate Peterman would all be superstars.

None of those guys have the talent that Josh does. Tyrod has some skills, but he's not a quarterback.  Allen has got  the ability and is going to work hard. 

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, RyanC883 said:

4.  Key for me is if Allen's accuracy and touch will improve.  Bills need to get a dedicated QB coach.  Allen has all the tools, but so far, I've seen little improvement other than pocket awareness (which is big, but then the ball zooms w/o touch, and inaccurately). 

Yup!

<_<

• Sad 1

I am optimistic too

We lose at home to the worst team in football

My favorite player is out for the season

Haushka is blind sided with no call from the refs

Our QB leads the team in rushing yet nobody sees the need to resign Matt Barkley, lets just draft a QB in round 7

AND......and......my beer is warm

8 hours ago, RPbillsfan said:

Looking realistically the Bills will probably finish 6-10.  Based on my schedule review here is how I see the teams finishing up:

49ers 3-13 - Nick Bosa

Raiders - 3-13 - Greedy Williams

Cardinals 4-12 - Quentin Williams

Jets 4-12 - Clelin Ferrell

Jaguars - Justin HERBERT

Falcons - 5-11 - Ed Oliver

Lions 5-11 - Josh Allen

Browns - 5-10-1- N'keal Harry

Bills 6-10 - 

If the draft falls this way, who would you select assuming we do the following in FA

Before:

Position chance Dawkins to G

In FA

Sign - 

C - Matt Parrades

T - Daryl Williams

WR - Tyrell Williams

These signings and moves would put together 4/5 of a really good offensive line, Mills could remain as swing back-up tackle, Bodine as back-up center, then would need to draft a T high in the draft

Signing Tyrell would give Bills a big #2 receivers with Robert Foster as deep speed guy, Zay Jones in the slot and Isaiah McKenzie working as the gadget guy.

Looking for your feedback.

i'm still taking the best available tackle....

7 hours ago, BillsFan130 said:

All valid points. Just honestly don’t know about Mcd.

Seeems like a good coach Monday through Saturday for the most part but I really don’t think he knows how to properly manage a game on Sunday.

People last year were saying he’s a rookie HC and will learn, but he really hasn’t yet IMO

hopefully this is the off season where he realizes this is a business and loyalty means no job soon.....get rid of juan and crossman. let daboll hire his assistants amd cut the ties with frazier. either take over the defense himself or hire someone like schwartz.

12 minutes ago, HOUSE said:

I am optimistic too

We lose at home to the worst team in football

My favorite player is out for the season

Haushka is blind sided with no call from the refs

Our QB leads the team in rushing yet nobody sees the need to resign Matt Barkley, lets just draft a QB in round 7

AND......and......my beer is warm

i feel ya....

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, SomeDudeAtHome said:

Great post. I think I can say I agree with all of it. 

While I always root for a win knowing we're out of the playoffs and can get better draft position helps it not hurt so bad. I'm always torn between wins for Allen's confidence or loses for a good draft position which would hopefully be traded for more picks. 

The biggest positive I've seen from Allen? He seems to learn from his mistakes. He's reading defenses better, he's learning to throw it away, he'll learn now to protect the ball better and it'll just keep coming. He's a rookie but is smart and will only get better. And yesterday he did throw at least 1 or 2 touch passes that had some air under them and weren't rockets which was a first I'd seen in a game. 

it would be great to round out the season with a smackdown in ne and the fish at home. i would be very satisfied no matter the record.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, 34-78-83 said:

There is no actual Bills fan that could be anything but giddy about what we're seeing here.

Exactly correct. Unfortunately, many young fans have no patience and must have everything immediately. They only understand that they aren't getting what others seem to be getting at this very singular moment in time, and are constantly bemoaning the things over which they have no control

"We should have Mahomes. We should have JuJu. Why is everyone else happy but me???"

The only way you're not giddy about what you're seeing is because you choose not to be.

That doesn't mean we don't see areas for improvement, and have areas for concern. Starting with special teams. But damn, people, enjoy this journey. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

The Jets game was kind of the perfect loss for lack of a better phrase The mistakes that lost the game were mostly on the special teams unit (which is an easy unit to fix resources wise, esp when you have a good kicker in place) and the game showcased a lot of positive features of the team (Although some negative ones too.) The loss of course not only helps with draft position but it also helps that the Jets get lower in the draft too. Overall I am not too distraught about the loss other than the Milano injury.

• Like (+1) 2

17 minutes ago, LABillzFan said:

Exactly correct. Unfortunately, many young fans have no patience and must have everything immediately. They only understand that they aren't getting what others seem to be getting at this very singular moment in time, and are constantly bemoaning the things over which they have no control

"We should have Mahomes. We should have JuJu. Why is everyone else happy but me???"

The only way you're not giddy about what you're seeing is because you choose not to be.

That doesn't mean we don't see areas for improvement, and have areas for concern. Starting with special teams. But damn, people, enjoy this journey. 

AMEN! 

So, to be clear, are we firing everybody now? Or do we get to wait? 

I’m down with differing opinions. But opinions based upon 20/20 hindsight are irritating. 

Enjoying this thread Op . 

Some well thought out responses too.

?

28 minutes ago, Augie said:

AMEN! 

So, to be clear, are we firing everybody now? Or do we get to wait? 

I’m down with differing opinions. But opinions based upon 20/20 hindsight are irritating. 

You will have to wait until the Monday after our next loss. "FIRE EVERYONE! I Demand accountability and instant gratification"

Edited by Ned Kelly
Auto correct