Big Picture: I am optimistic

We should have 2 or 3 more wins right now.  With every loss we climb higher in the draft order.  That's an upside to the losses.  

Yesterday should be the end of Danny Crossman.  His record coming in from Detroit was abysmal.  It seems that his earlier successes in Carolina were the only reason he got the job.  He's earned a dismissal.  That's an upside too.  

I root hard for a win every week.  I try to see the positives, but I also see next year as our big opportunity.  With a lot of cap space and draft picks, I trust that they will turn it around quickly.  We played a difficult schedule, and aside from some ridiculous games (Ravens, Bears, Chargers), we've been competitive.  Our defense looks very promising.  

I think Josh Allen is going to be a superstar.  If they can build a good line in front of him and get him a star WR, it won't take long for the offense to catch up to the defense.

The draft is the key.  Look at last year's draft.  Cleveland drafting the DB from Ohio State instead of Chubb changed the entire draft for us.  It enabled us to only have to trade one of our first rounders (instead of both had we traded with Denver instead of Tampa), and as a result we were able to get Edmunds.  Fixture at MLB.  If we end up with a top 10 pick, this will give Beane flexibility to maneuver and get more picks.  Losing is winning.  

Of course we want to win out, but an extra loss or two can be a good thing.  In the big picture.  

Fire away.  I'll try not to take it personally.

• Like (+1) 18
  • Thank you (+1) 4

8 minutes ago, TC in St. Louis said:

We should have 2 or 3 more wins right now.  With every loss we climb higher in the draft order.  That's an upside to the losses.  

Yesterday should be the end of Danny Crossman.  His record coming in from Detroit was abysmal.  It seems that his earlier successes in Carolina were the only reason he got the job.  He's earned a dismissal.  That's an upside too.  

I root hard for a win every week.  I try to see the positives, but I also see next year as our big opportunity.  With a lot of cap space and draft picks, I trust that they will turn it around quickly.  We played a difficult schedule, and aside from some ridiculous games (Ravens, Bears, Chargers), we've been competitive.  Our defense looks very promising.  

I think Josh Allen is going to be a superstar.  If they can build a good line in front of him and get him a star WR, it won't take long for the offense to catch up to the defense.

The draft is the key.  Look at last year's draft.  Cleveland drafting the DB from Ohio State instead of Chubb changed the entire draft for us.  It enabled us to only have to trade one of our first rounders (instead of both had we traded with Denver instead of Tampa), and as a result we were able to get Edmunds.  Fixture at MLB.  If we end up with a top 10 pick, this will give Beane flexibility to maneuver and get more picks.  Losing is winning.  

Of course we want to win out, but an extra loss or two can be a good thing.  In the big picture.  

Don't take it personally.  We are all Bills fans here and want the team to win.  Here are my thoughts:

1.  If Crossman is gone, the loss is almost worth it yesterday.  ST has been abysmal, largely due to horrid coaching. 

2.  The D does look promising, but it looked old yesterday.  No hits on Darnold??!   That's either Frazier, or age.  In any event, drafting a pass-rushing freak in the 1st round will help.  (another Josh Allen!  LB-KY, or Ed Oliver.)

3.  I also share your optimism that the FO will bring in quality players.  Not to mention the fact that Foster looks much improved in-season.  People said he was a burner, he is running some great routes.  Zay should be even better. 

4.  Key for me is if Allen's accuracy and touch will improve.  Bills need to get a dedicated QB coach.  Allen has all the tools, but so far, I've seen little improvement other than pocket awareness (which is big, but then the ball zooms w/o touch, and inaccurately). 

5.  FA: Center, TE, and whatever studs you can get. 

Draft: BPA (pass rusher); WR in rd. 2; then we still need OL, RB, etc.

• Like (+1) 2

13 minutes ago, TC in St. Louis said:

I think Josh Allen is going to be a superstar.  

That's all you had to type. We having been saying for years that once you get the quarterback straight everything else kind of works it self out. We have our guy. Yes he has some things to work on, but he's going to work his ass off his entire career. He's guy. 

We need some o-linemen in free agency, we need a reciever, and a tight end. We need a defensive tackle as well, and perhaps a defensive end. But we have that cornerstone piece...now we can really build a team. 

• Like (+1) 3

10 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

Don't take it personally.  We are all Bills fans here and want the team to win.  Here are my thoughts:

1.  If Crossman is gone, the loss is almost worth it yesterday.  ST has been abysmal, largely due to horrid coaching. 

2.  The D does look promising, but it looked old yesterday.  No hits on Darnold??!   That's either Frazier, or age.  In any event, drafting a pass-rushing freak in the 1st round will help.  (another Josh Allen!  LB-KY, or Ed Oliver.)

3.  I also share your optimism that the FO will bring in quality players.  Not to mention the fact that Foster looks much improved in-season.  People said he was a burner, he is running some great routes.  Zay should be even better. 

4.  Key for me is if Allen's accuracy and touch will improve.  Bills need to get a dedicated QB coach.  Allen has all the tools, but so far, I've seen little improvement other than pocket awareness (which is big, but then the ball zooms w/o touch, and inaccurately). 

The personnel moves and Allen's approach to the offseason are of equal importance.

He played yesterday like a guy who thinks it's OK to be inefficient and careless with the ball.............I am presuming that he doesn't actually believe that right now...........but that's how it looked and he's been getting a lot of heavy petting and excuses made for him in recent weeks so I just hope he has the capacity to treat this season like it was a failure and train like he is fighting for his job.

In a league where there are more physically gifted QB's than ever he is a freak even by those standards so if he can push himself to greatness it could cover up A LOT of inefficiencies wrt personnel decisions by the Bills organization for the next 15 years to come.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

The personnel moves and Allen's approach to the offseason are of equal importance.

He played yesterday like a guy who thinks it's OK to be inefficient and careless with the ball.............I am presuming that he doesn't actually believe that right now...........but that's how it looked and he's been getting a lot of heavy petting and excuses made for him in recent weeks so I just hope he has the capacity to treat this season like it was a failure and train like he is fighting for his job.

In a league where there are more physically gifted QB's than ever he is a freak even by those standards so if he can push himself to greatness it could cover up A LOT of inefficiencies wrt personnel decisions by the Bills organization for the next 15 years to come.

Yup...all true.  If Allen's words mean anything, then he's got the mental approach right.

Of course, you know as well as anyone that actions (especially those in the offseason--with extra emphasis on a rookie QB's first offseason) speak far, far louder than words.

• Like (+1) 2

I'm optimistic. The game changer for me was when the blow-outs stopped.

The Bills beat themselves the last two games... and we almost beat the Dolphins--who yesterday beat the Patsies.

I've said in other threads: the real future test will be how well the FO spends their new found cap wealth--I don't have a warm fuzzy on their judgement with pro player personnel decisions.

37 minutes ago, TC in St. Louis said:

I'm optimistic because of Allen.

I'm scared because of McDermott. 

Looking realistically the Bills will probably finish 6-10.  Based on my schedule review here is how I see the teams finishing up:

49ers 3-13 - Nick Bosa

Raiders - 3-13 - Greedy Williams

Cardinals 4-12 - Quentin Williams

Jets 4-12 - Clelin Ferrell

Jaguars - Justin HERBERT

Falcons - 5-11 - Ed Oliver

Lions 5-11 - Josh Allen

Browns - 5-10-1- N'keal Harry

Bills 6-10 - 

If the draft falls this way, who would you select assuming we do the following in FA

Before:

Position chance Dawkins to G

In FA

Sign - 

C - Matt Parrades

T - Daryl Williams

WR - Tyrell Williams

These signings and moves would put together 4/5 of a really good offensive line, Mills could remain as swing back-up tackle, Bodine as back-up center, then would need to draft a T high in the draft

Signing Tyrell would give Bills a big #2 receivers with Robert Foster as deep speed guy, Zay Jones in the slot and Isaiah McKenzie working as the gadget guy.

Looking for your feedback.

• Like (+1) 1

The question for 2019 is whether McD acquiesces to a more offensive style game and departs from this defense first conservative play-calling type mentality. 

Because all this talk about improving the offensive skill positions and line is for nothing if McD continues his current style. 

McD is not an innovative HC by any means, which is why I hope Beane gets in the HC's ear and tells him that if they want to have jobs in 2020 they start doing things differently.  

And that means strategically devaluing the defensive side of the ball and seeing if Allen can handle more on offense with better talent around him.   

Edited by BillsVet
grammar

20 minutes ago, RPbillsfan said:

Looking realistically the Bills will probably finish 6-10.  Based on my schedule review here is how I see the teams finishing up:

49ers 3-13 - Nick Bosa

Raiders - 3-13 - Greedy Williams

Cardinals 4-12 - Quentin Williams

Jets 4-12 - Clelin Ferrell

Jaguars - Justin HERBERT

Falcons - 5-11 - Ed Oliver

Lions 5-11 - Josh Allen

Browns - 5-10-1- N'keal Harry

Bills 6-10 - 

If the draft falls this way, who would you select assuming we do the following in FA

Before:

Position chance Dawkins to G

In FA

Sign - 

C - Matt Parrades

T - Daryl Williams

WR - Tyrell Williams

These signings and moves would put together 4/5 of a really good offensive line, Mills could remain as swing back-up tackle, Bodine as back-up center, then would need to draft a T high in the draft

Signing Tyrell would give Bills a big #2 receivers with Robert Foster as deep speed guy, Zay Jones in the slot and Isaiah McKenzie working as the gadget guy.

Looking for your feedback.

Those FA moves you laid out should be Plan A for the staff.  Tyrell Williams opposite Robert Foster will be fun to watch, especially if we fortify the OL with the C & T signings you described.  

All valid points. Just honestly don’t know about Mcd.

Seeems like a good coach Monday through Saturday for the most part but I really don’t think he knows how to properly manage a game on Sunday.

People last year were saying he’s a rookie HC and will learn, but he really hasn’t yet IMO

Allen is going to have his up and down games. I am not discouraged by his play. When the Bills put a better Oline in front of him and some play makers around him then he is capable of putting up the numbers most fans are looking for. I dont have a problem with Allen picking up chunks of yards when the middle of the field is open. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, RyanC883 said:

Or holding on Hughes which never gets called

3 minutes ago, Oldfan said:

A 6’5 250lbs quarterback who runs better than Vick is absurd 

He could be a good player. Part of me wishes he didn't play this year and we came out with a RPO offense with better linemen and WRs.

Edited by CuddyDark