What Was Your Favorite End of Season Loss That Was Soul Crushing

corta765

After yesterday's disaster of a loss that made you want to go crazy I wanted to do a therapeutic look at other times we have collapsed brilliantly. The Bills have created an incredible habit of losing games in late November/December that are utterly soul crushing, frustrating to the point you want to throw your TV, OR both at the same point. Here is a fun recap of some tremendous losses going back to 2010:

Nov 28th 2010: Steelers 19-16 OT over Bills. The famous Stevie "Why God" Drop game that I am still seeing a therapist to this day about. Seriously it was awful.

Nov 27th 2011: Jets 28-24 over Bills. Stevie drop 2.0 as Fitz hits him in the hands in a must win game to keep their playoff chances alive and he drops it. Also was the game he got a 15 yard PF for being a Jet and crashing

Jan 1st 2011: Pats 49-21 over Bills. Buffalo race out to a 21-0 lead over their hated rivals giving Bills fans some comfort to finally beat NE hard in their own building...Only to only 49 unanswered points. This wasn't madding as much as just pure embarrassing.

Dec 9th 2012: Rams 15-12 over Bills. Similar to the previous two weeks the Bills hold a slim lead and the defense blows it after playing shutdown throughout the game. In this game Buffalo had slim playoff hopes if they won and allowed Sam Bradford who went just 19/39 to go 84 yards after holding the Rams all day to win. The Bills preceded to get blown out by Seattle the next week up in Seattle effectively ending Chan Gailey's coaching tenure.

Dec 1st 2013: Falcons 34-31 OT over Bills. The last game mercifully in the Toronto series ends in utter heartache making you want to throw you TV after the Bills blow a 14-0 lead, 31-24 lead in the 4th, Stevie Johnson fumbles on the game winning drive on the ATL 30 when they were in FG range with 28 seconds left tied, and then Scott Chandler fumbles on the second play of overtime at mid field to give ATL the ball who scores on a FG. The definition of snatching defeat from the jaws of victory.

Dec 21st 2014: Raiders 26-24 over Bills . A week after a massive upset of the Packers to go to 8-6 and be solid positioning for the playoffs the Bills lose to a crappy Raiders team in Oakland. The Bills defense got hit with injuries, but the game swinging play happens on 3rd & 22 at Oakland's 19 when Corey Graham goes for the INT instead of batting the ball away from recent Bills Andre Holmes who gets a 51 yard completion and putting the Raiders in FG range. The Bills can't stop the Raiders who score a TD ending the Bills playoff hopes. This was a massive let down after such a huge high the week before.

Nov 29th 2015: Chiefs 30-22 over Bills. The Jaguar game early the season was worse but this game was also pretty bad and fits the criteria. Buffalo blows a 10-0 lead and 16-7 lead in the first half to fall behind 24-16 in the 3rd. The Bills offense after lighting it up with Sammy Watkins in the 1st half stops for some reason throwing to him and the Bills defense can't stop a beachball allowing 7 consecutive drives where the Chiefs score or miss a FG after the Bills go up 10-0.

Dec 13th 2015: Eagles 23-20 over Bills . Bills playoff chances die despite out-gaining the Eagles 412-348 and controlling the clock for nearly 10 mins more. Buffalo was the better team but like yesterday too many mistakes kill them.

Dec 24th 2016: Dolphins 34-31 OT over Bills. The famous Rex punt game which the Bills had to win to keep their playoff chances alive. This ruined Xmas eve for many families as the Bills punt on 4th and 2 on at mid field and then allow J. Ajayi to go 57 yards with just 10 men on the field. Making things even worse before this the Bills rallied hard after being down 14-0 and take the lead 31-28 with only 1:20 left when Miami's Andrew Franks hits a 55 yard FG in the weather. Two Dan Carpenter FG's cost the Bills a chance for victory.

Editors Note **2017 the Bills somehow make the playoffs and win all of these insanely close games that make you pull your hair out. That happened**

2018: Back to back weeks the offense gives the defense the lead and the defense blows it. Take you pick for which was more frustrating, for me the Jets was worse because of how long the team had the lead and the fact the defense wilted so badly in the clutch.

2004 game v. Steelers.  Steelers "backups" (a lot of whom become the core of the Steelers SB win a few years later) beat the Bills in a meaningless win for the Steelers.  Was the worst loss, esp. at the time.  And esp. since I was watching it with Steeler fans. 

• Like (+1) 10
  • Sad 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

2004 game v. Steelers.  Steelers "backups" (a lot of whom become the core of the Steelers SB win a few years later) beat the Bills in a meaningless win for the Steelers.  Was the worst loss, esp. at the time.  And esp. since I was watching it with Steeler fans. 

Haha that game was so embarrassing. Bledsoe was a joke that day. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

This one really sticks in my craw. Bledsoe threw 5 INTs in a game that the Bills D played lights out. https://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/200212220gnb.htm

The Bills were 7-7 at the time. Look at how the season ended: https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2002/.

(Also note the Bills lost a game in OT in the first game when the surrendered a KO return for a TD at the beginning of overtime right after tying it up on a dramatic pass from Bledsoe to Mulds to tie the score as time ran out in regulation. They never touched the ball. Yep ... NFL OT rules.) 

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

Yep its this 100%. Losing to some guy named Brian St. Pierre and a backup running back Willie Parker. Heartbreaker. 

2 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

This one really sticks in my craw. Bledsoe threw 5 INTs in a game that the Bills D played lights out. https://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/200212220gnb.htm

The Bills were 7-7 at the time. Look at how the season ended: https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2002/.

(Also note the Bills lost a game in OT in the first game when the surrendered a KO return for a TD at the beginning of overtime right after tying it up on a dramatic pass from Bledsoe to Mulds to tie the score as time ran out in regulation. They never touched the ball. Yep ... NFL OT rules.) 

I remember that one. I think the Bills got off like an 80 yard punt thanks to wind and roll. 

4 minutes ago, BringBackOrton said:

2013 Falcons, 2014 Raiders, and 2015 Chiefs were the worst.

The 2014 Raiders may have been the worst in a decade, tbh.  We had a team that could make noise in the playoffs that year.  Just an absolutely terrible loss.

Yea that game was so disappointing. The only reason I wouldn't say worst in a decade is Darues was out in the 2nd half along with I think Manny Lawson and one other player. The defense legitimately lost some teeth and the Raiders took advantage enough.

1 hour ago, RyanC883 said:

This.  Not even close for 2nd place.

Maybe the tank mentality has hit me hard..but yesterdays game did not get me upset in the least. Good game for Josh to learn..and we lose, which does not bother me at all. I only want wins right now if it means either derailing the Pats or Miami's playoff chances/ seeding. 

1 hour ago, RyanC883 said:

This is the king of them all. It took me a long time to get over that one. In fact, I still may not be.

• Like (+1) 1