What Was the Primary Reason the Bills Lost (NYJ)?

Gugny

What Was the Primary Reason the Bills Lost (NYJ)?  

171 members have voted

1. 1. What Was the Primary Reason the Bills Lost?

30 minutes ago, TC in St. Louis said:

Give Darnold some credit.  His passes were precise.  Especially the long one down the sidelines and the touchdown pass.  Those were incredible throws.  Into tight coverage, and they were perfect.

They were also great catches by his receiver.

Allen made the mistake of hitting Zay Jones in the hands and the chest a couple times. 

• Like (+1) 2

My buddy just sent me this via text. I think it’s a tweet he saw. Thought it fit in well here....

Bills ranked 31st entering Sunday in special-teams efficiency, per @ESPNStatsInfo. Ranks 400th out of 416 teams since ESPN started tracking stat in 2006. Another Danny Crossman-coached unit, the 2013 Bills, ranks 409th.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Magox said:

Special teams and red zone defense.

Over the past 2 weeks the number one culprit has been red zone defense.

We don't give up many yards but the yards the other teams have put up the past 2 weeks have led to points.

Last week Miami was 3 for 3 in the red zone and for that reason they won.

This week Jets were 2-3 in the red zone and that heavily contributed.    

We are top 2 in the league in yards given up yet we are in the middle of the pack in points allowed.  Last year it was the opposite.  The makings are there to have a very good defense but until they straighten out their red zone defense we won't be elite.

Currently Bills are 27th in the league in red zone defense.

Agreed. I was thinking the same thing given the Miami game, but this is pretty eye-opening.

Just now, Stank_Nasty said:

My buddy just sent me this via text. I think it’s a tweet he saw. Thought it fit in well here....

Bills ranked 31st entering Sunday in special-teams efficiency, per @ESPNStatsInfo. Ranks 400th out of 416 teams since ESPN started tracking stat in 2006. Another Danny Crossman-coached unit, the 2013 Bills, ranks 409th.

Hell yeah, it fits in here!

He should be fired today.  But Clap McClappermot won't do it.

33 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

Well, even though I think that the defense shoulders some responsibility, I think that they probably did enough if STs execute properly.

I would be happy to...I go to an awesome church!

Indeed--he made two really impressive throws to my former boy Robby Anderson (yeah, he's not my boy anymore now that he's revealed himself to be a scumbag)

I hear you, but allowing 24 points in 3 Q's is no bueno.  And allowing couple of long third down conversions.  Seems like we didn't get any big stops after the first Q.

20 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

didn't the special teams promptly let the jets down inside the 45 on the very next play after the td?

…. or was that the one where they promptly let them down inside the 10 after a score...

see a theme there?

I do think the d deserves some flack. but not the brunt of it. 

The Jets started with the ball in the RZ and we held them to three in the first Q.  That was the defenses' only big stop of the game.  Get off of the field.

1 hour ago, Magox said:

We don't give up many yards but the yards the other teams have put up the past 2 weeks have led to points.

We are top 2 in the league in yards given up yet we are in the middle of the pack in points allowed.  Last year it was the opposite.  The makings are there to have a very good defense but until they straighten out their red zone defense we won't be elite.

^This. Two weeks in a row our D gave up the lead late. I give credit to the opponents for making terrific plays, but if you’re as good a defense as you think you are, you have to shut the door. Especially in crunch time. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, BringBackOrton said:

I hear you, but allowing 24 points in 3 Q's is no bueno.  And allowing couple of long third down conversions.  Seems like we didn't get any big stops after the first Q.

You're right about that...certain players like Tre and Jerry Hughes definitely didn't have their best games

1 hour ago, Magox said:

That's interesting, but when the offense and special teams continually put the defense in terrible positions, it's tough to blame the defense.

Some people think (not necessarily you) that the defense should be holding teams to 0 points. Elite defenses still give up points. Opposing offenses are going to get points, even if you have an elite defense.

If the other two phases were holding their own, the defense would look even better.

2 hours ago, Gugny said:

What's the main reason the Bills lost yesterday?  Offense, Defense or Special Teams.

I realize all three had their crappy moments; but which team's ineptitude was the primary reason the Bills lost the game?

Our defense is good.  Mistakes kept putting them on the field, you can’t expect them to hold every single time in tough positions.  They had to deal with a short field frequently, and then losing Milano late didn’t help.  Anyone blaming the defense is over looking the real reason.  I mean to expect a defense to be perfect every drive is an impossible task.  Guys are being paid on the other side of the ball too, and when they have a short field just making one big play can swing a game like that long pass by Darnold late to Anderson.

Offensive miscues lost us this game, and the biggest culprit was the offensive line.  Allen made a bad rookie mistake in his first INT, but he was also running for his life like he did a lot last night when he threw the pick while trusting his arm too much.  Penalties and terrible protection were the unquestioned biggest culprit last night and it’s not even close.  Add in the dropped passes, and this is why we lost.  

Special Teams and Ultra Conservative playcalling in the red zone. 

After the Philly Special, it seems they were trying not to lose yardas and maintain a Field Gol position, insted of trying to score. I think they need to trust Allen a little bit more.

After the fumble recovery to start the 2nd hald they should have gone for the TD or big play to start the series, insted they run thruw the middle...

9 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Our defense is good.  Mistakes kept putting them on the field, you can’t expect them to hold every single time in tough positions.  They had to deal with a short field frequently, and then losing Milano late didn’t help.  Anyone blaming the defense is over looking the real reason.  I mean to expect a defense to be perfect every drive is an impossible task.  Guys are being paid on the other side of the ball too, and when they have a short field just making one big play can swing a game like that long pass by Darnold late to Anderson.

Offensive miscues lost us this game, and the biggest culprit was the offensive line.  Allen made a bad rookie mistake in his first INT, but he was also running for his life like he did a lot last night when he threw the pick while trusting his arm too much.  Penalties and terrible protection were the unquestioned biggest culprit last night and it’s not even close.  Add in the dropped passes, and this is why we lost.  

I don't think not allowing the 2018 NY Jets into the endzone is a lot to ask of the defense.  But I agree that they were FAR from the main reason the Bills lost.

Crossman should be fired today.  A Head Coach with balls would make that happen.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Gugny said:

I don't think not allowing the 2018 NY Jets into the endzone is a lot to ask of the defense.  But I agree that they were FAR from the main reason the Bills lost.

Crossman should be fired today.  A Head Coach with balls would make that happen.

Agreed on Crossman.  But as far as the Jets go, they have a young talented QB too who is going to make some plays.  Are the Jets a good team, no of course not.  But the Jets have 4 wins because they can make some plays here and there.  So giving them a short field so often means they only need to make one good pass and be in the Redzone, and that’s what happened.  

I mean Tre is an elite corner, but he’s not going to go an entire season where someone doesn’t make a catch on him.  And his coverage was good, that was just a perfect pass to where only Anderson could really catch it.  Really tough to defend a pass that is a perfect strike to where the WR is only one who can cleanly catch it.

3 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Agreed on Crossman.  But as far as the Jets go, they have a young talented QB too who is going to make some plays.  Are the Jets a good team, no of course not.  But the Jets have 4 wins because they can make some plays here and there.  So giving them a short field so often means they only need to make one good pass and be in the Redzone, and that’s what happened.  

I mean Tre is an elite corner, but he’s not going to go an entire season where someone doesn’t make a catch on him.  And his coverage was good, that was just a perfect pass to where only Anderson could really catch it.  Really tough to defend a pass that is a perfect strike to where the WR is only one who can cleanly catch it.

Anderson, who is a good player, also had a very nice subtle push-off that dramatically affected the play. It's the sort of push-off that's never called, so that makes it a good play by Anderson. Nothing White could do about that; it knocked him out of position and it's never gonna get called. 

• Like (+1) 1

McDermott. 

I won't say that we would have won if not for him, but coaching to keep it close instead of winning is not going to work most of the time in this league. 

Also it was his decision to keep Crossman, and the special teams unit is ultimately still under his umbrella as a head coach...it's still McDermott's responsibility. 

The offense allowed 46 to take cheap shots on their QB and offensive players all game and no one stood up to him. They need an enforcer to take care of players like him. Also 33 bullied the receivers all game and no one was tough enough to push back against him.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 1

Just now, CuddyDark said:

The offense allowed 46 to take cheap shots on their QB and offensive players all game and no one stood up to him. They need an enforcer to take care of players like him. Also 33 bullied the receivers all game and no one was tough enough to push back against him.

I was talking about this after I saw the Hauschka cheap shot, but someone mentioned he had a cheap shot of his own, I haven't seen that play yet.

But in general...the biggest example being last year with Gronk on Tre White, which is one of the dirtiest plays I've ever seen in my life...this team does not stand up to players when things like that happen. I'm still mad about that one and I'm not usually one to care much about things that happened in the past. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, HomeskillitMoorman said:

I was talking about this after I saw the Hauschka cheap shot, but someone mentioned he had a cheap shot of his own, I haven't seen that play yet.

But in general...the biggest example being last year with Gronk on Tre White, which is one of the dirtiest plays I've ever seen in my life...this team does not stand up to players when things like that happen. I'm still mad about that one and I'm not usually one to care much about things that happened in the past. 

They set a tone for the entire game. 46 & 33. Their Dline was playing well but it was those two who changed the game after we scored the first 14.