What Was the Primary Reason the Bills Lost (NYJ)?

Gugny

What Was the Primary Reason the Bills Lost (NYJ)?  

171 members have voted

1. 1. What Was the Primary Reason the Bills Lost?

6 minutes ago, Magox said:

Special teams and red zone defense.

Over the past 2 weeks the number one culprit has been red zone defense.

We don't give up many yards but the yards the other teams have put up the past 2 weeks have led to points.

Last week Miami was 3 for 3 in the red zone and for that reason they won.

This week Jets were 2-3 in the red zone and that heavily contributed.    

We are top 2 in the league in yards given up yet we are in the middle of the pack in points allowed.  Last year it was the opposite.  The makings are there to have a very good defense but until they straighten out their red zone defense we won't be elite.

Currently Bills are 27th in the league in red zone defense.

Wow...that's eye-opening to say the least.

Of course, I always say that the key to red zone defense is pressuring the passer, and this team hasn't been great at doing so without blitzing.

• Like (+1) 2

24 minutes ago, Magox said:

Special teams and red zone defense.

Over the past 2 weeks the number one culprit has been red zone defense.

We don't give up many yards but the yards the other teams have put up the past 2 weeks have led to points.

Last week Miami was 3 for 3 in the red zone and for that reason they won.

This week Jets were 2-3 in the red zone and that heavily contributed.    

We are top 2 in the league in yards given up yet we are in the middle of the pack in points allowed.  Last year it was the opposite.  The makings are there to have a very good defense but until they straighten out their red zone defense we won't be elite.

Currently Bills are 27th in the league in red zone defense.

we have a break but don't bend D

• Haha (+1) 2

45 minutes ago, Tenhigh said:

Is it possible that Allen is telling the O Line that every pass is a screen pass?

I am fascinated by Crossman's ability to retain his job.  I wonder what McD says to him this week. 

We are losing games now because of ST mistakes and lack of production. Crossman must not retain his job ASAP.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Special teams was a disaster (minus recovering the fumble by Jets). 

Offense was fine. 23 points on 368 yards and 34 minutes TOP is fine. 3 turnovers isn't good. 

Defense was mostly great. Of course, they crumbled in the clutch and gave up very untimely TDs. 

If our ST unit was just a bit below average, as opposed to a disaster, we win this game pretty easy. Jets wouldn't have been close enough to make a difference. 

48 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

The Jets and Bills each scored 3 points off turnovers 

No agenda here whatsoever 

Simple math will tell you that 2 missed FGs were the difference. Actually watching the game with no agenda would further tell you that horrific kickoff coverage was responsible for short fields on 3 scoring drives.

STs were the #1 reason far and away.

I want to like your posts, but the way you stretch to make every idiosyncrasy an Allen criticism really undermines your otherwise decent football takes.

Did Allen play a great game? No; too many turnovers and missed opportunities. But the fact is that the defense blew 2 different 4th quarter leads and STs failed to convert 2 other scoring drives into the points that would've won the game.

I disagree. 

We we were up 14-3 against a rookie QB. The vaunted #2 defense should be able to maintain that lead. Period.

49 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

The Jets and Bills each scored 3 points off turnovers 

No agenda here whatsoever 

Simple math will tell you that 2 missed FGs were the difference. Actually watching the game with no agenda would further tell you that horrific kickoff coverage was responsible for short fields on 3 scoring drives.

STs were the #1 reason far and away.

I want to like your posts, but the way you stretch to make every idiosyncrasy an Allen criticism really undermines your otherwise decent football takes.

Did Allen play a great game? No; too many turnovers and missed opportunities. But the fact is that the defense blew 2 different 4th quarter leads and STs failed to convert 2 other scoring drives into the points that would've won the game.

TAKE HIM TO CHURCH!!!!

1 minute ago, TC in St. Louis said:

Give Darnold some credit.  His passes were precise.  Especially the long one down the sidelines and the touchdown pass.  Those were incredible throws.  Into tight coverage, and they were perfect.

you are 100% correct..... his protection was also perfect.

…. must be nice.

3 minutes ago, BringBackOrton said:

I disagree. 

We we were up 14-3 against a rookie QB. The vaunted #2 defense should be able to maintain that lead. Period.

Well, even though I think that the defense shoulders some responsibility, I think that they probably did enough if STs execute properly.

3 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

TAKE HIM TO CHURCH!!!!

I would be happy to...I go to an awesome church!

3 minutes ago, TC in St. Louis said:

Give Darnold some credit.  His passes were precise.  Especially the long one down the sidelines and the touchdown pass.  Those were incredible throws.  Into tight coverage, and they were perfect.

Indeed--he made two really impressive throws to my former boy Robby Anderson (yeah, he's not my boy anymore now that he's revealed himself to be a scumbag)

17 minutes ago, BringBackOrton said:

I disagree. 

didn't the special teams promptly let the jets down inside the 45 on the very next play after the td?

…. or was that the one where they promptly let them down inside the 10 after a score...

see a theme there?

I do think the d deserves some flack. but not the brunt of it. 

1 minute ago, Stank_Nasty said:

didn't the special teams promptly let the jets down inside the 45 on the very next play after the td?

…. or was that the one where they promptly let them down inside the 10 after a score...

see a theme there?

I do think the d deserves some flack. but not the brunt of it. 

Agree. It has to be deflating to score and then continually give up huge returns.

Actual footage of the problem...

Excessive clapping by Sean McDermott,, our players are deaf

That coach next to McD is puking up his cookies and also wears hearing protection

Related image
Edited by HOUSE
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Defense did limit the Jets to some field goals in first half.  Jets started 4 drives inside Bills territory (not incl. end of game) and they scored 2 FG's and 1 TD.  

Jets offense really only made a few big plays all game.  Special teams gave Jets great field position and then the 2 missed Buffalo field goals did them in.  

If that pass play to Allen had worked and the special teams played just a little bit better Bills would have won this game.  

But every week there seems to be huge breakdowns in Bills overall play.   Turnovers to missed field goals and poor special teams to dropped passes to giving up the big plays.