Ball Security Not all that Important to Josh Allen

RobH063

53 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

It's like he (a) does not care, or (b) is stupid.  That interception is something that you should not be doing in HS, College, and he is doing it REPEATEDLY in the NFL.   MCD needs to tell him that he does it again, he is sitting the next drive. 

and the coach should say, "you deviate again, your going to deviate to the bench the next drive."   Pretty arrogant to be deviating from the coaching to heave the ball into the middle of the field when your not close to an all-pro. 

Peyton Manning should have been benched for sure after his rookie season.

• Haha (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, MJS said:

Peyton Manning should have been benched for sure after his rookie season.

Manning had a really solid rookie season, but yeah, he turned the ball over a lot.

You know whose ball security was exceptional as a rookie?  Andrew Luck.  Scored 23 TDs with only 19 TOs...really impressive...but he only completed 54% of his passes, so BUST

• Like (+1) 3

1 minute ago, thebandit27 said:

Manning had a really solid rookie season, but yeah, he turned the ball over a lot.

You know whose ball security was exceptional as a rookie?  Andrew Luck.  Scored 23 TDs with only 19 TOs...really impressive...but he only completed 54% of his passes, so BUST

Historical context is so over-rated.

2 hours ago, RobH063 said:

In Allen's press Conference yesterday, I was a little shocked when he said words to the effect of Coach McDermott preaches ball security all the time and there were a couple of plays where it wasn't the most important thing to me. How can ball security not be the most important thing every time you touch the ball? Yes, interceptions and fumbles are going to happen because he's playing against other professionals that are really good football players but scrambling and running toward the sideline and then throwing the ball across your body toward a receiver that's surrounded by several defenders because ball security isn't high on the priority list is a problem. Running with the football not tucked away like Shady McCoy is a problem. Most will say he's young, he's a rookie, he'll learn not to do those things. But will he? Is this kid even coachable? Am I supposed to believe that no coach anywhere in all the years he's been playing QB, has even tried to teach him about ball security? He's hearing all this for the first time now in the NFL? Or is he just not learning the lessons being taught to him? Every week we hear about how his footwork needs to improve to make him more accurate and once again yesterday, I saw numerous plays where his front foot is pointing one direction and he's throwing the ball another direction. His footwork hasn't really improved so if he doesn't listen to the preaching about ball security, are we to believe he's listening to the coaches about his footwork or anything else for that matter? I'm not a Josh Allen hater by any means. I hope the kid becomes the franchise QB for the Bills everyone hopes for, but I do question how much his physical talents and being told how great he is for several years has impeded his ability to be coached up so he learns and becomes the best QB he can be.

OK, let's have the exact wording from Allen's presser here, as quoted by a reporter who was there:

I’ve got to be smarter with the football,” Allen said. “I gave it away three times and I didn’t put us in great situations and great position. Coach (Sean) McDermott preaches ball security all the time, and there were a couple of plays where it just wasn’t the most important thing and it hurt us.

Interesting how highly selective and edited quoting can reverse the guy's meaning 100%.

Do Better, "RobH063"

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

OK, let's have the exact wording from Allen's presser here, as quoted by a reporter who was there:

I’ve got to be smarter with the football,” Allen said. “I gave it away three times and I didn’t put us in great situations and great position. Coach (Sean) McDermott preaches ball security all the time, and there were a couple of plays where it just wasn’t the most important thing and it hurt us.

Interesting how highly selective and edited quoting can reverse the guy's meaning 100%.

Do Better, "RobH063"

And Hapless with a flying clothesline!

You can't have it both ways at this point in his career. If you want a guy who is going to make a ton of plays and take risks, there will be wow plays and there will be mistakes. But at least we got a guy with some stones as opposed to watching Tyrod and EJ Manuel and Trent Edwards being afraid to pull the trigger. 

• Like (+1) 3

Look at the quote in context.

He's not saying ball security isn't important to him.

He's saying ball security was not the first thing on his mind during that particular fumble, and he was thinking more about making a play.

7 hours ago, Gugny said:

You ask a lot of questions.

Did you read them all? I was frightened away by so many words running on and on and....

And did anyone really think he was saying ball security is NOT important? You have to almost TRY to take THAT out of it. 

• Haha (+1) 1