Ball Security Not all that Important to Josh Allen

RobH063

In Allen's press Conference yesterday, I was a little shocked when he said words to the effect of Coach McDermott preaches ball security all the time and there were a couple of plays where it wasn't the most important thing to me. How can ball security not be the most important thing every time you touch the ball? Yes, interceptions and fumbles are going to happen because he's playing against other professionals that are really good football players but scrambling and running toward the sideline and then throwing the ball across your body toward a receiver that's surrounded by several defenders because ball security isn't high on the priority list is a problem. Running with the football not tucked away like Shady McCoy is a problem. Most will say he's young, he's a rookie, he'll learn not to do those things. But will he? Is this kid even coachable? Am I supposed to believe that no coach anywhere in all the years he's been playing QB, has even tried to teach him about ball security? He's hearing all this for the first time now in the NFL? Or is he just not learning the lessons being taught to him? Every week we hear about how his footwork needs to improve to make him more accurate and once again yesterday, I saw numerous plays where his front foot is pointing one direction and he's throwing the ball another direction. His footwork hasn't really improved so if he doesn't listen to the preaching about ball security, are we to believe he's listening to the coaches about his footwork or anything else for that matter? I'm not a Josh Allen hater by any means. I hope the kid becomes the franchise QB for the Bills everyone hopes for, but I do question how much his physical talents and being told how great he is for several years has impeded his ability to be coached up so he learns and becomes the best QB he can be.

5 minutes ago, RobH063 said:

In Allen's press Conference yesterday, I was a little shocked when he said words to the effect of Coach McDermott preaches ball security all the time and there were a couple of plays where it wasn't the most important thing to me. How can ball security not be the most important thing every time you touch the ball? Yes, interceptions and fumbles are going to happen because he's playing against other professionals that are really good football players but scrambling and running toward the sideline and then throwing the ball across your body toward a receiver that's surrounded by several defenders because ball security isn't high on the priority list is a problem. Running with the football not tucked away like Shady McCoy is a problem. Most will say he's young, he's a rookie, he'll learn not to do those things. But will he? Is this kid even coachable? Am I supposed to believe that no coach anywhere in all the years he's been playing QB, has even tried to teach him about ball security? He's hearing all this for the first time now in the NFL? Or is he just not learning the lessons being taught to him? Every week we hear about how his footwork needs to improve to make him more accurate and once again yesterday, I saw numerous plays where his front foot is pointing one direction and he's throwing the ball another direction. His footwork hasn't really improved so if he doesn't listen to the preaching about ball security, are we to believe he's listening to the coaches about his footwork or anything else for that matter? I'm not a Josh Allen hater by any means. I hope the kid becomes the franchise QB for the Bills everyone hopes for, but I do question how much his physical talents and being told how great he is for several years has impeded his ability to be coached up so he learns and becomes the best QB he can be.

You ask a lot of questions.

• Haha (+1) 6

1 minute ago, RobH063 said:

Would you prefer I start a new thread for each question I have like most people or put them all into one thread?

What I'd rather is that you give having a cents of humor a shot.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Don't see anything wrong with what he said:

I’ve got to be smarter with the football,” Allen said. “I gave it away three times and I didn’t put us in great situations and great position. Coach (Sean) McDermott preaches ball security all the time, and there were a couple of plays where it just wasn’t the most important thing and it hurt us.”

He's not saying ball security is not important to him, he is saying his decision on a couple plays made it look as though it wasn't.  He is basically saying ball security is crucial and he made 3 really bad mistakes. 

Edited by ricojes
  • Like (+1) 11
  • Thank you (+1) 3

1 hour ago, Gugny said:

What I'd rather is that you give having a cents of humor a shot.

Or even dollars 

1 hour ago, RobH063 said:

.... How can ball security not be the most important thing every time you touch the ball? ....

He saying based on result, it wasn’t important to him but infers it should’ve been. He’s owning it. 

I seem to recall that It took Farve some time to break that habbit of doing the more reckless stuff...  there’s hope. 

Also Darnold did the same thing as McDerm eluded to which resulted in Tremaines pick 

Edited by Over 29 years of fanhood
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Exactly that. He's taking responsibility for his failings in that regard and he'll be better for the experience in the long run. 

I honestly don't know how you could walk away from Allen's post game press conference thinking anything other than he was owning up to his mistakes, understood full well how important ball security is, and that he needs to do better.

I think the OP is misinterpreting the statement. There were several times Allen was talking about risk vs reward, as in when he was explaining the interception at the end of the game. He stated there was a little over a minute left on the clock and they had no timeouts - and they needed "large chunks" of yardage and "checkdowns" were not going to help them. I believe that was a moment when ball security wasn't the most important thing to him. He still admitted it was a bad pass; however, he was trying to push the ball deep close to the sidelines - a pass he might not have attempted otherwise. On the other hand, when he talked about the 1st interception he clearly stated it was too much risk for limited reward and that he cannot make those kinds of throws.

He owned up to some bad decisions. I'm good with that.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I can't remember who said it, I think Tony Romo but it was something along the lines that he'd like to see these young rookie QB's take more chances and if that means turning it over, so be it.

With that said, that was a horrible decision by Allen on that one pick and I'm sure that he'll learn from it.  

The last pick at the end of the game, I think he had predetermined that he was going to throw to Zay and was surprised to see the DB drift back.  Not a good play by Josh Allen and that play believe it or not to me is a little more difficult to learn from.  The first was just a bad decision, the second was not reading the play correctly.

Another area that Allen needs to work on is his touch.  Although Clay dropped that pass in the first half (Which he should have caught) it wasn't so much that it was too low which it was, I think it was somewhere around knee to thigh high it was that Clay had a couple steps on his man and he needed to recognize that he didn't have to hurry the pass as much as that he did and that in some circumstances it is ok to take something off the ball.  That could have been a huge gainer.    He's done that quite a few times this year where the receiver is not being tightly covered where he still tries to zing it in there when it is not necessary.   That is something else I believe he will make a huge leap in his second year.

There is a lot to be optimistic about Allen.  He is the offense and he's putting up good overall totals with a team that is devoid of playmakers and an offensive line.   

• Like (+1) 1

Try listening to the audio instead of just reading the text commentary before panties get into a wad. It's available in like 20 different places.

Much like (for many others) - Try watching the game instead of making assumptions off of the box score or game log.

The excuses for Allen, who has NEVER had a good completion percentage are getting classic.  "Dropped passes."  Guess who else has WR's that drop passes: Every QB in the NFL!   The O-line is terrible, but that does not make him heave the ball into the middle of the field for an easy INT instead of throwing it out of bounds.   It also does not make him have horrid ball placement on the final throw.  Contrast that to Darnold's ball placement to Anderson over one of the best CB's in the NFL (White).  A 44.4 QBR is terrible.  A 50ish completion percentage is exactly around where he was in college.  He lacks touch on the intermedia passes.   If I'm the Bills, I'm getting a QB in FA.  (Bridgewater). 

Can Allen improve with a better OL and another WR, perhaps.  But Allen flat-out missed wide-open WR's yesterday, and rifled passes incomplete that most QB's with a bit of touch make. 

1 hour ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Exactly that. He's taking responsibility for his failings in that regard and he'll be better for the experience in the long run. 

except he keeps repeating the same mistakes.  Still no touch on the ball, still heaving it into the middle of the field, which I'm sure he has been told NOT to do since HS.  Taking ownership is great, actually improving is better. 

5 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

The excuses for Allen, who has NEVER had a good completion percentage are getting classic.  "Dropped passes."  Guess who else has WR's that drop passes: Every QB in the NFL!   The O-line is terrible, but that does not make him heave the ball into the middle of the field for an easy INT instead of throwing it out of bounds.   It also does not make him have horrid ball placement on the final throw.  Contrast that to Darnold's ball placement to Anderson over one of the best CB's in the NFL (White).  A 44.4 QBR is terrible.  A 50ish completion percentage is exactly around where he was in college.  He lacks touch on the intermedia passes.   If I'm the Bills, I'm getting a QB in FA.  (Bridgewater). 

Can Allen improve with a better OL and another WR, perhaps.  But Allen flat-out missed wide-open WR's yesterday, and rifled passes incomplete that most QB's with a bit of touch make. 

Ladies and Gentlemen, Sam Darnold:

CMP  ATT    YDS   CMP% AVG  TD  LNG   INT   FUM   QBR

2018 Regular Season   175   313   2,104   55.9   6.72   12     76     15    4         33.9

Edited by thebandit27