Does Charles Clay really only make 4 million dollars next year?

1 hour ago, John from Riverside said:

Nate Geary said this on the after hours show.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/charles-clay-7893/

Cost 9 mill to keep him next season and 4.5 dead cap if they cut him before next season. So they save 4.5 mill on the cap if they cut him in off season or before season next year.

Contract was setup for 2019 to be a likely cut year or restructure year.

Edited by cba fan

2 hours ago, Steve Billieve said:

Don't disagree that he's likely to be cut, but 4.5 isn't that much for a TE that can "catch" and block.

Lets face facts . . . he's still our best TE . . . and our third best target.

Have you watched him play? I haven’t seen Clay make a single play that any of the other TE’s couldn’t make. 

I’m on the keep him around crowd. Not cause he’s been good or anything. I just see it this way, you keep him as starter/depth and sign/draft other options as well. And as those options step up their game they phase him out of the offense. It’s not like he practices that much so he’s not exactly gonna steal all the reps from a rookie and we have sooooo many holes to fill already why create another? 

He can still block at a decent level. 

And lastly his 4.5 million isn’t going to stop or hinder them from signing plenty of free agents 

1 hour ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

'ONLY'?!?!

?

You people have a strange command of the English language.

It’s relative. 

1 hour ago, Rc2catch said:

I’m on the keep him around crowd. Not cause he’s been good or anything. I just see it this way, you keep him as starter/depth and sign/draft other options as well. And as those options step up their game they phase him out of the offense. It’s not like he practices that much so he’s not exactly gonna steal all the reps from a rookie and we have sooooo many holes to fill already why create another? 

He can still block at a decent level. 

And lastly his 4.5 million isn’t going to stop or hinder them from signing plenty of free agents 

This is a fine argument save for the fact that he hurts the team with his drops. We should have won last week and yet another drop this week. After that drop, they never went back to him. 

Given that, I no longer believe it makes any sense to keep him.