It's just a few games, but defense is still king

Roundybout

10 hours ago, BillsVet said:

When the rules revert back to what they were in the 80s, yes, perhaps defense can be king.  But it's not going to happen.

I always love how one weekend's worth of games morphs into the definitive evidence that defense is back...yet nothing really changed  The league is built for, over the long haul of an entire season, offense to win out far more often than it loses.  

But who cares about the regular season.  Playoffs are a completely different game than the regular season.  It’s why Peyton went “one and done” an NFL record 9 times in Indy with those vaunted offenses he led.  

Undefeated and highest scoring offense in history (Pats) put up just 14 points and lost to a defensive team in SB.  Then the team that broke those records, (Broncos) got destroyed in SB by Legion of Boom 41-8.  That’s the two highest scoring offenses in NFL history led by two of the greatest QBs in history that combined for 22 points over 2 Super Bowl losses.

Come playoffs, defense matters a lot more. Always has and always will.  

2 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

But who cares about the regular season.  Playoffs are a completely different game than the regular season.  It’s why Peyton went “one and done” an NFL record 9 times in Indy with those vaunted offenses he led.  

Undefeated and highest scoring offense in history (Pats) put up just 14 points and lost to a defensive team in SB.  Then the team that broke those records, (Broncos) got destroyed in SB by Legion of Boom 41-8.  That’s the two highest scoring offenses in NFL history led by two of the greatest QBs in history that combined for 22 points over 2 Super Bowl losses.

Come playoffs, defense matters a lot more. Always has and always will.  

Everyone.

Also, losing in the Superbowl doesn't make you a failure, or "not matter."

Edited by BringBackOrton

10 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

Ivory and Murphy didnt exactly light it up today either......its the OL...its just plain bad

Its both IMO. Shady looks noticeably less agile. Not too say he sucks now, but he was always a guy who depended on his agility/speed and I do believe he is slowly losing it

11 hours ago, Bangarang said:

We have the 2nd ranked defense. We are 4-9. Defense is not still king.

eh to be fair, our team is 4-9 (this "offense" and paltry special teams included), not our defense. on the other hand, while they may be ranked 2nd, they certainly didn't play like it yesterday (ST woes aside).

Just now, Alphadawg7 said:

Object of the game, literally only object of the game, is to win the Super Bowl.

And 31 teams don't do it every year.  Does that mean everything they did doesn't matter?

Some of them have good offenses, ergo good offenses don't matter.  Some of them have good defenses, or good QB's or good EDGE players or good DB's, does that mean none of those things matter?

1 hour ago, T master said:

ST's & a Offense that can stay on the field helps immensely  !!

Saying that D doesn't win championships is like saying having a good running game doesn't mean anything in winning a championship !! The last 2 SB champs have had really good RB's to take the pressure off the QB but according to the experts good RB's are a dime a dozen & a run game isn't that important !! 

It takes all 3 phases of the team to win if your lacking in one place a good coach will find that weakness !! 

You aren't wrong - but our defense didn't do us any favors yesterday in coverage or in terms of pressure. Shaq had a great game blocking passes, but I'm curious if we just couldn't generate pressure or Darnold just got the ball out quickly. 

8 minutes ago, BringBackOrton said:

And 31 teams don't do it every year.  Does that mean everything they did doesn't matter?

Some of them have good offenses, ergo good offenses don't matter.  Some of them have good defenses, or good QB's or good EDGE players or good DB's, does that mean none of those things matter?

Then why doesn’t Brees have 5 SB rings?  Because his defense sucked with all those vaunted offenses, hell he barely has made the playoffs with those elite offenses.  

I could care less about making playoffs.  I want to win a title, and therefore build a team that has some balance is by far the best path.  Loading up on offense and fielding a crap D is a sure fire way to lose come playoff time.  Peyton Manning got both of his SB rings because of his defense.  The only year Colts had a D they won and then in 2015 Broncos D and run game carried him to a 2nd title. 

Making the playoffs is not a success.  I want a championship just like all 32 teams want.

Edited by Alphadawg7

3 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Then why doesn’t Brees have 5 SB rings?  Because his defense sucked with all those vaunted offenses, hell he barely has made the playoffs with those elite offenses.  

I could care less about making playoffs.  I want to win a title, and therefore build a team that has some balance is by far the best path.  Loading up on offense and fielding a crap D is a sure fire way to lose come playoff time.  Peyton Manning got both of his SB rings because of his defense.  The only year Colts had a D they won and then in 2015 Broncos D and run game carried him to a 2nd title. 

Making the playoffs is not a success.  I want a championship just like all 32 teams want.

Brees doesn't have 5 rings....so HoF QB's don't matter.

I suspect if you're incapable of seeing how silly the above is, this conversation will go nowhere.

5 minutes ago, BringBackOrton said:

Brees doesn't have 5 rings....so HoF QB's don't matter.

I suspect if you're incapable of seeing how silly the above is, this conversation will go nowhere.

Hahaha come on, how in the world did you create that statement off what I just said.  

The only thing silly here is your odd interpretation of what I just said.   

1 hour ago, T master said:

ST's & a Offense that can stay on the field helps immensely  !!

Saying that D doesn't win championships is like saying having a good running game doesn't mean anything in winning a championship !! The last 2 SB champs have had really good RB's to take the pressure off the QB but according to the experts good RB's are a dime a dozen & a run game isn't that important !! 

It takes all 3 phases of the team to win if your lacking in one place a good coach will find that weakness !! 

Both teams had RB committees, doesn’t really prove your point. Though I don’t like committees myself. Also the 136 points combined in the last two Super Bowls don’t help your argument