Offensive Line Struggles

wppete

On 12/10/2018 at 7:56 AM, MrEpsYtown said:

I know there isn't a ton of love for Bodine, but he's a natural center. There has been a huge drop off since he left the lineup. Ryan Groy is just so stiff. He doesn't work there. They are probably better off signing a street free agent like Dillon Day and just throwing him in there. Groy lacks the athletic ability and foot quickness to play the position. I think the pass protection has gotten noticeably worse since he has been in there and it was way worse in the beginning of the season until he lost his job to Bodine. 

Sign Sean Harlow off the Falcons practice squad, Jake Eldrenkamp off the Browns, JJ Dielman off the Rams, Anthony Fabiano off the Eagles. My point is that all of these guys are natural centers, who are better fits at the position than Ryan Groy. 

I agree and I think if Bodine comes back totally healthy, that position is covered, focus on guard and tackle improvement. 

One other big need for the online, NEW COACH. I truly believe that is the first position that needs to be changed, then we can build from there.

13 hours ago, wppete said:

Miller and Mills handing out hall passes to the Jets d-line.

1 hour ago, CSBill said:

I agree and I think if Bodine comes back totally healthy, that position is covered, focus on guard and tackle improvement. 

One other big need for the online, NEW COACH. I truly believe that is the first position that needs to be changed, then we can build from there.

Miller and Mills handing out hall passes to the Jets d-line.

I was actually excited when McDermott came in for a play. Why not see what we have? Same with Ike Boettger. Miller and Mills have proven that they are scrubs. 

I think there are 9 Centers on various teams PS + a slew of Guards and OT.

Beane & crew could try to sign the best of that group to the active roster and release (x).

Treat these last few weeks like an early draft by raiding other team's PS, especially for a Center.

Looks like if we want to upgrade our offensive line, we'll have to go big.  Seems to be top heavy.

We have to the money.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000946100/article/2019-nfl-free-agency-preview-fine-crop-of-dlinemen-safeties

It's still thin as hell on the OL

The best prospective left tackles -- Jake Matthews, Taylor Lewan and Duane Brown -- all signed contracts as camp began. The next-best tackle, second-team All-Pro Panthers RT Daryl Williams, suffered a serious knee injury to open camp. He's expected to head to injured reserve.

There simply aren't any tackles to spend big money on. The Rams have three starting linemen set for free agency and guard Shaq Mason is one of many key Patriots starters entering a contract year, but it's become increasingly rare for a plus starter on the offensive line to reach the market. As mentioned above, that's not the case among defensive linemen and edge rushers. The next-best free-agent group to D-line might be safety.