Offensive Line Struggles

wppete

4 hours ago, NewDayBills said:

I'm open to moving Dawkins to G and drafting a few Ts at this point. We're in a good position for Jonah Williams with that #1 pick, plug him in at LT.

I like Jonah, but I am not convinced doesn't project best as a guard at the NFL level too. I think his ceiling as a tackle is likely a little higher than Dawkins' but to me if he is going to be elite or near elite at NFL level it will be at guard. For a top flight LT his lack of length worries me a little as does his propensity to struggle with the outside speed rush. Basically I think Jonah Williams is a bit better version of Dion Dawkins and that isn't a franchise LT for me.

3 hours ago, ColoradoBills said:

I'm also not convinced that DD is incapable of playing RT because of a couple of early rookie games.

I am. It was the way he looked out there. Ugly and unnatural.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, NewEra said:

Dawkins IS sloppy.  He leads the team in penalties and has given up 6+ sacks.  Move him to guard, get 2 new tackles and a center and call it a day.

...BIG issue for entire team......#1 in NFL for offensive penalties and #2 overall only to KC for total penalty count.....road to nowhere.......

3 hours ago, NewDayBills said:

Bring Mills back on a 1yr deal. Draft a RT RDS 2-3.

hah...mills has to be the first to go...after juan....cause all he's good at is helping josh up off the ground.  i wouldn't be surprised if some kind of media appeared with leonard williams joking about mills not trying to block him...

btw, i am now all for drafting the best tackle in the 1st.

Edited by billsredneck1

6 minutes ago, HOUSE said:

We are in good shape, all we need is a new RG,RT, center. Special teams needs attention. Perhaps 3 Wrs

Oh forget it...

Along with a tight end and people mocked my mock draft when I outlined the teams needless our of the back field (Bruce Lovero replace McCoy and LJ Scott to replace Ivory) and along the offensive line..  Sam Mustipher, Dalton Rainer, and David Edwards; in the FA linemen don’t come cheaply or you get what you pay for.  

8 hours ago, wppete said:

On that plan Mills and Miller both do a decent job of keeping their guys wide and creating the lane. Teller really needs to drive his guy back though and Murphy needs to attack the line aggressively. If Teller wins his 1v1 then with Thomas and Thompson already engaged on the 2nd level guys that could easily be a 10 yard gain and a first down. That is another example of individual execution letting a play down.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

I like Jonah, but I am not convinced doesn't project best as a guard at the NFL level too. I think his ceiling as a tackle is likely a little higher than Dawkins' but to me if he is going to be elite or near elite at NFL level it will be at guard. For a top flight LT his lack of length worries me a little as does his propensity to struggle with the outside speed rush. Basically I think Jonah Williams is a bit better version of Dion Dawkins and that isn't a franchise LT for me.

He does indeed project as a G or RT, but I think he could help us at LT if we put him there. Certainly better than Dawkins. Will he be a 10x Pro Bowl player? No. 

LT. Jonah Williams

LG. Dion Dawkins

C. FA/Paradis/Morse

RG. Teller/rookie

RT. Rookie/rookie

id at least expect a unit that can get stuff done.

• Like (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

On that plan Mills and Miller both do a decent job of keeping their guys wide and creating the lane. Teller really needs to drive his guy back though and Murphy needs to attack the line aggressively. If Teller wins his 1v1 then with Thomas and Thompson already engaged on the 2nd level guys that could easily be a 10 yard gain and a first down. That is another example of individual execution letting a play down.

That's how I see it - Teller needs an offseason in the weight room working on his lower body and he still needs to refine his technique as well - that play is mostly well-blocked but Teller starts pinwheeling around instead of driving his man back and Murphy runs right instead of left...

• Like (+1) 1

I know there isn't a ton of love for Bodine, but he's a natural center. There has been a huge drop off since he left the lineup. Ryan Groy is just so stiff. He doesn't work there. They are probably better off signing a street free agent like Dillon Day and just throwing him in there. Groy lacks the athletic ability and foot quickness to play the position. I think the pass protection has gotten noticeably worse since he has been in there and it was way worse in the beginning of the season until he lost his job to Bodine. 

Sign Sean Harlow off the Falcons practice squad, Jake Eldrenkamp off the Browns, JJ Dielman off the Rams, Anthony Fabiano off the Eagles. My point is that all of these guys are natural centers, who are better fits at the position than Ryan Groy. 

Edited by MrEpsYtown

9 hours ago, DBilz2500 said:

They’re terrible and need at least 3 new starting caliber players next. An improved Line will make a huge difference next year for Allen and this offense. 

It didn't help that Bodine was out and then if I recall correctly they lost Mills.

12 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

I know there isn't a ton of love for Bodine, but he's a natural center. There has been a huge drop off since he left the lineup. Ryan Groy is just so stiff. He doesn't work there. They are probably better off signing a street free agent like Dillon Day and just throwing him in there. Groy lacks the athletic ability and foot quickness to play the position. I think the pass protection has gotten noticeably worse since he has been in there and it was way worse in the beginning of the season until he lost his job to Bodine. 

Sign Sean Harlow off the Falcons practice squad, Jake Eldrenkamp off the Browns, JJ Dielman off the Rams, Anthony Fabiano off the Eagles. My point is that all of these guys are natural centers, who are better fits at the position than Ryan Groy. 

Agreed about Bodine.  You could see immediate improvement in the line when he took over for Groy, and we can see the immediate degradation with Groy subbing in for him.

Groy "faked them out" by filling in capably for Wood a few seasons back, but he had better talent flanking him in 'Cog and a blocking scheme that suited him better.

From your mouth to the Bills FO ears....I doubt they listen as apparently Castillo is a stickler for using his technique and his technique only, which makes it hard to bring a guy in.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

I wouldn't have used that replay as evidence of the OL losing the one on one battles  Will have to wait for the EZ angle on All-22. but it appears that more of the blame is on Murphy than the line

50 minutes ago, GG said:

I wouldn't have used that replay as evidence of the OL losing the one on one battles  Will have to wait for the EZ angle on All-22. but it appears that more of the blame is on Murphy than the line

Oh there is certainly blame on Murphy. I said as much. But Teller loses his 1v1 as well which negatively affects the play.

12 hours ago, DC Tom said:

That play looks to be as much a scheme problem as a personnel problem.

If McD is half the coach we hope he is he will see where the problem lies like he did in letting his previous Offensive coordinator go after bad offensive production that actually took the team to the play offs !

He got rid of part of the problem being Rick Dennison now if he can take off the blinders & realize that Juan Castillo has a SB ring for no real apparent reason other than he was hired at a opportune time that season than he will be the guy we thought to be !!

Andy Reid saw it in Philly when he fired him now i just hope all that McD learned under Reid & his other coaches comes tot he top & he gets a different O line coach as well to complete the purge of less than elite coaching talent on offense !! 

7 hours ago, NewDayBills said:

He does indeed project as a G or RT, but I think he could help us at LT if we put him there. Certainly better than Dawkins. Will he be a 10x Pro Bowl player? No. 

LT. Jonah Williams

LG. Dion Dawkins

C. FA/Paradis/Morse

RG. Teller/rookie

RT. Rookie/rookie

id at least expect a unit that can get stuff done.

Greg Little is coming out,he announced not long ago.Projected to go mid first.

16 hours ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Pathetic today.  Even Dawkins was sloppy.  Going to have to pay some major attention to this position group in the offseason.

Have you noticed him lean inside the last two weeks...it appears he's trying to help Teller out on running.plays....he just clogging up that hole.Teller has really struggled the last 8 qtrs.

• Like (+1) 2