Josh Allen Tries To Take On The World As One-Man Offense, Reminds Us He Needs Help

6 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Can’t disagree more. He needs to progress as a QB and you can’t do that playing a reckless form of hero ball. He’s gotta play as much as he can within the constructs of the schemes Daboll draws up. Doesn’t mean he can’t make heroic plays,  but he needs to be disciplined.

What's he supposed to do? His surrounding cast is REALLY bad.  If he acts like that when he is surrounded with talent, THEN critique him. Apart from a few runs, he starts going because he has to, or the defense is giving him 1st down yards. The few times he had time to throw he usually was pretty damn good. RBs had no lanes either. Not a coincidence when our OLine is by far the least paid in the league. 

I don't get the media and their love for Lamar Jackson. The dude ran 27 times. As a QB! While we know his WR corp is quite improved and Flacco was having success. Not the same as the Bills here and what Josh has to play with. But few will mention Allen running for 100 yards 3 games in a row. Or, as some of you Bills fans, say he is trying to do too much, gets out too quickly, etc. While Jackson is a new breed and Flacco's days are numbered. SMH. Josh HAS to play hero ball. Hopefully, he doesn't have to by next year. And it's good he's getting all this out of a system now.

• Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Jerome007 said:

What's he supposed to do? His surrounding cast is REALLY bad.  If he acts like that when he is surrounded with talent, THEN critique him. Apart from a few runs, he starts going because he has to, or the defense is giving him 1st down yards. The few times he had time to throw he usually was pretty damn good. RBs had no lanes either. Not a coincidence when our OLine is by far the least paid in the league. 

I don't get the media and their love for Lamar Jackson. The dude ran 27 times. As a QB! While we know his WR corp is quite improved and Flacco was having success. Not the same as the Bills here and what Josh has to play with. But few will mention Allen running for 100 yards 3 games in a row. Or, as some of you Bills fans, say he is trying to do too much, gets out too quickly, etc. While Jackson is a new breed and Flacco's days are numbered. SMH. Josh HAS to play hero ball. Hopefully, he doesn't have to by next year. And it's good he's getting all this out of a system now.

I’m not saying he shouldn’t continue to try to make plays when they’re there.

I’m saying that playing hero ball won’t help him. By hero ball I mean plays like his first half INT today when he forced an ill advised pass, much like the play he made vs. Houston earlier in the season. Most of his decisions to pull it down and run have been good ones and he should keep doing that. I have no problem with that. Just be smarter and know your limitations better. 

He’s our best offensive player, and I think Daboll realizes that. 

4 minutes ago, K-9 said:

I’m not saying he shouldn’t continue to try to make plays when they’re there.

I’m saying that playing hero ball won’t help him. By hero ball I mean plays like his first half INT today when he forced an ill advised pass, much like the play he made vs. Houston earlier in the season. Most of his decisions to pull it down and run have been good ones and he should keep doing that. I have no problem with that. Just be smarter and know your limitations better. 

He’s our best offensive player, and I think Daboll realizes that. 

I thought the hero ball caught up with him a bit this week......its gonna happen when you have no help.

3 interceptions for Mayfield last week?   The rookies are gonna do this

1 hour ago, billsfan11 said:

He needs to learn to throw from the pocket though. That’s the only way to consistently beat NFL defences.

Throw first, and use your legs as a extra weapon 

Looks to me like he's doing that for the most part.

Our OL is just absolutely atrocious.

Also, you can't really fault him for running on some of those plays where the field just opened up in front of him where he can gain 20+yards pretty easily.

1 hour ago, RalphWilson'sNewWar said:

Yeah...this is the same narrative he had in Wyoming.

Having to hero ball it up all alone while possessing 

Atheltic Big Body with incredible arm and amazing running ability but concerns with decision making, Accuracy and clutchness 

now he needs to evolve from this.

Get him some legit weapons this offseason and I think he will.

But people should also get kinda used to Allen being a bit of a gunslinger.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, RalphWilson'sNewWar said:

Yeah...this is the same narrative he had in Wyoming.

Having to hero ball it up all alone while possessing 

Atheltic Big Body with incredible arm and amazing running ability but concerns with decision making, Accuracy and clutchness 

now he needs to evolve from this.

I actually think he already looks better then he did at WYoming in pretty much all aspects......

Also factor that the level of competition he now faces is MUCH better......he now plays players that came from top schools and were the best players at their positions when they were drafted

Despite all that...he flashes the talent and is also setting new NFL records in the running department.

He is already better.....and that is with the crap he has playing around him

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, dayman said:

It's not a great sign for our offense but certainly not a knock on him. Run it! It was so frustrating to watch the allegedly great mobile QB Tyrod never run. If you can run it's usually a big part of why you are a good QB. Let this kid run. Hope he runs next year too. 

What's stunning about Allen over TT is that his instincts as to when to dart out is much better than Tyrod.

57 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

I thought the hero ball caught up with him a bit this week......its gonna happen when you have no help.

3 interceptions for Mayfield last week?   The rookies are gonna do this

Like you said, it’s gonna happen. And I don’t fault him at all for that. I just happen to think that playing within the structure of the schemes as much as possible will do the most to further his development as a QB. I’m not at all against him improvising like he has been but that’s not where I’m coming from with this particular aspect of the argument. It’s just when I hear the term “hero ball” it conjures up a sandlot type mentality and that’s just not sustainable. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, K-9 said:

Like you said, it’s gonna happen. And I don’t fault him at all for that. I just happen to think that playing within the structure of the schemes as much as possible will do the most to further his development as a QB. I’m not at all against him improvising like he has been but that’s not where I’m coming from with this particular aspect of the argument. It’s just when I hear the term “hero ball” it conjures up a sandlot type mentality and that’s just not sustainable. 

I agree with this

2 hours ago, billsfan11 said:

He needs to learn to throw from the pocket though. That’s the only way to consistently beat NFL defences.

Throw first, and use your legs as a extra weapon 

With what pocket? Allen is THE MOST pressured QB in the league and its not very close, the part that makes it worse, is like 90% of the pressure Allen faces is from directly over C or G's... if your middle of your line is collapsing on a three step drop, WHAT POCKET

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

It’s not going to be a popular opinion but I think what we really need is a stud all purpose back. I’m not saying you have to take one early in the draft but I think Shady is clearly about done. What Shady has been for the last few years is the thing Allen needs the most. Our WRs might be better then people think. We just can’t run. A few big time lineman and an everydown difference maker at RB and our offense could be good. 

Shady is playing at the heaviest weight he's ever been by the looks of it but he looks slow for sure but is it age creeping up dunno but I do believe he has another year or 2 left in him.  We need Bell but he will be expensive or find one in the draft n much cheaper so we can spend on oline.

5 hours ago, Phil The Thrill said:

Fantastic stuff from Timothy G. Graham

on Josh Allen:

“Maybe Allen is trying to do too much because Buffalo’s offense has little else. His rushing and passing yardage accounted for 83 percent of Buffalo’s total offense. Last week at Miami, he represented 88 percent. A week before that against Jacksonville, 79 percent.”

https://theathletic.com/704038/2018/12/09/josh-allen-tries-to-take-on-the-world-as-one-man-offense-reminds-us-he-needs-help/

So 90% then :thumbsup:

• Why to stay in broken pocket and wait for a sack when he can run for 1st down? Almost each of his running attempts were succesful. QB running for 3 straight 100 yards games is funny to watch. Of course it would be nice to add passing game. But Allen's runs are not the top problem to solve. 

7 hours ago, PolishPrince said:

With what pocket? Allen is THE MOST pressured QB in the league and its not very close, the part that makes it worse, is like 90% of the pressure Allen faces is from directly over C or G's... if your middle of your line is collapsing on a three step drop, WHAT POCKET

If you read my other post in this thread you will see that I said It’s not his fault as he’s constantly under pressure. Take a deeep breath now lol

9 hours ago, SCBills said:

In Allen’s defense, it’s tough to throw from the pocket regularly when the OL craps themselves the second the ball is snapped and there’s a 50/50 shot the Receiver catches a pass that hits them in the hands.  

At times in the stadium yesterday I had a nice birds eye view where I could hone in on the O line. Man, they are really really bad. There was guys completely missing blocks, poor technique, and not holding up at the point of contact. Many times, within 2 seconds Allen was surrounded with no clear pocket at all. No QB can survive under these conditions. Furthermore, no way can a rook properly develop this way. Man, it was a sad reality yesterday for the state of affairs with this team. The entire offense needs an overhaul.

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Agent 91 said:

It seems like he is a bit of a flopper though. Someone of his size seems to get launched a lot.

He plays with a Brady like gamesmanship for sure. Definitely with the referee b****ing

Edited by PetermanThrew5Picks
  • Haha (+1) 1