NFL OT rules are an effing, effing joke

dave mcbride

54 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Stop the other team or hold them to a FG.  

LOL. Tell me this: why is that every team defers in regular time, but — with the current OT rules — previsely zero teams have deferred in OT?

20 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

I still like the college rules but think the starting point should simply be moved back for the NFL so you have to actually earn the field goal. 

The colege rules are fine but the the nfl should improve upon those rules and not count ot stats toward regular stats. It’s a very easy fix. Just set up an OT stats category.

Edited by dave mcbride
  • Like (+1) 1

Just now, dave mcbride said:

Tell me this: why is that every team defers in regular time, but — wih the current OT rules — previsely zero teams have deferred in OT?

Of course teams will take the ball in an attempt to score a TD.  Defenses still have an opportunity to extend the game by holding the opponent to a FG or forcing a punt. Much ado about nothing IMO. 

• Like (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, KD in CA said:

Ties would be fine or playing a full extra ten minutes would be fine.  Or it would be fine if people stopped crying and played defense.

The big problem is that defenses are more exhausted in OT than offenses are because they have to react. 

3 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Of course teams will take the ball in an attempt to score a TD.  Defenses still have an opportunity to extend the game by holding the opponent to a FG or forcing a punt. Much ado about nothing IMO. 

Why does every team take one position and not the other in an ostensibly 50-50 situation? Please answer me that. Don’t obfuscate either. Elaborate on your answer. No quips.

Edited by dave mcbride
  • Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

The big problem is that defenses are more exhausted in OT than offenses are because thwy have to react. 

Why does every team take one position and not the other in an ostensibly 50-50 situation? Please answer me that. Din’t obfuscate either. Elaborate on your answer. No quips.

I already answered that they do because they want to score a TD to win the game.  Doesn't preclude a defensive stop.  Play on!

35 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

Because their defense couldn't shut them down.  I'm a fan of the current system.  Hate the gimmicky college OT.

Defenses are ALWAYS at a disadvantage at the end of a brutal game because they are necessarily reactive on a play by play basis. Just think of Atlanta’s D in the SB in 2017, when the Pats reacted with delighted glee after they “won” the coin flip. They were right to teact that way.

Edited by dave mcbride
  • Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

I already answered that they do because they want to score a TD to win the game.  Doesn't preclude a defensive stop.  Play on!

E-l-a-b-o-r-a-t-e. As in, tell me why *zero* teams have ever deferred in OT under the current rules (outside of Matthew Slater, who said in that Jets game that the referee completely misinterpreted what he asked for). Again, quips are weak and ain’t good enough. Lay out a real argument with evidence.

• Like (+1) 1

E-l-a-b-o-r-a-t-e. As in, tell me why *zero* teams have ever deferred in OT under the current rules (outside of Matthew Slater, who said in that Jets game that the referee completely misinterpreted what he asked for). Again, quips are weak and ain’t good enough. Lay out a real argument with evidence.

How many times do I need to explain? TD wins the game and you play to win.  It's not that complicated. :lol:

1 hour ago, dave mcbride said:

Coin flip winners (ie, the luckier folks) have a distintive advantage, and it ain’t even remotely arguable. It is straight-up BS.

Not in the slightest, since it began the team winning the coin toss has less than a 1 percent better chance of winning

14 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

Defenses are ALWAYS at a disadvantage at the end of a brutal game because they are necessarily reactive on a play by play basis. Just think of Atlanta’s D in the SB in 2017, when the Pats reacted with delighted glee after they “won” the coin flip. They were right to teact that way.

It's still better than the old sudden death system that relies even more on the coin flip and the college gimmicky system that can go a ridiculously high amount of rounds along with inflating scores and stats.  A tie isn't the end of the world.

Edited by Doc Brown

1 hour ago, dave mcbride said:

LOL. Tell me this: why is that every team defers in regular time, but — with the current OT rules — previsely zero teams have deferred in OT?

The colege rules are fine but the the nfl should improve upon those rules and not count ot stats toward regular stats. It’s a very easy fix. Just set up an OT stats category.

I agree with you that the defense is at a distinct disadvantage in OT. But why would a team ever defer if they won the coin toss for OT? There is only one OT period guaranteed, so you would never get to use that deferral unless it went to the third OT in the playoffs.

1 hour ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

How many times do I need to explain? TD wins the game and you play to win.  It's not that complicated. :lol:

Elaborate. No quips, which is all you are offering. In other major team sports — baseball, soccer, basketball, and hockey — no side is given an advantage remotely comparable to what the NFL offers the coin flip winners in OT (including extra innings), in the sense that one side may well have zero chance to handle the ball (and factoring in exhausted defenses). And again: catalog for me every team that has chosen to defer in OT (seriously, do it - you are a very knowledgeable fan) outside of the infamous Slater episode.

Again, though, “LOL” quips are weak as arguments and simply don’t cut it.

1 minute ago, greenyellowred said:

I agree with you that the defense is at a distinct disadvantage in OT. But why would a team ever defer if they won the coin toss for OT? There is only one OT period guaranteed, so you would never get to use that deferral unless it went to the third OT in the playoffs.

That’s sort of my point. No team ever defers, and for good reason.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Doc Brown said:

It's still better than the old sudden death system that relies even more on the coin flip and the college gimmicky system that can go a ridiculously high amount of rounds along with inflating scores and stats.  A tie isn't the end of the world.

See my point above about not including NFL OT stats in regular stats. It is a simple fix. Playoff stats don’t count as “real” stats, and if they did Brady would have another 8000 yards or so.

Elaborate. No quips, which is all you are offering. In other major team sports — baseball, soccer, basketball, and hockey — no side is given an advantage remotely comparable to what the NFL offers the coin flip winners in OT (including extra innings), in the sense that one side may well have zero chance to handle the ball (and factoring in exhausted defenses). And again: catalog for me every team that has chosen to defer in OT (seriously, do it - you are a very knowledgeable fan) outside of the infamous Slater episode.

Again, though, “LOL” quips are weak as arguments and simply don’t cut it.

Quips? You want some long drawn out explanation when it requires none of that. If a team wins possession via the coin flip they take the ball every single time with the chance to score a TD to win the game. No furher analysis is required. 

Just now, Boca BIlls said:

Dont let them score a TD...

Defenses are exhausted in ot. Offenses have the advantage. Name me a team that has deferred in the last few years (outside of the slater episode). If 100 percent choose to take the ball and indeed celebrate “winning” the coin flip, that is telling you something.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, No Place To Hyde said:

They did. They couldn't get possession of the ball. Football is still a team game. This is why a defense still matters.

Did the refs help keeping possession?

The game is rigged to begin with.  Horrible, crooked officiating all day.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois