NFL OT rules are an effing, effing joke

dave mcbride

1 minute ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Quips? You want some long drawn out explanation when it requires none of that. If a team wins possession via the coin flip they take the ball every single time with the chance to score a TD to win the game. No furher analysis is required. 

I know the rules. The rules are the problem. Address my point about no other major sport having such a system in which the offense is so heavily favored based on luck.  And I mean really. You are not arguing; you are merely asserting. That is just not good enough. And again, remind me of how 100 percent of teams react to coin flips.

Just now, dave mcbride said:

I know the rules. The rules are the problem. Address my point about no other major sport having such a system in which the offense is so heavily favored based on luck.  And I mean really. You are not arguing; you are merely asserting. That is just not good enough. And again, remind me of how 100 percent of teams react to coin flips.

The rules are fine. 

2 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

Defenses are exhausted in ot. Offenses have the advantage. Name me a team that has deferred in the last few years (outside of the slater episode). If 100 percent choose to take the ball and indeed celebrate “winning” the coin flip, that is telling you something.

Stop them it is your job.

2 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

The rules are fine. 

Nice argument. You are one of my favorite posters, but i can’t help but think if you work for the league. Quips don’t cut it (again). Why are the rules fine and why are the my fair? Explain in at least moderate detail why.

1 minute ago, Boca BIlls said:

Stop them it is your job.

Not an argument. Why does no team defer in OT?

Edited by dave mcbride

1 minute ago, dave mcbride said:

Nice argument. You are one of my favorite posters, but i can’t help but think if you work for the league. Quips don’t cut it (again). Why are the rules fine and why are the my fair? Explain in at least moderate detail why.

Play defense and stop the offense. You call it a quip and don't like the rule. Can't help you there because I have zero heartburn with the OT rules as they are. I work for the league if I don't agree with you? That's pretty weak. 

1 minute ago, dave mcbride said:

Nice argument. You are one of my favorite posters, but i can’t help but think if you work for the league. Quips don’t cut it (again).

Years ago, opening flip, it was unwise to defer.  Now with new defer rules, it made the ever so important 3rd quarter kick-off more easily attainable.

I agree with you.  What they should do then is go back to original opening kick off rules.  Teams won't defer.  It would even out.  Even though I like deferring.

So many new rules, etc... Give game no continuity.  Why it's a joke.

2 hours ago, KD in CA said:

Ties would be fine or playing a full extra ten minutes would be fine.  Or it would be fine if people stopped crying and played defense.

2 hours ago, Boatdrinks said:

Or if they adjusted the rules back to some sense of fairness for the defenses. It’s really pathetic to see sometimes. Ruining a game that was once the greatest. 

Tell that to the rules committee.

I've always been in the stop crying and play defense camp. I'd still prefer a 15 minute sudden death OT.

But that's a great point about how the league has changed Boatdrinks. Wish my memory was better, I have a vague recollection of a team deferring possession in OT because they had confidence their defense would put their offense in a better position to win than a kickoff return would.

Just now, 26CornerBlitz said:

Baseball has no time limit.  How about we keep the subject germane to the sport of football.  Don't compare apples to alligators. 

Just saying they give both teams an at-bat. Why not football? It's not quantum physics keeping track.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Just saying they give both teams an at-bat. Why not football? It's not quantum physics keeping track.

Play defense and they get another at bat.  The other team can even score points and you still get another chance. Too much crying in fandom. 

Rules are fine IMO. Sure it’s an advantage to get the ball first, but it’s not that much of an advantage.

If you have a good defence deferring could actually play to your favour. Stop them

and then go down and kick a game winning field goal with most likely a shorter field. 

If they are tied through 60 minutes then why give a team an advantage by winning a coin flip?  Just call it a tie or do something like hockey where you increase the chances of scoring by reducing the numbers of players on the field.  7-7 sounds right.  But to avoid the coin flip winner getting an edge, allow the defense 8 players and the offense 7.  First score wins.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

Best of luck. :lol:

Would it be fair if they flipped a coin before the hockey shootout and then the first goal wins?  

Would you say if you don't like it then stop them from scoring?

The alternating possessions of college OT is far more evenly matched and fair imo.  Battling to a tie after 60 minutes and then handing an advantage to one team on the basis of a coin flip is just ridiculous.

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Play defense and they get another at bat.  The other team can even score points and you still get another chance. Too much crying in fandom. 

Again, why give both teams an at-bat in baseball if this is the logic?