Bills defense is overrated.

tuckan

They are still a good defense.  But probably not as good as they appeared earlier in the season.

With the offense finally putting up points, teams aren't playing as conservative against our defense.  They are opening things up and attacking a little bit more.  And we are getting exposed in several different areas.

-  Our linebackers (Milano and Edmunds) are often caught in the wrong gaps or getting swallowed up in the run game.  I known many people think we need to move Edmunds to the outside, but don't forget that he's only 20-years-old and has a very large frame.  Don't be surprised if the coaches get him to put some weight on in the offseason, to help with shedding blocks.  And hopefully the instincts improve with time. 

-  The pass rush is inconsistent.  I find this to be the case with 95% of teams around the league.  They get lots of pressure one week, but can't the next week.  Since Leslie Frasier is not the type of guy who likes dialing up blitzes, that means we probably need some more help on the D-Line.  Shaq Lawson, Trent Murphy, Harrison Phillips and Jordan Phillips are all good players and valuable to our rotation.  But none are great at getting QB pressure.  Kyle Williams was that guy for a long time, but he's not consistent anymore.  If we get a Top 3-5 pick, don't be surprised if we go DT.

-  Behind Tre'Davious White, our play at cornerback has ranged from mediocre to awful.  I like Taron Johnson in the slot, but we need another starting outside CB and some better depth.  We've tried multiple guys here, but nobody has been impressive.

11 hours ago, tuckan said:

We have a post count?  

Daring to criticize the current Bills -- unless it's one of the "designated scapegoat" players or coaches -- makes you either a newbie or a troll around here as far as the numerous "true believers" are concerned.   After you've created a few more posts, you'll graduate to being a "troll" if you continue to look at the team without Bills-colored glasses.

• Thank you (+1) 1

9 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Bill's defense gave up 14

ST gave up 13

Our ST have wet themselves all year. Including today they've cost us 4 games.

When most of your starters aren't NFL caliber starters, chances are most of your ST team players shouldn't even be on an NFL roster.  Talent counts.

The defense is mediocre in sacks, interceptions, and third down percentage. They are downright awful in red zone defense. They are otherwise top 10 in all other meaningful metrics.

McDermott and Beane have made good progress with the defense from year 1 to year 2. But more work clearly needs to be done this offseason:

1. Find a capable #2 CB opposite White.

2. Find an annual double-digit sack DE opposite Hughes.

3. Find a replacement for Kyle Williams.

4. Find a replacement for Lorenzo Alexander.

So that's 4 starters needed. This draft is absolutely loaded with talent at DE and DT, and these guys have shown that they know how to draft CB's and LB's. There is also free agency to find replacements. 

The difficulty is in trying to find 4 starters on defense while simultaneously overhauling the offense. It can be done with $90 million in cap space and 10 draft picks. But it won't be easy.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Edmunds problem is not nearly as much shedding blocks as it is instincts and finding the ball.

Every game this is an issue. Why is him turning 21 going to change this? Because he will be able to legally drink? 

The biggest reason young players improve in Years 1, 2, etc. is experience.  Virtually every NFL player (even the ones who play GREAT as rookies) talks about how difficult it is to process the difference from college to the pros.  It takes time for the game to slow-down. 

This is not a difficult concept. 

Out of all the things that confuse/baffle me about this message board... This may be the most puzzling.  I just can't understand how football fans who watch this sport ALL THE TIME, are determined to judge young players as busts as ROOKIES.  People were saying the same thing last year about Zay Jones.  They are saying the same thing about Josh Allen this year. 

Seriously.  Do people just sit on their couches at home, and after 13 games say "Well, I guess that Edmunds guy is never going to get it." 

Honestly, it's ridiculous.

11 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Your missing the point.

You can't teach instincts. You either have it or you don't. BADOL used the example of Preston Brown as a rookie if I recall correctly. The guy came in and showed the insticts the position requires instantly. 

The only argument against this thought for Edmunds seems to be "well, remember he's 20".  

Yes you can! One is not simply born to play 4-3 MLB at the pro level. What you perceive as "instincts" come from hard work and experience. Preston Brown is cited here as an example. That's an interesting one because Preston's father was a career football coach, so Preston had a different level of tutelage and LB experience than Tremaine had upon entering the NFL.

52 minutes ago, MichaelAbdallah said:

The defense is mediocre in sacks, interceptions, and third down percentage. They are downright awful in red zone defense. They are otherwise top 10 in all other meaningful metrics.

McDermott and Beane have made good progress with the defense from year 1 to year 2. But more work clearly needs to be done this offseason:

1. Find a capable #2 CB opposite White.

2. Find an annual double-digit sack DE opposite Hughes.

3. Find a replacement for Kyle Williams.

4. Find a replacement for Lorenzo Alexander.

So that's 4 starters needed. This draft is absolutely loaded with talent at DE and DT, and these guys have shown that they know how to draft CB's and LB's. There is also free agency to find replacements. 

The difficulty is in trying to find 4 starters on defense while simultaneously overhauling the offense. It can be done with $90 million in cap space and 10 draft picks. But it won't be easy.

I definitely think a reciever, tight end, center, and right tackle come in free agency. I think the draft should, and will be mostly defensive players. 

13 minutes ago, HeHateMe said:

What pass rush

Kyle had a chance on the big touchdown through to Anderson and for some reason dove at Darnold's legs. If he just kept running, we would be talking about a Bills win today. 

Edited by MrEpsYtown

35 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Your missing the point.

You can't teach instincts. You either have it or you don't. BADOL used the example of Preston Brown as a rookie if I recall correctly. The guy came in and showed the insticts the position requires instantly. 

The only argument against this thought for Edmunds seems to be "well, remember he's 20".  

Why can't you teach instincts? 

It's basically just reading a play, recognizing what is happening quickly and then reacting. 

There is absolutely no reason that with on-field experience, film study and proper coaching, that Tremaine Edmunds cannot improve in this area. 

It's like the people that say ACCURACY cannot be taught.  Well, except that accuracy usually comes down to mechanics and footwork - and there are literally hundreds of experts employed by college and NFL teams to help QBs improve in these areas.  And there are literally hundreds of NFL quarterbacks (including veterans) who say they have been able to improve their accuracy over the years.

7 hours ago, ganesh said:

They were definitely manhandled by the Jets OL.  Darnold was never under duress (except for that one play which he miraculously completed for a TD)...

Maybe true, but you've got to also realize that when they do bring pressure, it's usually with the other team in it's own end. With their drive starts they were playing a lot of base cover 2 to attempt to prevent a score. Coaching staff is too conservative once the opposing team is across the 50. Darnold also supposedly struggles against zone so it was just a part of the game plan.

5 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

Yet another cheesy noob thread..?

They aren’t overrated because no one here says they are. Their Rating is done by the League, based solely on yards against rush & pass. But you’d have to actually follow the NFL to know this.

Those are stats and stats don’t mean quite as much as actual wins, speaking of following the NFL. 

14 hours ago, gordong said:

they sure are overrated....  

I would take the Bills D over a lot of others in the league like another poster said "they aren't elite" But they ain't bad & if they were given a bit better starting field position they would probably be a bit better too !! 

I think this draft will help on both sides of the ball given what Mcbean & company find in UDFA's Rome wasn't built in a day !! 

2 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

The Bills were second lowest in yards allowed yesterday. Second only to the Bears. 

The Bears played the Rams and we played the Jets. Stats are for Baseball. Wins and losses are the actual yardstick teams are measured by.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, MichaelAbdallah said:

Yes you can! One is not simply born to play 4-3 MLB at the pro level. What you perceive as "instincts" come from hard work and experience. Preston Brown is cited here as an example. That's an interesting one because Preston's father was a career football coach, so Preston had a different level of tutelage and LB experience than Tremaine had upon entering the NFL.

Instinct = innate = inborn/natural...........so instinct by definition you can't teach.

I agree with you that learned behavior is often confused with instinct..........but there is more to it than study and reps.........whether it be an ability,  even subconsciously,  to read more information/cues in a shorter amount of time or whatever it may be some athletes are more instinctive than others.

We see it all the time at the MLB position.........guys come in and play near their peak potential almost immediately..........whether that be a limited grinder like Preston Brown or a guy who seems to otherwise be something of an idiot like Kiko or a physical specimen like Urlacher who moved from college safety to rookie MLB in the NFL and put up one of his best seasons as a rookie.

There is reason for concern wrt Edmunds becoming the superstar MLB that his draft status warrants...........but I do think he has enough potential to be worth it somewhere else if it doesn't work out at MLB.

1 hour ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Kyle had a chance on the big touchdown through to Anderson and for some reason dove at Darnold's legs. If he just kept running, we would be talking about a Bills win today. 

This play really stood out to me as critical as well...........I get that Darnold is elusive but there was no reason to dive there......contain him and let help come........there was no way he was bringing Darnold down by the shoestring at that point on the field.

15 hours ago, BillsEnthusiast said:

Getting started at midfield 4 times didn't help. 

15 hours ago, Luka said:

Average drive position for the Jets was the 48 yard line. That's a tall order for any defense. Last week they lost the Phins game but this week I don't think they were terrible. Terrible special teams and a sputtering offense were more to blame.

This is true.  I mean a top Defense can't be expected to stop the 30th ranked offense when they start from midfield....

• Haha (+1) 1