Phone advice...three way battle royale

Galaxy Note 9 v. iPhone XS v. Pixel 3.

Who ya got? I'm like hamlet on this topic. Can't decide worth a darn.

Primary usage: YouTube, Picture Taking, Texting, web browsing. Occasional Netflix/Hulu and nav usage.

Edited by Joe in Winslow

I'm of no help, I am still using a Galaxy S4...

That is actually not true. I wish I was still using my Samsung 4 for every day use, man that phone was great. I am still using it to make Facebook think I am roaming the United States. I have the S9 and I've hated this thing from the second I bought it - I didn't want to change, the S4 was just no longer being supported for updates. ?

My inner Luddite comes out when it comes to phones.  {insert grumpy old face}

Edited by Buffalo_Gal
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Still on Galaxy S6... That's all I use for every thing.

Rest of family are iSheeple.  Got my daughter an iPhone Xs.  Frankly... My 3 year old Galaxy is better.

Wireless charging... Got it, 3 years ago.  All that stuff on iPhone can be customized with a different launcher.  I use Nova Launcher.  

But... Give the iSheeple what they want.  Keeps peace in the family.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

Doesn't Samsung make Apple parts?

So they are all giving everybody a reach around.

Go Hawaii... But they just arrested it's CEO.

And yes... I know it's Huawei.  Before my Son shifted to iPhone in 2012... He had a Hawaii.  It is still ticking from 2010.  Runs Gingerbread and works on WiFi.  I don't dare to update anything or risk bricking it.  I will root it (and risk bricking it?  LoL) and use it as a camera to view my garage door opener.  I installed a Bluetooth garage door opener hack 6 years ago.  All I need is an old SmartPhone with camera to view door while VPN (like PocketCloud app) over home network.  Never got around to adding that final piece to my custom Bluetooth system. Try that with an iPhone! ?

1 hour ago, Joe in Winslow said:

Primary usage: YouTube, Picture Taking, Texting, web browsing. Occasional Netflix/Hulu and nav usage.

Moto G5+ 32GB Unlocked $199 @ Best Buy. Only knock from me is the camera is sh###y (Also it's a Chinese Lenovo product so they are probably spying on you.)

Edited by PromoTheRobot

16 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Moto G5+ 32GB Unlocked $199 @ Best Buy. Only knock from me is the camera is sh###y (Also it's a Chinese Lenovo product so they are probably spying on you.)

They are definitely spying on you

9 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Isn't Lenovo an IBM product????

Lenovo is formerly IBM's Personal Computer division.  It is now a private Chinese company in name, but is effectively a Chinese run a state run enterprise

IIRC you work for the Army Corps of Engineers.  As an employee of the DoD, I am disappointed that you were not already aware of Lenovo's dubious background

https://www.fedmanager.com/index.php?id=2608:dod-issues-cybersecurity-warning-against-lenovo-computers-handheld-devices

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, /dev/null said:

They are definitely spying on you

Lenovo is formerly IBM's Personal Computer division.  It is now a private Chinese company in name, but is effectively a Chinese run a state run enterprise

IIRC you work for the Army Corps of Engineers.  As an employee of the DoD, I am disappointed that you were not already aware of Lenovo's dubious background

https://www.fedmanager.com/index.php?id=2608:dod-issues-cybersecurity-warning-against-lenovo-computers-handheld-devices

I am disappointed too.  So much BS training, cyber awareness... I never heard this.  But, I am up to date on my EEO, sexual harassment training... LoL

I am wage grade... Hourly labor, maybe I didn't get memo.  

But thanks for heads up.  My brother inlaw in MA worked for IBM, only way I knew it was part of IBM (at one time).  I figured they may have sold the name.

6 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

I did, but the bad news is it only runs on t-mobile, which is a no-go for me. Otherwise looks like a nice phone.

Works on AT&T and the latest release also works on VZ's LTE network only

1 hour ago, Joe in Winslow said:

Hm. I'll have to do more investigating. Like their notchless design.

Why is the "notch" so important.  Is that what's become?  Cosmetics?

I agree with you... Getting stupid.  I was in Apple Store (please don't ask)...I felt my IQ dropping precipitously... And I don't have much to spare!  They herded Us into the queuing area where an Apple Genius was all head mic'd up giving a high-level Ted Talk.  He was talking about using gestures to swipe down @ "notch" and how to use the soft key Home Button to drooling 70 year olds hanging on his every word.  One Asian guy was taking notes. /smh... Just get me the hell out of that "pit of despair!"  Really???  62 minutes later another Apple Genius was unbricking our old 6s after a faulty iOS update (Don't ask, I wanted to do it at home via iTunes, but got vetoed).

Back to cosemetics... Screen aestheics.  Really!

"...Excess ain't rebellion.
You're drinking what they're selling.
Your self-destruction doesn't hurt them.
Your chaos won't convert them..."

There should be an iPhone stanza thrown in there... But the song is from 1994, I can't fault Cake for not going total Nostradamus.

20 hours ago, Joe in Winslow said:

Wait for Galaxy s10 if you can.  Get it online from Samsung. They'll offer something sweet this time as the note9 and so have blown. The last good one, like most phones it goes every other year.  They'll have a foldable s10 out too, later in the year.  But you'll get an option for free *****. They had a 36" flat screen with early pre order for the side at one point

But go for the unlocked s10+ and it's the same as the note anyway, save for the pen and slightly different interfacing. 

Edited by Boyst62