A Few Thoughts About the Jets Game, in no particular order

Virgil

13 minutes ago, Kemp said:

We have no choice but to wait and find out who is right.

I am rooting for you, because if I am right, forget about the next 3-5 seasons.

I don't see how either of you could be "right" at this point - it's just too early to tell, you really can't evaluate most rookie QBs until defenses start making adjustments against them and until they've had a full NFL offseason - yesterday the Jets took away the play action and the result was a mixed bag, not great but not nearly as bad as it could've been.  I loved Allen's short game yesterday, he's hitting the 12 yard curls with precision and there was a sprint out pass they called, where he ran to his left and fired a bullet at the sticks, that blew me away.  He is still adding elements to his game.

But we just don't yet know what we have, and we really won't have a good sense of it until October of 2019.

Edited by Coach Tuesday
  • Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, Fixxxer said:

I would run comeback routes with Foster everytime I need a first down. DBs will always respect his speed and with Allen's arm strenght, it's a play that it can't be defended, plus you can set a long pass later in the game.

Crossman shoud be gone, it's not like he has too many star players that can't or refuse to play ST.

Regarding OL, I don't know if it is technique or lack of talent, but sometimes it's emabarrasing to watch them ole the opposition. Dawkins had a very subpar game today. We need to address this unit in the offseason.

I know he's a rookie and he's progressing but Allen needs to take care of the football, you can't throw the ball across your body on 1st and 20,. throw the ball away kid.

That was the main thing that stood out to me today. I’m realizing that his speed is such a weapon that the rest of his skills almost don’t matter. He’s fast enough that he can get the corner turned around and in chase mode on basically every play, and once he’s done that, you can either throw it over the top where he has him beat or throw back shoulder/a comeback and since the corner is in chase mode, they aren’t able to see the ball and adjust to it as quickly as Foster can. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Coach Tuesday said:

I don't see how either of you could be "right" at this point - it's just too early to tell, you really can't evaluate most rookie QBs until defenses start making adjustments against them and until they've had a full NFL offseason - yesterday the Jets took away the play action and the result was a mixed bag, not great but not nearly as bad as it could've been.  I loved Allen's short game yesterday, he's hitting the 12 yard curls with precision and there was a sprint out pass they called, where he ran to his left and fired a bullet at the sticks, that blew me away.  He is still adding elements to his game.

But we just don't yet know what we have, and we really won't have a good sense of it until October of 2019.

We don't know, but we have seen so far is exactly what Allen's critics and analytics told us what we would get: A QB with accuracy issues who holds onto the ball way too long. 

That he is dead last in both categories is not a good sign.

He might become better in both categories, but the odds seem stacked against him.

4 minutes ago, Kemp said:

We don't know, but we have seen so far is exactly what Allen's critics and analytics told us what we would get: A QB with accuracy issues who holds onto the ball way too long. 

That he is dead last in both categories is not a good sign.

He might become better in both categories, but the odds seem stacked against him.

Holding the ball long is not necessarily a bad thing - he's not taking a record number of sacks, and he's letting the downfield routes materialize - we just have to see what happens when defenses start taking away his comfort zones.  The Patriots game will be a good window.

Let me be clear .. I like the nucleus we have for the coming years .. but totally frustrated at yesterday's game given the way we have performed of late

• Net of Baker Mayfield ... Josh Allen is the best of the Rookie QBs and totally grateful he's a Buffalo Bill.  Love his passion, his scrambling ability, and arm.  That said .. get rid of the ball earlier on busted plays (he's taking way too many unnecessary hits) AND DO NOT throw against your body back into the field of play ... DUMB DUMB DUMB.   Though nice to see some roughing the QB calls for a change as the week before he took too many uncalled hits.
  • Love the way our WR's are playing of late (net of Zay's unfortunate drop).  Think him and Foster are coming together .. the back shoulder pass on the start / stop ... was perfect .. the DB thought it was a bomb and like Top Gun .. he flew right bye when Foster hit the brakes.
  • Our RB's stink .. Murphy hits a hole quicker than Ivory or Shady ... quit dancing behind the line and hit the hole and take the 3-4 yards
  • Tre White got toasted yesterday .. worse game I can recall .. that sideline pass to Anderson crushed us
  • Edmunds ... flashes from time to time good stuff .. but the 4th down play that's why you trade picks to move up .. that's the money play .. there was a gap for him to fill to stop McGuire but he whiffed.  Gotta make that play.  Then on the Darnold crazy scramble (damn Williams almost got him) ... a speed LB should be back there hammering the QB vs. having the play extended.
  • Don't get me started on Special Teams ... something appears wrong with Steve H .. even before the cheap shot right before the half

Thanks for the post. Refreshing to hear someone who doesn’t have their hair on fire over a team we knew was poor having a poor season. 

As Beane and McD have said multiple times, very frankly, this is a young, inexperienced team in the middle of a rebuild. There will be more downs than ups. The good thing is the experience being gained and the culture being instilled. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, WideRightRevenge said:

Let me be clear .. I like the nucleus we have for the coming years .. but totally frustrated at yesterday's game given the way we have performed of late

• Net of Baker Mayfield ... Josh Allen is the best of the Rookie QBs and totally grateful he's a Buffalo Bill.  Love his passion, his scrambling ability, and arm.  That said .. get rid of the ball earlier on busted plays (he's taking way too many unnecessary hits) AND DO NOT throw against your body back into the field of play ... DUMB DUMB DUMB.   Though nice to see some roughing the QB calls for a change as the week before he took too many uncalled hits.
  • Love the way our WR's are playing of late (net of Zay's unfortunate drop).  Think him and Foster are coming together .. the back shoulder pass on the start / stop ... was perfect .. the DB thought it was a bomb and like Top Gun .. he flew right bye when Foster hit the brakes.
  • Our RB's stink .. Murphy hits a hole quicker than Ivory or Shady ... quit dancing behind the line and hit the hole and take the 3-4 yards
  • Tre White got toasted yesterday .. worse game I can recall .. that sideline pass to Anderson crushed us
  • Edmunds ... flashes from time to time good stuff .. but the 4th down play that's why you trade picks to move up .. that's the money play .. there was a gap for him to fill to stop McGuire but he whiffed.  Gotta make that play.  Then on the Darnold crazy scramble (damn Williams almost got him) ... a speed LB should be back there hammering the QB vs. having the play extended.
  • Don't get me started on Special Teams ... something appears wrong with Steve H .. even before the cheap shot right before the half

Best of the rookie quarterbacks? Have you seen Mayfield play? 

14 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

Edmunds is still struggling at MLB. 

Golden opportunity to stop the Jets on 4th down and he completely whiffed.

He is consistently out of position.

That was a big miss, he should have played more to outside contain and seemed to misread it thinking he was going to power it in behind the linemen that was blocking him.   If he had played it to the outside he would have made the stop.    Unfortunate miss.

12 hours ago, Bangarang said:

Allen is the kind of MLB slugger that hits 40 home runs but has a .230 average. 

In his rookie year!

I'll take it!

Next year he will be 45 home run guy with a .265 average

8 hours ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Holding the ball long is not necessarily a bad thing - he's not taking a record number of sacks, and he's letting the downfield routes materialize - we just have to see what happens when defenses start taking away his comfort zones.  The Patriots game will be a good window.

Holding the ball longer than any other QB, by itself is a bad thing, in my opinion. Why do you think it even exists as a stat?

6 minutes ago, Kemp said:

Holding the ball longer than any other QB, by itself is a bad thing, in my opinion. Why do you think it even exists as a stat?

Extending plays can absolutely be used as a positive weapon by QBs who know what they're doing. Aaron Rodgers and Russ Wilson are always at the upper end of this stat as well. DBs struggle to maintain coverage the longer a play goes on, typically.

8 hours ago, WideRightRevenge said:

...plenty of good points bud......think Zay and Speedy Robert BOTH heeded their wake up calls, Zay's "indiscretion" and Robert's commitment/work ethic.....I do like the Murphy kid and has has some definite promise...Shady is no more Shady, sad but true, with special thanks to the OL...Johnson & Milano both had season ending surgery, so bring the Ford kid up......should be two roster spots......Croom is dinged, Logan will forever be Logan, so bring up Towbridge from his 2nd PS stint......Edmunds?....isn't that the guy that hit the ripe old age of 20 in May and has TWELVE NFL games under his belt (a FULL career by TBD standards)?......and we're ragging on him?.....seriously?.....Tre needs a periodic wake up call and a "toast game"...happens to the best of them.....with the NFL de-emphasizing ST's with significant kickoff changes, have we diluted the need for decent ST players or is it Crossman?..Bobby April was at one extreme with his ST p;layers, having far too much say in the final 53.......when the injury bug hit, his guys couldn't do squat at their natural positions to fill in.....are we now at the opposite end of the spectrum with McBeane putting less emphasis on ST player quality or is it Crossman?.....dunno..........

On 12/9/2018 at 4:47 PM, Virgil said:

10 - Around the league - As I'm watching the game to me, the entire NFL season got summed up by one stat.  The 4-7-1 Packers played the 4-8 Falcons this year.  Two the best NFL QB's are 3 games below .500 with only 3 games left.  The Browns have a better record than us.  The Dolphins beat the Pats in a shootout and last minute play.  Overall, this has been a crazy year with a lot of teams playing different games each Sunday.  We should have beaten the Dolphins last week, who beat the Pats.  We definitely should have beaten the playoff bound Texans who just had their win streak come to an end.  Overall, in a season where we always knew we'd be evaluating our team and getting to next season's draft and FA, I'll take the progress we've made on defense, the progress of Allen, and the emergence of Foster, Zay, and Milano.  

Go Bills!

I love point 10! Honestly, literally NO ONE KNOWS how this season will end (except for the Bill's are eliminated). 

Regarding penalties: Those who CAN, block; those who CAN'T, hold.

Inferior players end up breaking the rules in a valiant attempt to do a job that should be above their pay grade.

IMHO

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

Extending plays can absolutely be used as a positive weapon by QBs who know what they're doing. Aaron Rodgers and Russ Wilson are always at the upper end of this stat as well. DBs struggle to maintain coverage the longer a play goes on, typically.

Allen statistically takes far more time than both of them and everyone else, with far worse results.

1 hour ago, Teddy KGB said:

Ever heard of Big Ben, Aaron Rogers, or Russell Wilson ? 

You're trying to hard to stick with your offseason Allen sucks takes. 

Maybe because so far, at least, he does suck.

I've said he might improve. I just doubt it because his weaknesses in college are still big weaknesses in the pros.

15 minutes ago, Kemp said:

Maybe because so far, at least, he does suck.

I've said he might improve. I just doubt it because his weaknesses in college are still big weaknesses in the pros.

You should watch the last 3 weeks of Bills games.   

Try being honest.  

8 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

One poor flare pass.  And of course the picks

i don’t  remember the flare. So that’s one wide open miss. Even the elite QBs have a few each game but too many fans expect Allen perfection even in his eigth game.  Most of throws I saw were on the money or catchable.