One thought on the game, in a particular order

OCinBuffalo

1 minute ago, peterpan said:

I don't get it.  The bills draft multiple DBs every year.  It hasn't worked very well for us (we've stunk for 20 years).    And you are complaining?? 

Meanwhile T Johnson has looked great (but now injured) and Our two good safety's were FA signings.

It seems the bills have done exactly what you wanted and have had no success untill recently. 

Don't confuse effort with results. Drafting a guy here and there, or even over-drafting/signing FAs is not exemplary of anything...other than highlighting that you are now playing catch-up for what should have been done 3 years ago, 2 years ago, last year.

Over-spending on CB in one year is a panic move....because you didn't spend properly every year prior. 

FA signings? RFKM? Do we need to go all the way back to the Nate Clements fiasco? For both us AND the 49ers? The root of all that error is basing CB/DB thinking on 1-2 guys. Again, we need a swarm. Again, we need to be thinking about building a program of CBs, not filling a single position.

6 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

Which DB got burned the most today? Was it the "shut down" first round pick? You remember.....the one we took after we traded away from 2 star quarterbacks.

I will be happy to talk with you more as soon as the drugs and alcohol you ingested wear off.

BOOM! AND FROM THE TOP ROPE WITH A FOLDING CHAIR!

Which DB got burned the most today? Was it the "shut down" first round pick? You remember.....the one we took after we traded away from 2 star quarterbacks.

I will be happy to talk with you more as soon as the drugs and alcohol you ingested wear off.

Bill, this is why people miss you when you're not posting. 

My take on it: Shutdown Corner + No QB = Cleveland Browns, Joe Haden Era.

• Like (+1) 1

Oh please, cop. Pull that crap on somebody else. You know me, and you know better: it doesn't matter what I've ingested(and drugs? really? :rolleyes: come on), you've got 13 years of the same old same old to answer for. You know it, I know it, and this game is just one drop in a sea.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, OCinBuffalo said:

I've been here since 2005, and I've done far more than my share of trolling. Ask anybody.

This is not that. This is literally same argument I've had with:

since 2005.

And here we are. I'm not saying Allen had all day to throw, or that our run blocking was any good, it was crap. I am saying that even with all that, the DBs lost us this game, not the lines.

I'd say Frazier's flat out refusal to blitz a rookie QB who is playing for the first time in over a month on the road as more of a reason we lost

• Thank you (+1) 1

57 minutes ago, Virgil said:

We had injuries going into this game that limited our depth.  Darnold threw a pass that I don't think most DB's in the NFL could stop.  Even with all that being said, most QB's will find open WR's if you give them all day to throw. Even with that, he only threw for 170 yards.  

Not sure that I can put that on the DB's

The story on defense IMO was the time Darnold had to throw.  To allow a rookie QB to sit back there like that is astonishing.  Did the Bills ever lay a hand on Darnold behind the LOS?  Given the guys track record for committing turnovers you would think the Bills would have been blitzing the hell out of Darnold.  But all to often they tried to rely on a 4 man rush that didn't get near him. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, CincyBillsFan said:

The story on defense IMO was the time Darnold had to throw.  To allow a rookie QB to sit back there like that is astonishing.  Did the Bills ever lay a hand on Darnold behind the LOS?  Given the guys track record for committing turnovers you would think the Bills would have been blitzing the hell out of Darnold.  But all to often they tried to rely on a 4 man rush that didn't get near him. 

That's Frazier's Tampon2 safe defense..he calls the defense afraid of the big play..he seldomly will commit more than 4 even when his front is getting stonewalled...I want him fired!..it's been a complaint of fans everywhere he has been..his decades old approach to defense is trash

Just now, CincyBillsFan said:

The story on defense IMO was the time Darnold had to throw.  To allow a rookie QB to sit back there like that is astonishing.  Did the Bills ever lay a hand on Darnold behind the LOS?  Given the guys track record for committing turnovers you would think the Bills would have been blitzing the hell out of Darnold.  But all to often they tried to rely on a 4 man rush that didn't get near him

Which...is why 5 DBs + 2 LBs should have been able to cover a bunch of no-name WRs/TEs. That's what we had: no-names vs no-names. I expect that out of the Jets(50 years of no SB). I don't expect that out of the Bills. I don't expect it out of this FO. 

Moreover, I expect this board to recognize the pattern, and therefore, act accordingly during FA/draft time.

1 hour ago, Joe in Winslow said:

I'd like to see a steel cage grudge match between this guy and Bill in NYC.

The anti-DB guy vs. the pro-DB guy.

I'll sell you the whole seat but you'll only need the edge!!

I've got $100 on Bill.

2 hours ago, Rico said:

I've got $100 on Bill.

What am I supposed to do? Hit a cop?

I could throw some bacon at him(or, I do have some left-over pulled pork), but I suppose even that would get me sent up.

EDIT: Actually, I would never throw that pulled pork at anyone, least of all Bill. Huge waste of good food. I would hand it to him, in sandwich form, tell him he's an [], and to shut up and eat his sandwich.

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan
inappropriate language

1 minute ago, OCinBuffalo said:

Oh please, cop. Pull that crap on somebody else. You know me, and you know better: it doesn't matter what I've ingested(and drugs? really? :rolleyes: come on), you've got 13 years of the same old same old to answer for. You know it, I know it, and this game is just one drop in a sea.

No, it's 20 years of misery. It started with Marv Levy letting our great players age almost all at once and draft defensive back after first round defensive back both as coach and GM. 

You seem like a pretty nice guy. I have no quarrel with you personally. I don't even really care all that much that you called me out by starting a thread about me (however inappropriate).

The context of your post shows that you simply don't know any better. That's cool too. If you haven't learned what the major problems with the Bills are/have been after at least 2 decades, and think that the problem is a lack of resources devoted to defensive backs, that is laughable, but again, go for it. I have no problem with you having an opinion which differs from mine.

PS: You will probably get your wish in April. Chances are that the Bills will focus on DBs and RBs because this is their history. You will be SOOO happy I'm sure that you will increase your intake of illicit drugs, or at least decrease your dosage of anti-depressants.

Either way, good luck! :) :);) 

1 hour ago, OCinBuffalo said:

Well, here we are again, at this time and place of the season, with practice squad heroes, street FAs, and backups of backups....

...STARTING...as our defensive backs == CBs, safeties, whatever. This allowed the Jets back into a game where they were physically beaten in the trenches, both sides, just like last game. So please, tell me again about how things are won upfront...when we win upfront, and still lose the game. :wacko:

It's literally been 8+ years of the same exact thing. Again, we began the game with only one true starting NFL CB on the field, when we need 4. And, #1 guy decides to *%&* the bed. Which only reinforces the point: you can't expect a single CB to be the answer to all things passing in a season.

I have defined this problem, albeit obsessively,(but can you blame me after a decade+ of being right, and no action/change?) since 2005. We still have people, be they posters here, or decision-makers in the FO, or idiot media, that can't seem to process this simple concept: "it's a passing league", and teams do not have 2 starting CBs, they have 4. 4! Even if one grudgingly agrees that a slot CB is a starter(= 3rd LB only on field 30-40% of snaps => is he a starter?), it seems near impossible for that person to understand that you need a 4th corner to cover today's TEs/4 WR sets/RB out of the backfield today. Again: 4 Starters.

It makes no difference if you have 2 stud CBs. Today's QBs are simply going to find whoever is being covered by your #3-4 guys and throw it to them. And if anybody gets hurt? :wallbash: How many times must we repeat the lesson? This is rapidly approaching Orwellian denial of reason. Why is there such a blind spot on this?

Answer: because at draft time, when we take a CB in the 4th round, or any round? Clowns abound screaming about how we could have taken a C/T/G. For literally 13 years the same nonsense: draft O line is the dullard's answer to everything, and yet: nothing. :rolleyes:

You think I'm being overly hard on this point? Wait until the draft pick threads. When we take an any-round CB: same old crap from the same old posters.

Our oline got destroyed today. We did not win in the trenches. 

Also, Wallace looked good.

1 minute ago, Joe in Winslow said:

How many rounds

I'm not thinking rounds, I'm thinking WWE-style, 1st one out of the cage.

Only way OC wins is if he kicks Bill in the nuts early and is quick enough to climb out.

• Haha (+1) 1

No, it's 20 years of misery. It started with Marv Levy letting our great players age almost all at once and draft defensive back after first round defensive back both as coach and GM. 

You seem like a pretty nice guy. I have no quarrel with you personally. I don't even really care all that much that you called me out by starting a thread about me (however inappropriate).

The context of your post shows that you simply don't know any better. That's cool too. If you haven't learned what the major problems with the Bills are/have been after at least 2 decades, and think that the problem is a lack of resources devoted to defensive backs, that is laughable, but again, go for it. I have no problem with you having an opinion which differs from mine.

PS: You will probably get your wish in April. Chances are that the Bills will focus on DBs and RBs because this is their history. You will be SOOO happy I'm sure that you will increase your intake of illicit drugs, or at least decrease your dosage of anti-depressants.

Bill is the best. Holy *****. 

23 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

No. NO RB!

IYRC, I hated the Lynch pick. I hated the McGahee pick. What do I have to learn: how many years in a row do YOU want to start Silly McCantTurnHisHips against Brady? How about 3 of them, with 1 good corner?

Do you really think offensive line is the reason we lost both games to the Patriots last year? 

And, no, I didn't call you out. If I wanted to call you out, I would have started a thread like "the top 10 things Bill has been wrong about for the last 10 years". No, this was merely a goof, to make a point. 

And hey, I don't do drugs. I'm asking as a long time comrade: knock that off. It's a small thing, and if you want to run with it as a troll that's fine, but, I don't give money to assclowns, so they can give it to even worse people.

16 minutes ago, Domdab99 said:

how can one of anything, even a thought, be in any particular order but this:

1. The one thought. 

tenor.gif?itemid=4668781

Here's your help

Edited by OCinBuffalo

2 hours ago, OCinBuffalo said:

Well, here we are again, at this time and place of the season, with practice squad heroes, street FAs, and backups of backups....

...STARTING...as our defensive backs == CBs, safeties, whatever. This allowed the Jets back into a game where they were physically beaten in the trenches, both sides, just like last game. So please, tell me again about how things are won upfront...when we win upfront, and still lose the game. :wacko:

It's literally been 8+ years of the same exact thing. Again, we began the game with only one true starting NFL CB on the field, when we need 4. And, #1 guy decides to *%&* the bed. Which only reinforces the point: you can't expect a single CB to be the answer to all things passing in a season.

I have defined this problem, albeit obsessively,(but can you blame me after a decade+ of being right, and no action/change?) since 2005. We still have people, be they posters here, or decision-makers in the FO, or idiot media, that can't seem to process this simple concept: "it's a passing league", and teams do not have 2 starting CBs, they have 4. 4! Even if one grudgingly agrees that a slot CB is a starter(= 3rd LB only on field 30-40% of snaps => is he a starter?), it seems near impossible for that person to understand that you need a 4th corner to cover today's TEs/4 WR sets/RB out of the backfield today. Again: 4 Starters.

It makes no difference if you have 2 stud CBs. Today's QBs are simply going to find whoever is being covered by your #3-4 guys and throw it to them. And if anybody gets hurt? :wallbash: How many times must we repeat the lesson? This is rapidly approaching Orwellian denial of reason. Why is there such a blind spot on this?

Answer: because at draft time, when we take a CB in the 4th round, or any round? Clowns abound screaming about how we could have taken a C/T/G. For literally 13 years the same nonsense: draft O line is the dullard's answer to everything, and yet: nothing. :rolleyes:

You think I'm being overly hard on this point? Wait until the draft pick threads. When we take an any-round CB: same old crap from the same old posters.

Blah, blah, blah.  Enjoy the tank