One thought on the game, in a particular order

OCinBuffalo

Well, here we are again, at this time and place of the season, with practice squad heroes, street FAs, and backups of backups....

...STARTING...as our defensive backs == CBs, safeties, whatever. This allowed the Jets back into a game where they were physically beaten in the trenches, both sides, just like last game. So please, tell me again about how things are won upfront...when we win upfront, and still lose the game. :wacko:

It's literally been 8+ years of the same exact thing. Again, we began the game with only one true starting NFL CB on the field, when we need 4. And, #1 guy decides to *%&* the bed. Which only reinforces the point: you can't expect a single CB to be the answer to all things passing in a season.

I have defined this problem, albeit obsessively,(but can you blame me after a decade+ of being right, and no action/change?) since 2005. We still have people, be they posters here, or decision-makers in the FO, or idiot media, that can't seem to process this simple concept: "it's a passing league", and teams do not have 2 starting CBs, they have 4. 4! Even if one grudgingly agrees that a slot CB is a starter(= 3rd LB only on field 30-40% of snaps => is he a starter?), it seems near impossible for that person to understand that you need a 4th corner to cover today's TEs/4 WR sets/RB out of the backfield today. Again: 4 Starters.

It makes no difference if you have 2 stud CBs. Today's QBs are simply going to find whoever is being covered by your #3-4 guys and throw it to them. And if anybody gets hurt? :wallbash: How many times must we repeat the lesson? This is rapidly approaching Orwellian denial of reason. Why is there such a blind spot on this?

Answer: because at draft time, when we take a CB in the 4th round, or any round? Clowns abound screaming about how we could have taken a C/T/G. For literally 13 years the same nonsense: draft O line is the dullard's answer to everything, and yet: nothing. :rolleyes:

You think I'm being overly hard on this point? Wait until the draft pick threads. When we take an any-round CB: same old crap from the same old posters.

Edited by OCinBuffalo
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

1 minute ago, OCinBuffalo said:

Well, here we are again, at this time and place of the season, with practice squad heroes, street FAs, and backups of backups....

...STARTING...as our defensive backs == CBs, safeties, whatever. This allowed the Jets back into a game where they were physically beaten in the trenches, both sides, just like last game. So please, tell me again about how things are won upfront...when we win upfront, and still lose the game. :wacko:

It's literally been 8+ years of the same exact thing. Again, we began the game with only one true starting NFL CB on the field, when we need 4. And, #1 guy decides to *%&* the bed. Which only reinforces the point: you can't expect a single CB to be the answer to all things passing in a season.

I have defined this problem, albeit obsessively,(but can you blame me after a decade+ of being right, and no action/change?) since 2005. We still have people, be they posters here, or decision-makers in the FO, or idiot media, that can't seem to process this simple concept: "it's a passing league", and teams do not have 2 starting CBs, they have 4. 4! Even if one grudgingly agrees that a slot CB is a starter(= 3rd LB only sees the on field 30-40% of snaps => is he a starter?), it seems near impossible for that person to understand that you need a 4th corner to cover today's TEs/4 WR sets/RB out of the backfield today. Again: 4 Starters.

It makes no difference if you have 2 stud CBs. Today's QBs are simply going to find whoever is being covered by your #3-4 guys and throw it to them. And if anybody gets hurt? :wallbash: How many times must we repeat the lesson? This is rapidly approaching Orwellian denial of reason. Why is there such a blind spot on this?

Answer: because at draft time, when we take a CB in the 4th round, or any round? Clowns abound screaming about how we could have taken a C/T/G. For literally 13 years the same nonsense: draft O line is the dullard's answer to everything, and yet: nothing. :rolleyes:

You think I'm being overly hard on this point? Wait until the draft pick threads. When we take an any-round CB: same old crap from the same old posters.

Which is why it makes sense to biuld up the offense

We have a good defense......and I do like Wallace even....but there are going to be weeks when a good defense is going to get scored on in todays NFL

We need to biuld up the offense.....which in turn will turn our opposition one dimensional....helping the defense

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, nedboy7 said:

This is not gonna be liked. Too negative. You better make another post about all the positives you see. Otherwise you will be a troll. 

I've been here since 2005, and I've done far more than my share of trolling. Ask anybody.

This is not that. This is literally same argument I've had with:

6 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

I'd like to see a steel cage grudge match between this guy and Bill in NYC.

The anti-DB guy vs. the pro-DB guy.

I'll sell you the whole seat but you'll only need the edge!!

since 2005.

And here we are. I'm not saying Allen had all day to throw, or that our run blocking was any good, it was crap. I am saying that even with all that, the DBs lost us this game, not the lines.

Edited by OCinBuffalo

3 minutes ago, OCinBuffalo said:

I have defined this problem, albeit obsessively,(but can you blame me after a decade+ of being right, and no action/change?) since 2005. We still have people, be they posters here, or decision-makers in the FO, or idiot media, that can't seem to process this simple concept: "it's a passing league", and teams do not have 2 starting CBs, they have 4. 4! Even if one grudgingly agrees that a slot CB is a starter(= 3rd LB only on field 30-40% of snaps => is he a starter?), it seems near impossible for that person to understand that you need a 4th corner to cover today's TEs/4 WR sets/RB out of the backfield today. Again: 4 Starters.

So your suggesting we should take an RB in the 1st & 3rd round?  

?

• Haha (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, nedboy7 said:

This is not gonna be liked. Too negative. You better make another post about all the positives you see. Otherwise you will be a troll. 

Constructive criticism is fine. Deranged knuckle-dragging "hurr durr McD passed on Mahomes" comments are not. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, BillsEnthusiast said:

Constructive criticism is fine. Deranged knuckle-dragging "hurr durr McD passed on Mahomes" comments are not. 

This is not an Allen thread, nor should it be: Allen did excellent, and given a few mid-level resources expended on the line, in FA, he'll have plenty of time to throw next year. 

That's not why we lost the last 2 games in a row. We lost them because we had the other team physically beaten, which is the purpose of lines, we could not stop the unlikely/low %/lucky crap/ref provided(however defined) passes that gain huge yards and change the game. Don't forget: we cut EJ Gaines because of 2 PIs that gave away another game. That's just this year. You want me to go over every instance, every year? I can, but you won't like how long that post is.

How many times must the lesson be repeated?

Just now, OCinBuffalo said:

This is not an Allen thread, nor should it be: Allen did excellent, and given a few mid-level resources expended on the line, in FA, he'll have plenty of time to throw next year. 

That's not why we lost the last 2 games in a row. We lost them because we had the other team physically beaten, which is the purpose of lines, we could not stop the unlikely/low %/lucky crap/ref provided(however defined) passes that gain huge yards and change the game. Don't forget: we cut EJ Gaines because of 2 PIs that gave away another game. That's just this year. You want me to go over every instance, every year? I can, but you won't like how long that post is.

I'm not dogging on your thread at all. We definitely need more defensive backs, even as backups. 

1 minute ago, BillsEnthusiast said:

I'm not dogging on your thread at all. We definitely need more defensive backs, even as backups. 

I have a rep for managing the threads I start. Again, ask anybody. Don't take it any other way than proper thread management. :)

• Thank you (+1) 1

We had injuries going into this game that limited our depth.  Darnold threw a pass that I don't think most DB's in the NFL could stop.  Even with all that being said, most QB's will find open WR's if you give them all day to throw. Even with that, he only threw for 170 yards.  

Not sure that I can put that on the DB's

• Like (+1) 3

1 minute ago, Joe in Winslow said:

let's get this party started @Bill from NYC!

Heh, Bill knows far better than to get himself involved in this thread, today. Both of us have an above-average understanding of the game. Thus, he knows that walking into this thread, with me on the warpath, is a no-win proposition. Nah, he'll start his crap right after FA, when we don't overpay for the G he wanted. :lol: (Now, that? That is me...trolling.)

2 minutes ago, Virgil said:

We had injuries going into this game that limited our depth.  Darnold threw a pass that I don't think most DB's in the NFL could stop.  Even with all that being said, most QB's will find open WR's if you give them all day to throw. Even with that, he only threw for 170 yards.  

Not sure that I can put that on the DB's

Right, you can't put 3 key 3rd down completions in the 4th QTR on the DBs. Ok, can you put one of them on them? 1 was all we needed to win the game.

10 minutes ago, OCinBuffalo said:

. Don't forget: we cut EJ Gaines because of 2 PIs that gave away another game. That's just this year. You want me to go over every instance, every year? I can, but you won't like how long that post is.

Philip Gaines. 

2 minutes ago, OCinBuffalo said:

Heh, Bill knows far better than to get himself involved in this thread, today. Both of us have an above-average understanding of the game. Thus, he knows that walking into this thread, with me on the warpath, is a no-win proposition. Nah, he'll start his crap right after FA, when we don't overpay for the G he wanted. :lol: (Now, that? That is me...trolling.)

Right, you can't put 3 key 3rd down completions in the 4th QTR on the DBs. Ok, can you put one of them on them? 1 was all we needed to win the game.

Where was the pressure? At all

• Like (+1) 3

It's not just about having four Tre Whites in the defensive backfield. A great pass rush will also help even mediocre DBs because that rush makes the QB hurry his throws and make mistakes.

Going back to the 70s the Bills had one of the very best defensive secondary's in the league with Mario Clark, Charles Romes as they were #1 in passing attempts allowed and #1 in yards allowed. Yet not so great at stopping the run... so teams ran on them. 

My point here is no area of the team needs nothing but #1 picks or elite players. It's all about balance and finding good players at all positions. 

Buffalo lost to the Jets today because of poor special teams and almost no pass rush more then anything else IMO. It could be that the Bills defenders/rushers were being held by the Jets line and it wasn't being called due to one of the refs being disciplined because of Jerry Hughes. 

• Like (+1) 2