[Incomplete Title] As an admitted McDermott detractor

cgg716

2 minutes ago, BillsEnthusiast said:

"Technically" alive. How many times did we hear that from 2000-2017?

Not as many as we heard “wait until next year” It’s always going to be different, until it’s not. Then when we are 4-6 next year we will have some magic waiting in the wings for 2020. Nothing is a given. I couldnt careless about these “next years” that never come

Edited by Brianmoorman4jesus
  • Sad 1

Just now, Best Williams Available said:

I don’t care what Vegas says, the Bills team I watched the last two weeks (sans ST) were better than their opponents on that given day. Yet, they took L’s in both cases. That’s worrisome. I’m def not saying this team is talented, don’t get me wrong. But a better, more experienced coach doesn’t allow his team to lose games like these. I hope McD can become that guy. The others in the line didn’t. 

Every coach loses games they shouldn't. The Patriots just got beat by Miami. The Saints lost last week to a team that had no business beating them.

This team has a long way to go. Now if we are getting completely owned in games by mid point next year, I'll be concerned. But this is a rebuild. Expectations should not be high. We have a rookie QB and young contributors everywhere. We have a huge lack of talent. It is tough to compete in clutch situations when you lack talent.

18 minutes ago, MJS said:

The squib kicks were clearly because they were getting gashed in the return game every single time. That's the only reason.

Why would the defensive minded head coach tell Daboll what to run? That makes no sense. If Daboll isn't doing a good job, McDermott will fire him like he did the OC from last year. But you think that McDermott knows how to call an effective offense with his whole career being on the defensive side of the ball? You think offensive minded head coaches in the league call plays for their defenses? No, they let the guys they hire do their jobs.

This defense doesn't blitz much. That's the defense they run. A lot of defenses are that way. Plus they had guys injured. I disagree that they were playing safe. They played their same defense that they always do. Now if they failed to make adjustments, that's one thing, but that doesn't mean they were playing safe or conservatively.

I didn’t specify specific plays but if you don’t think he tells Daboll to play for 3 or 7 you are nuts. So do you assume that no head coach has input in the final minutes? Just the play callers?

19 minutes ago, Mark Vader said:

So it's a lost cause.

The Bills will not win with McDermott as coach, right?

I believe this, yes. Teams very rarely win in spite of their coaches. Dallas is doing it now in an awful division. A scenario like this would be the best the Bills could hope for, but NE will not allow for that

33 minutes ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

Not as many as we heard “wait until next year” It’s always going to be different, until it’s not. Then when we are 4-6 next year we will have some magic waiting in the wings for 2020. Nothing is a given. I couldnt careless about these “next years” that never come

Ayuh for my older brother that damn year never camel. 

26 minutes ago, MJS said:

Every coach loses games they shouldn't. The Patriots just got beat by Miami. The Saints lost last week to a team that had no business beating them.

This team has a long way to go. Now if we are getting completely owned in games by mid point next year, I'll be concerned. But this is a rebuild. Expectations should not be high. We have a rookie QB and young contributors everywhere. We have a huge lack of talent. It is tough to compete in clutch situations when you lack talent.

I don’t care that they lost this game, due to my low expectations. But specifically speaking about McD and not the players; the guy gets out-coached and -schemed quite a bit. It’s a point of concern going forward for me because a trend may be appearing. They could flip the talent level next year and have weapons everywhere, but still lose games due to coaching. For continual success, we need both. 

The second to last FG drive, where we get to the 30 and basically sit on it to kick the FG (because our HC is so confident in his D), was a page out of Rex’s playbook. Then executed identically.

28 minutes ago, cgg716 said:

I believe this, yes. Teams very rarely win in spite of their coaches. Dallas is doing it now in an awful division. A scenario like this would be the best the Bills could hope for, but NE will not allow for that

Alright, then what is your solution?

Doug Pederson won a Super Bowl his second year in Philly.  Second year in Sean McDermott is already knowing he’s not Brandon Beane’s favorite and cutting Peterman after the presser Sean gave; was the kiss of death.  I think slowly Beane is looking at the auditions for interim Coach for the pressers and it falls to either Daboll or Frazier at this point.  Beane will be looking to cut his losses and find a Coach who can actually elevate players not Jauron them into his boring systematic approach.  

1 hour ago, Best Williams Available said:

I don’t care that they lost this game, due to my low expectations. But specifically speaking about McD and not the players; the guy gets out-coached and -schemed quite a bit. It’s a point of concern going forward for me because a trend may be appearing. They could flip the talent level next year and have weapons everywhere, but still lose games due to coaching. For continual success, we need both. 

The second to last FG drive, where we get to the 30 and basically sit on it to kick the FG (because our HC is so confident in his D), was a page out of Rex’s playbook. Then executed identically.

How do you tell the difference between getting out coached and not having enough talent? The plan could be great, but if you don't have guys who can execute the plan, it doesn't matter. So can you give me examples of him being out coached vs just losing due to bad players?

4 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I am a McDermott guy and I still support him.... but man the coaching sucked today. 

- the lack of pressure packages thrown at Darnold;

- trick plays at the wrong time (hated the Zay Jones pass on 3rd and 3 deep in the redzone and we over used the end around);

- the Special Teams planning and coaching was horrible;

- the decision to try a long FG with a hurt kicker was nonsensical. 

That to me is the worst coached Bills game since Sean got here. The Jets outcoached us today. 

What we are seeing out there...........leading the NFL in penalties.........sloppy undisciplined play..........bad game management/coaching decisions......leading to the snatching of defeat from the jaws of victory against divisional opponents in back to back weeks.........this is more consistent with Rex-ball than the whole "Process" mentality of "earning the right to win".

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, MJS said:

How do you tell the difference between getting out coached and not having enough talent? The plan could be great, but if you don't have guys who can execute the plan, it doesn't matter. So can you give me examples of him being out coached vs just losing due to bad players?

Because the jets are full of bad players too, thus today was about coaching 

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, cgg716 said:

A Question to his supporters.. yes I know he made the playoffs last year and many believe that should give him some leeway. I believe there is no doubt he gets another year, but a question for the supporters, is it the playoffs or do you geniuely believe he’s a good coach?

He played today like Jauron would have and that is not the first time. I don’t think we would find many who think his game desicions are solid. And even if you think that having a defensive first coach is workable, is his lauded defense, his supposed strength really that good. Remarkably easy TDS to questionable offenses, in winnable games the last two weeks and several blow outs on his record. It should be at least called into question 

jauron wouldnt have run a passing play from his own end zone down by 6 with 20 seconds left. 

This is about developing a QB. Game plan had lots of short underneath stuff. Notice the move to quick small slot type WRs.  Reminds me of another AFC offense 

5 hours ago, cgg716 said:

A Question to his supporters.. yes I know he made the playoffs last year and many believe that should give him some leeway. I believe there is no doubt he gets another year, but a question for the supporters, is it the playoffs or do you geniuely believe he’s a good coach?

He played today like Jauron would have and that is not the first time. I don’t think we would find many who think his game desicions are solid. And even if you think that having a defensive first coach is workable, is his lauded defense, his supposed strength really that good. Remarkably easy TDS to questionable offenses, in winnable games the last two weeks and several blow outs on his record. It should be at least called into question 

You have seen our Oline play right.  Especially considering the loss of our starting center.  I also think they get stuffed at the goal line with Milano not hurt.  Darnold just made a great pass and there WR had just enough of a push off to make the catch.  You act as though Darnold hit a wide open WR.  Our big problem right now isnt our offense or D, its our special teams.  The Jets with some help from the officials earned a W today.  Allen had a fumble due to a rookie mistake.  He threw a rookie int.  We will likely lose another game or 2.  Get over it on to the next evaluation game.  Thats what it is like it or not.  We have a lot of inexperienced players on this team and its likely there were more mistakes than we know.  Also they need to bench Clay.  Dont release him as I believe that is what he wants.

15 minutes ago, cgg716 said:

Because the jets are full of bad players too, thus today was about coaching 

Maybe their bad players executed better than our young players.

6 hours ago, cgg716 said:

I said something similar in another thread.  Yes, he gets another year, but is a team that just doesn't make plays when they need them the fault of the talent?   Maybe, I suppose, because a lot of them are young.   But I don't get the feeling that McDermott's team is really schooled in how to play.  

Really, the reason we say he gets another year is that it's just too early to tell about McD.   He's learning, his talent is changing.  The talent is learning.   Lots of moving parts.   THe Pegulas knew they were buying a longer-term project with McDermott.   He isn't failing, but he hasn't shown that he's succeeding, either.  

2 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

I said something similar in another thread.  Yes, he gets another year, but is a team that just doesn't make plays when they need them the fault of the talent?   Maybe, I suppose, because a lot of them are young.   But I don't get the feeling that McDermott's team is really schooled in how to play.  

Really, the reason we say he gets another year is that it's just too early to tell about McD.   He's learning, his talent is changing.  The talent is learning.   Lots of moving parts.   THe Pegulas knew they were buying a longer-term project with McDermott.   He isn't failing, but he hasn't shown that he's succeeding, either.  

Love your weekly write ups Shaw.. thanks for commenting 

4 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

SDS (board owner) requests that the title be a complete sentence, not a sentence fragment answered in the first post.

Something like “Question for McDermott supporters: do you think he’s a good coach?”  Would do that.  

“As an admitted McDermott detractor...” leaves us in doubt are you about to praise him or express your conversion to supporting him or blast him or ??

Thank you. For a second, I felt like I was transported back to 8th grade English class. But nope, I’m still in 2018. Oh well. 

3 hours ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

jauron wouldnt have run a passing play from his own end zone down by 6 with 20 seconds left. 

This is about developing a QB. Game plan had lots of short underneath stuff. Notice the move to quick small slot type WRs.  Reminds me of another AFC offense 

Of which Josh did pretty well at.....especially on 3rd down.

We literally cannot run the ball to keep a balanced offense.

6 hours ago, Joeziehmer said:

Doug Pederson won a Super Bowl his second year in Philly.  Second year in Sean McDermott is already knowing he’s not Brandon Beane’s favorite and cutting Peterman after the presser Sean gave; was the kiss of death.  I think slowly Beane is looking at the auditions for interim Coach for the pressers and it falls to either Daboll or Frazier at this point.  Beane will be looking to cut his losses and find a Coach who can actually elevate players not Jauron them into his boring systematic approach.  

Doug Pederman didn't put the Eagles through a rebuild because he had so many players in place. Your posts are 99% assumptions, you have no idea what Beane is thinking so you're just making stuff up.

Cutting players that aren't playing up to their contracts and taking a  dead cap hit of nearly 60m isn't going to lead to a team that can sufficiently compete this season. It's also something you can't sneak past the GM and owner so McDermott didn't do this all on his own. They all chose to rebuild this way so making up crap like he's auditioning for interim head coaches, on the hot seat and looking to cut his losses is f-ing ridiculous.

Edited by downunderbill
Spelling

4 hours ago, Ned Kelly said:

Done. 

Posted in your mocking draft thread.

In a draft class rich with offensive linemen you took one center?  In the first round when we need to bolster those positions and keep Allen safe?  Got weapons but without a line not going to be able to execute any way to get the ball to them.