[Incomplete Title] As an admitted McDermott detractor

cgg716

44 minutes ago, nedboy7 said:

Somehow tyrod sucks and we made the playoffs despite him. Then he gets rid of the horrible QB and we are a mess. Yet the coach gets a pass cause we made the playoffs last year. That’s not how it works. 

It’s not like we just lost Tyrod and kept everything the same- we lost 2 very good O-Linemen. One from a freak injury, the other from a mental breakdown. Dawkins stepped up and I don’t miss Glenn all that much because of it. KB was basically a zombie on the field this year, and we asked. Rookie QB who was supposed to sit and learn for a year to make us into contenders. 

The coach gets a “pass” because we need to jettison bad contracts and need to shore up the offense- there was no way we would do it all within 1 offseason. I admit he needs to manage the clock and stop playing conservative (especially when we aren’t in the playoffs). Let’s see what this D has got and let the offense just do its thing. This season is over- play to see what we have, and don’t worry about the result. This offseason and draft is when we need to get things corrected, and then I think we can fairly evaluate this team. 

Just now, billsfan11 said:

Some red flags for Mcd:

1. Penalties- I am not saying that’s his fault as it’s the players Making the mistakes but at the end of the day it’s happening under his watch

2. Clock management- He still puzzles me game in and game out on how he manages the clock on certain situations. Including wasting a lot of timeouts on stupid challenges 

3. His defence- Rookie Injuried QB on the road and him and Frazier decide to sit back and play a soft shell? That was inexcusable.

I Am not saying fire him now or anything like that, but he definitely has a lot of red flags IMO

I think a lot of the penalties are ticky tack ***** that only gets called against us.  Not sure how many we had today, but the past two weeks refs called more penalties agains the Bills than the NFL average for BOTH teams in a game.  Most of those penalties were ***** calls.  I think all coaches make tactical mistakes.  Winning coaches get a pass, but they all make mistakes.  Just my opinion, but I tend to be an optimist.  I believe he and Beane were the first solid HC and GM hirings in a very long time.  I'll give them at least two more years before conceding defeat.

3 hours ago, LABillzFan said:

It's stunning to me that you bring up Peterman all the time. You're literally two posts away from yelling "LACES OUT, DAN! LACES OUT!"

Give it up. The error was altered. Now you're just a one-note poster who can't think beyond "PETERMAN!!!!" :lol:

After how many blow outs and multi-interception games?  It's stunning you give him a free pass ,

Edited by Joeziehmer
Profanity

1 minute ago, xsoldier54 said:

I think a lot of the penalties are ticky tack ***** that only gets called against us.  Not sure how many we had today, but the past two weeks refs called more penalties agains the Bills than the NFL average for BOTH teams in a game.  Most of those penalties were ***** calls.  I think all coaches make tactical mistakes.  Winning coaches get a pass, but they all make mistakes.  Just my opinion, but I tend to be an optimist.  I believe he and Beane were the first solid HC and GM hirings in a very long time.  I'll give them at least two more years before conceding defeat.

I’ll give them till the end of next year.

And maybe some are ticky tack but that also goes for the other 31 teams.

Leading the league in penalties is inexcusable, especially for a “process” type of guy who preaches discipline.

• Sad 1

Just now, Joeziehmer said:

After how many blow outs and multi-interception games?  It's stunning you give him a free pass.  Bravo-foxtrot LAMP.

I think that's the first time you posted without mentioning Peterman. Such growth. Keep up the good work. Thanks for making me optimistic about our team.

9 minutes ago, PeterDude said:

Did I ever say same success? No one has been saying that... 

Mahomes would have been a QB to build around, Allen simply is not that, he will never be the passer required for the kind of success we all want this team to achieve. The only reason so many of you can't see that is blind faith in the franchise, no matter how blatant the mistakes have been.

But how do you know that he won't be that? He accounts for hundreds of yards of offense BY HIMSELF with hardly any support around him. 

I support McD because he is the current Bills HC.  It's still early in his tenure; his success or failure will depend on the draft, FA, and personnel decisions he makes - both players and coaches.  If he holds on to certain coaches because of friendship/familiarity, that will most likely not bode well for him.

22 minutes ago, xsoldier54 said:

He's a good coach.  We have a ***** team.  I give him and Beane two more years.  This team was a disaster both offensively and defensively when they took over.  We are getting better, but just not good enough yet.  O Line is still a mess.  Hopefully they address that and WR in the offseason.  

That's just not true.

1 minute ago, BillsEnthusiast said:

But how do you know that he won't be that? He accounts for hundreds of yards of offense BY HIMSELF with hardly any support around him. 

50% completion, his ENTIRE career playing football at whatever level. That right there is all the data you need to make the projection. His running yards will never bring the Bills a Lombardi trophy, that's not how an NFLfranchise builds its championship winning teams, ever.

• Sad 1

To me, there’s no real difference between McDermott and Bowles.  Defensive-minded, Jauronball, play-not-to-lose coaches who are not suited to the modern NFL.  The sooner he’s shown the door, the better.

• Like (+1) 2

58 minutes ago, Phil The Thrill said:

Yes I think he’s a good coach.  The talent level on the Bills was considered to be among the worst in the NFL.  

He lost today, largely because of special teams and because his OL and DL got owned today.  Also star CB Tre White was owned as well.  

Since McDermott is largely responsible for the lack of talent on the current Bills, he can't use it as an excuse.  He wanted these players because of their supposed commitment to "the process" and sent more talented players packing who allegedly didn't buy into his "vision".  I don't know exactly what the hell McDermott means by "the process", but it seems to me to include putting loyalty to "family and friends" ahead of objective talent evaluation of both assistant coaches and players.

• Like (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, Mojo44 said:

Why oh why does this need constant reminding to some of you Tyrod apologists? But, here it goes. For the last five games of the season last year when the bills made their playoff run Taylor could not lead the team to a 4thquarter touchdown. The defense had to hang on by the skin of its teeth!! Then, throw in the playoff game at Jacksonville when the defense played it ass off and Taylor couldn’t even score a touchdown. The narrative is so ridiculous that he was anything but horrible it’s now an indefensible joke. Please, all of you who are left, stop it now for good!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Please do not tell me what I can post.  It's called an opinion.  When someone doesn't agree with you its ok.  You do not need to ask them to stop posting.  This seems to be a common theme around here. 

Did you read what I was responding to?  My post had nothing to do with defending TT. 

24 minutes ago, xsoldier54 said:

This team was a disaster both offensively and defensively when they took over.  

The team was .500 under Wrex Ryan, with the best offense of the drought years—hardly a disaster, hardly a team in need of a down-to-the-studs rebuild.

17 minutes ago, PeterDude said:

Did I ever say same success? No one has been saying that... 

Mahomes would have been a QB to build around, Allen simply is not that, he will never be the passer required for the kind of success we all want this team to achieve. The only reason so many of you can't see that is blind faith in the franchise, no matter how blatant the mistakes have been.

There are very few posters here who call it the way it is.  I agree with you about Allen.

People here are high on him b/c he makes good, exciting runs, is clearly a gamer, and definitely wants to win.  It's easy to cheer for him and want to see him succeed. 

The problem is his passing game, which isn't good.  

PS:  I think there is a chance McDermott does not get 1.5 more years.  I can see a scenario where he is let go end of next year. 

10 minutes ago, billsfan11 said:

I’ll give them till the end of next year.

And maybe some are ticky tack but that also goes for the other 31 teams.

Leading the league in penalties is inexcusable, especially for a “process” type of guy who preaches discipline.

Again,  not much you can do about ticky tack calls.  And as for the other 31 teams, the average number of penalties for BOTH teams combined in an NFL game is 13.  Bills had more than that themselves the past two weeks.   They were mostly bad calls.  Nobody else gets flagged as much as Buffalo and I don't believe it's because they are committing that many more penalties, they just get called more.  Jets O-Line was holding all day today.  How many calls did we get?