[Incomplete Title] As an admitted McDermott detractor

cgg716

8 hours ago, MJS said:

How do you tell the difference between getting out coached and not having enough talent? The plan could be great, but if you don't have guys who can execute the plan, it doesn't matter. So can you give me examples of him being out coached vs just losing due to bad players?

I have usually been the first this season to point at the execution of the players that has been atrocious because we are under talented. But today there is a lot of specifics that you can blame on coaching:

Why didn't they send extra pressure at Darnold when he began to get comfortable in the 2nd half? I think I counted one blitz the whole half. Coaching.

Why did it take them so long to make any adjustment at all in the kicking game to the fact that they were getting abysmal gunner play and the Jets returner was gashing us? Coaching.

Why when 14-6 up with a 3rd and 3 deep in the redzone did we run a ridiculous gimmick play with Zay Jones passing? Coaching.

Why did we try and kick a long FG with an injured FG kicker? Coaching.

McDermott is the Head Coach. The coaching was awful yesterday. The buck stops with him. And I am a McDermott guy. I still support him. But when you have bad talent (we do) it is even more important the coaches put them in position to be the best versions of themselves. We didn't do that yesterday.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Sad 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

I have usually been the first this season to point at the execution of the players that has been atrocious because we are under talented. But today there is a lot of specifics that you can blame on coaching:

Why didn't they send extra pressure at Darnold when he began to get comfortable in the 2nd half? I think I counted one blitz the whole half. Coaching.

Why did it take them so long to make any adjustment at all in the kicking game to the fact that they were getting abysmal gunner play and the Jets returner was gashing us? Coaching.

Why when 14-6 up with a 3rd and 3 deep in the redzone did we run a ridiculous gimmick play with Zay Jones passing? Coaching.

McDermott is the Head Coach. The coaching was awful yesterday. The buck stops with him. And I am a McDermott guy. I still support him. But when you have bad talent (we do) it is even more important the coaches put them in position to be the best versions of themselves. We didn't do that yesterday.

Tired of looking at picks when we needed help on the offensive line and didn’t bother to address it.  But, hey for free agency we signed Murphy and Star.  Because, you know it’s McDermott’s defensive genius.  If Brandon Beane cut Nate Peterman; after McDermott’s confidence presser.  It means McDermott is falling out of favor with not just Beane but Pegula’s and I honestly feel that Beane to save his own neck; is looking a bringing in his own Head Coach. 

2 minutes ago, Joeziehmer said:

If Brandon Beane cut Nate Peterman; after McDermott’s confidence presser.  It means McDermott is falling out of favor with not just Beane but Pegula’s and I honestly feel that Beane to save his own neck; is looking a bringing in his own Head Coach. 

I actually think that was just McDermott doing Peterman one last solid before releasing him. On a personal basis he obviously loved Nate Peterman and I do think it clouded his football judgment somewhat. That final presser to me was just McDermott trying to get out to the rest of the league that he still thinks Nate can play to help him find a new club. The problem being the league has watched the tape. Nate is done in the NFL.

As for McDermott falling out of favour.... I don't believe that is the case. I think Beane and McDermott know they are tied at the hip and I think they know this offseason is critical to both their futures.

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Jpsredemption said:

He's an old school coach with an old school mentality. Play tough defense, keep the game close, and believe in culture over strategy.

All this adds up to is thorough mediocrity at best. 

I think the writing is on the wall here.  Brandon Beane is looking to save his own neck.  Right now he’s got more sway with Terry and Kim than McDermott has.  The Nate Peterman release after the McDermott confidence presser all but assured that.  After bringing in McDermott guys in Star and Murphy knowing that offensive line was the bigger need as we drafted Allen.

4 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I actually think that was just McDermott doing Peterman one last solid before releasing him. On a personal basis he obviously loved Nate Peterman and I do think it clouded his football judgment somewhat. That final presser to me was just McDermott trying to get out to the rest of the league that he still thinks Nate can play to help him find a new club. The problem being the league has watched the tape. Nate is done in the NFL.

As for McDermott falling out of favour.... I don't believe that is the case. I think Beane and McDermott know they are tied at the hip and I think they know this offseason is critical to both their futures.

I don’t think Beane wants to be tired to him anymore.  What he wants is his own Head Coach every GM wants their own guy.  Even if McDermott brought him in; seeing how inept and terrible he is Beane would save his own neck or find work arounds to elevate himself above Sean.  

4 hours ago, Joeziehmer said:

In a draft class rich with offensive linemen you took one center?  In the first round when we need to bolster those positions and keep Allen safe?  Got weapons but without a line not going to be able to execute any way to get the ball to them.

Didn't you only take 1 offensive lineman in yours?   And took RBs in rounds 1 and 3?

4 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

This pissed me off. I'm hoping to see more passing plays from Allen that result in actual passes when suddenly Zay gets to throw? 

All of those issues you mentioned could be explained by bad execution by the players. If they execute you suddenly call those good coaching decisions.

For example the gimmick play. The Eagles just won a Superbowl using a very similar play. Everyone talked about how great of a coaching move that was.

And they probably were making adjustments, but if the players don't execute, how would you know? To the fans it just looks like they are still getting beat.

4 hours ago, Joeziehmer said:

I think the writing is on the wall here.  Brandon Beane is looking to save his own neck.  Right now he’s got more sway with Terry and Kim than McDermott has.  The Nate Peterman release after the McDermott confidence presser all but assured that.  After bringing in McDermott guys in Star and Murphy knowing that offensive line was the bigger need as we drafted Allen.

I don’t think Beane wants to be tired to him anymore.  What he wants is his own Head Coach every GM wants their own guy.  Even if McDermott brought him in; seeing how inept and terrible he is Beane would save his own neck or find work arounds to elevate himself above Sean.  

Excuse me, but you have no idea how Brandon Beane feels. Everything you are saying is an uneducated guess. Pure specualtion based on absolutely nothing.

• Haha (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, MJS said:

All of those issues you mentioned could be explained by bad execution by the players. If they execute you suddenly call those good coaching decisions.

For example the gimmick play. The Eagles just won a Superbowl using a very similar play. Everyone talked about how great of a coaching move that was.

And they probably were making adjustments, but if the players don't execute, how would you know? To the fans it just looks like they are still getting beat.

Excuse me, but you have no idea how Brandon Beane feels. Everything you are saying is an uneducated guess. Pure specualtion based on absolutely nothing.

Blame the players and never the Coach.  

It is incredibly frustrating. 

I didn't mind the gimmick play, sometimes they work, sometimes they don't. But the long FG with an injured kicker and the 2 runs on the second to last drive when Allen was pushing the ball really bothered me. He was playing for the FG, as he always does. This is not a coach that has the killer instinct to go for the throat. 

There is so much Jauron on him, it's scary. 

50 minutes ago, MJS said:

Players should have better executed blitzes that weren't called? Or maybe they should have ignored the coaches and kicked through the endzone every time rather than trying to execute the play as called? Or maybe Hauschka should have better executed a kick that he was physically incapable of making at that point?

The trick play, yea, if they'd executed it everyone would have been going wild. But this wasn't a Superbowl with a backup QB. This was a regular season game when you are trying to develop a rookie and have him a 3rd and 3 obvious dropback pass situation deep in the redzone. To not want to give your rookie a chance to go through that as a learning experience was a mistake. Even if they had executed the trick play and scored I'd have said it was the wrong play. It was just bad situational football.

As I say, I am usually all about execution. I think it is hard to pin that yesterday on execution. First and foremost that was on coaching.

Edited by GunnerBill

1 hour ago, MJS said:

It’s public relations and there’s a lot of dissension and disappointments from Beane not wanting to be known as tanking this season.  Along with being staked as keeping Nate Peterman around.  Denying it throws shade on McDermott and that’s what Beane has stated publicly.  

5 minutes ago, Joeziehmer said:

It’s public relations and there’s a lot of dissension and disappointments from Beane not wanting to be known as tanking this season.  Along with being staked as keeping Nate Peterman around.  Denying it throws shade on McDermott and that’s what Beane has stated publicly.  

do you get paid based on how many times you mention nate peterman?

• Haha (+1) 1

19 hours ago, BillsFan130 said:

It was a bad game by Mcd today. His whole coaching staff really. I hated the conservative approach by him and Frazier on defence 

They needed to bring way more pressure than they did and start hitting darnold.  He was like he was in his backyard throwing late in this game.

• Like (+1) 1