[Incomplete Title] As an admitted McDermott detractor

cgg716

13 minutes ago, WMDman said:

He made the playoffs last year with Tyrod as his QB, that alone has earned him my respect

Somehow tyrod sucks and we made the playoffs despite him. Then he gets rid of the horrible QB and we are a mess. Yet the coach gets a pass cause we made the playoffs last year. That’s not how it works. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, nedboy7 said:

Somehow tyrod sucks and we made the playoffs despite him. Then he gets rid of the horrible QB and we are a mess. Yet the coach gets a pass cause we made the playoffs last year. That’s not how it works. 

hah quite the conundrum, huh? haha but that seems to be the narrative

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, billsfan11 said:

It was a bad game by Mcd today. His whole coaching staff really. I hated the conservative approach by him and Frazier on defence 

they turn a good defense into a mediocre one every time the game is on the line

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, WMDman said:

He made the playoffs last year with Tyrod as his QB, that alone has earned him my respect

This is nonsense, they backed their way into the playoff's, they were pretty much the same team Rex fielded the previous years, this shows incredible ignorance IMO.

McClappity will be gone in a couple years, as will the QB to which he hitched his wagon.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Tcali said:

they turn a good defense into a mediocre one every time the game is on the line

I know. When is the last time they have made a huge stop at the end of the game to seal a win?

Miami last week they let them down. This week again. Houston game to a certain degree. 

Always seems like they play their worst football in the final few possessions 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, PeterDude said:

This is nonsense, they backed their way into the playoff's, they were pretty much the same team Rex fielded the previous years, this shows incredible ignorance IMO.

McClappity will be gone in a couple years, as will the QB to which he hitched his wagon.

So which is it? Were the Bills a playoff team that McD "dismantled," or were they a team that "backed" into the playoffs and didn't deserve it. I'm confused. 

22 minutes ago, cgg716 said:

A Question to his supporters.. yes I know he made the playoffs last year and many believe that should give him some leeway. I believe there is no doubt he gets another year, but a question for the supporters, is it the playoffs or do you geniuely believe he’s a good coach?

He played today like Jauron would have and that is not the first time. I don’t think we would find many who think his game desicions are solid. And even if you think that having a defensive first coach is workable, is his lauded defense, his supposed strength really that good. Remarkably easy TDS to questionable offenses, in winnable games the last two weeks and several blow outs on his record. It should be at least called into question 

You completely blew your premise with your first sentence as, he did, indeed, get us into the playoffs last year. He did it with smoke and mirrors and a total loser of a quarterback. He’s got his own learning curve to be sure, however, on the balance of it, he has been a good coach and I expect him to get better. I also believe they’re making some good personnel decisions.So many posters cannot seem to hold their wad whether it’s about the coach or Josh. Give it time everyone, give it some time!

1 minute ago, BillsEnthusiast said:

So which is it? Were the Bills a playoff team that McD "dismantled," or were they a team that "backed" into the playoffs and didn't deserve it. I'm confused. 

Ofc you're confused if you think McDermott is a good coach, you just need some more time I think. I mean, you will get it, at least 1.5 more seasons.

• Haha (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, cgg716 said:

A Question to his supporters.. yes I know he made the playoffs last year and many believe that should give him some leeway. I believe there is no doubt he gets another year, but a question for the supporters, is it the playoffs or do you geniuely believe he’s a good coach?

He played today like Jauron would have and that is not the first time. I don’t think we would find many who think his game desicions are solid. And even if you think that having a defensive first coach is workable, is his lauded defense, his supposed strength really that good. Remarkably easy TDS to questionable offenses, in winnable games the last two weeks and several blow outs on his record. It should be at least called into question 

Best pass defense in the league......

A franchise QB with hardly any NFL talent around them.....

Yes he gets a pass

8 minutes ago, nedboy7 said:

Ayuh for sure you got that right.  McDermott gets a continual pass for everything.  Now logically if McDermott expresses confidence in Nate Peterman during a presser and Beane cuts him; do you think that Beane isn’t already lining up a list of Coaches for evaluation?  This is a business just because McDermott brought in Beane; doesn’t mean that Beane isn’t worried about number one and losing his first gig. 

5 minutes ago, Mojo44 said:

You completely blew your premise with your first sentence as, he did, indeed, get us into the playoffs last year. He did it with smoke and mirrors and a total loser of a quarterback. He’s got his own learning curve to be sure, however, on the balance of it, he has been a good coach and I expect him to get better. I also believe they’re making some good personnel decisions.So many posters cannot seem to hold their wad whether it’s about the coach or Josh. Give it time everyone, give it some time!

Malarkey did that same thing last year... WON a road playoff game and then got fired immediately, because the Titans felt like they could do better at coach. I think based on what I’ve seen on game day we can too, and it’s vital we do with a young QB.. should we really wait and see if the switch flips?

And to expound on Tennessee a bit.. Vrabel is a young, forward thinking, aggressive coach. The Titans sought that mindset and who wouldn’t?

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, cgg716 said:

Kicking the bomb with Hauscka hurt instead of going for it, just not smart. Running it twice to kick the FG in the 4th, with no RBs and a hurt kicker, although he made it, extremely conservative and not playing to your strengths at the time. Then to have the D get beat by Darnold.. they played NOT to lose.. regardless of talent, that’s troublesome 

I do think he's a very good leader of players and I like his approach in looking for certain player personalities and attributes beyond the athletics.

But his in game coaching leaves a lot to be desired. This kick is classic. He's got a kicker who got smoked and was laying facedown and motionless at midfield at the half and who was shanked and shorted his last 44-yard warm up kick coming out of the half and who had to squib his first two kickoffs and he trots him out there for a 54 yarder in cold weather when the guy is probably as limber as a dead branch. This after last week, in a similar 4th down position, tried the much lower probability hail Mary instead of trying the 56 or so yarder with a healthy kicker in warm, windless south Florida. He's maddeningly bad at in game coaching and exhibits a lot of chicken-bleep attributes that will get him fired. 

Today he took the Lindy Ruff "We're up 1-0, let's hold on for 2 periods for the win" approach with conservative calls and letting Frazier, I assume at his direction or support, avoid blitzing a rookie QB just coming off an injury who left the first half for the locker room only to return clearly limping. 

He's frustratingly conservative.

• Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, PeterDude said:

Trading Watkins and Darby was "dismantling"? That's rich...

McD haters give two options: 

Either McD dismantled a "playoff" team (which he was responsible for), or he didn't deserve to go to the playoffs and we got lucky. 

Which is it for you?