[Incomplete Title] As an admitted McDermott detractor

cgg716

A Question to his supporters.. yes I know he made the playoffs last year and many believe that should give him some leeway. I believe there is no doubt he gets another year, but a question for the supporters, is it the playoffs or do you geniuely believe he’s a good coach?

He played today like Jauron would have and that is not the first time. I don’t think we would find many who think his game desicions are solid. And even if you think that having a defensive first coach is workable, is his lauded defense, his supposed strength really that good. Remarkably easy TDS to questionable offenses, in winnable games the last two weeks and several blow outs on his record. It should be at least called into question 

• Like (+1) 4

2 minutes ago, cgg716 said:

A Question to his supporters.. yes I know he made the playoffs last year and many believe that should give him some leeway. I believe there is no doubt he gets another year, but a question for the supporters, is it the playoffs or do you geniuely believe he’s a good coach?

He played today like Jauron would have and that is not the first time. I don’t think we would find many who think his game desicions are solid. And even if you think that having a defensive first coach is workable, is his lauded defense, his supposed strength really that good. Remarkably easy TDS to questionable offenses, in winnable games the last two weeks and several blow outs on his record. It should be at least called into question 

Yes I think he’s a good coach.  The talent level on the Bills was considered to be among the worst in the NFL.  

He lost today, largely because of special teams and because his OL and DL got owned today.  Also star CB Tre White was owned as well.  

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, cgg716 said:

His future with the Bills is not in question from ownership to reasonable fans.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

He’s not perfect but name a coach who is. IMO he’s done a very good job through a difficult rebuild. 

He will continue to improve. 

Im convinced that many fans subconsciously believe that they can coach or manage a team better than actual professionals because it’s not dependent on physical talent like players. 

i'm a McD fan , i just feel he has a great pulse on the team as a whole and gets the most out of his players. ST hurt us again big time. The D really didn't bother me until that final drive but ill take Tre White versus Anderson everyday of the week, not Tres best game

Kicking the bomb with Hauscka hurt instead of going for it, just not smart. Running it twice to kick the FG in the 4th, with no RBs and a hurt kicker, although he made it, extremely conservative and not playing to your strengths at the time. Then to have the D get beat by Darnold.. they played NOT to lose.. regardless of talent, that’s troublesome 

• Like (+1) 5

3 minutes ago, dubs said:

He’s not perfect but name a coach who is. IMO he’s done a very good job through a difficult rebuild. 

He will continue to improve. 

Im convinced that many fans subconsciously believe that they can coach or manage a team better than actual professionals because it’s not dependent on physical talent like players. 

And yet 1/3 of those professionals are fired from their coaching positions every year.  Wonder why that is?

I am a McDermott guy and I still support him.... but man the coaching sucked today. 

- the lack of pressure packages thrown at Darnold;

- trick plays at the wrong time (hated the Zay Jones pass on 3rd and 3 deep in the redzone and we over used the end around);

- the Special Teams planning and coaching was horrible;

- the decision to try a long FG with a hurt kicker was nonsensical. 

That to me is the worst coached Bills game since Sean got here. The Jets outcoached us today. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Today was an example of a team that had put itself in a position to win being let down by really bad coaching decisions on all sides of the ball.  Frazier is just a puppet for McD so when our defense started to sputter and break down, we needed McD to make some adjustments at half or on the fly in the 3rd and 4th. He did neither. The decision by McD for Hauschka to kick the long FG when he was obviously hurting was unforgivably stupid. Kickers are like soccer players, a small knock or Charlie horse hit or a smash to the lower back (like Hauschka got) really effects their accuracy and their execution.  Should have punted. Instead we gave them the ball (yet again) in great field position.

Edited by Livinginthepast
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, cgg716 said:

I am not happy with Coach McD today, usually I do not have this complaint but today I do.

I do not get the Jauron comments, he is nothing like Jauron,  but I think he  blew the 3rd an 5 call on the series when we kicked the go ahead FG.  I think that making the Jets use a timeout before the 2:00 warning was the better call.  Sure a run play would have probably fell short but that timeout was important.  Even worse was the decision to squib kick when we had the wind.  Even worse is the illegal formation on a kickoff. 

The Jets started in great field position and crossed the 50 before the 2:00 warning.  Terrible game management that McD is responsible for.   

Just now, Livinginthepast said:

Today was an example of a team that had put itself in a position to win being let down by really bad coaching decisions on all sides of the ball.  Frazier is just a puppet for McD so when our defense started to sputter and break down, we needed McD to make some adjustments at half on on the fly in the 3rd and 4th. He did neither. The decision by McD for Hauschka to kick the long FG when he was obviously hurting was unforgivably stupid. Kickers are like soccer players, a small knock or Charlie horse hit or a smash to the lower back (like Hauschka got) really effects their accuracy and their execution.  Should have punted. Instead we gave them the ball (yet again) in great field position.

Nobody says anything negative toward McDermott. Like watching a social media firm pump up positive public relations on a third party board.

12 minutes ago, WMDman said:

He made the playoffs last year with Tyrod as his QB, that alone has earned him my respect

then proceeded to trade said QB and now has this team sitting at 4-9. I guess your logic makes sense...

today's game was sad.

Edited by 87168
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

And I agree he will not be fired, but I think he is missing the killer instinct, plays very safe, which is against a league wide trend to the contrary. John Fox is jobless because of that, John Harbaugh could be, Marrone could be, in spite of going to the title game. I’d be more comfortable following that trend, though I know they will not

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, Perry Turtle said:

And yet 1/3 of those professionals are fired from their coaching positions every year.  Wonder why that is?

Was there a point you were making? Cuz dopey missed it.

Edited by Dopey