[Please Change Title] This is a loss I can deal with

WMDman

9 minutes ago, WMDman said:

Allen played well, sucks his line and receivers won’t help him out and it improves outlet draft position, the season has been over guys losing to the jets isn’t a big deal

I thought Allen stunk today and ive been a huge supporter. 2 picks, 1 fumble, some throws way off the mark, a few times receivers open down field and ran. Definitely not one of his better days. Yes, our o line stinks etc...

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Virgil said:

It wasn’t that he threw interceptions, it’s the decision to make those terrible throws in the first place 

He pressed too much on these throws - not surprising from a rookie. But I think we're putting too much on him. No #1 receiver (arguably no #2 although I like Foster), no starting TE, pass blocking, or any semblance of a run game. Special teams keeps putting us in bad positions and we suddenly can't kick field goals. Allen and Daboll are creating points out of thin air. It isn't going to be consistent until Allen has some kind of help.

• Like (+1) 3

3 minutes ago, Virgil said:

It wasn’t that he threw interceptions, it’s the decision to make those terrible throws in the first place 

Allen’s INTs are the least of my concern.  One of them was a Hail Mary at game end.  And as Romo said during the Vikes game, young QB have to make some dumb throws and learn from it - much better than over-analysis and being afraid to pull the trigger.

I dunno about Romo’s point “the coach should tell the QB, I want you to throw three ints today” but I understand the thinking process behind it.

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Great to be you, I guess, but I can’t agree.  I can cope with a couple interceptions, but the special teams play in this game blew total chunks and a couple of the calls or non-calls were awful.  So I have trouble living with this one.

That’s fair, the ST have been exceptionally bad since the Houston game 

2 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

Huh?

He failed to complete half his passes, threw for 206 yards, and turned the ball over 3 times.

His performance is a big part of why we lost.

Sure his runs are nice and his 101 rushing yards count just as much as other yards, but overall it was not winning QB play.

Sure it wasn’t stellar, but he hit some big time throws as put us in a position to win

1 minute ago, billsfan_34 said:

I thought Allen stunk today and ive been a huge supporter. 2 picks, 1 fumble, some throws way off the mark, a few times receivers open down field and ran. Definitely not one of his better days. Yes, our o line stinks etc...

It isn't just the o-line, it's everything. I don't know that we have a single player on offense that would start for any respectable offense right now. Maybe Dawkins but he hasn't been great. I'll take 307 total yards from Allen in between some rookie mistakes considering his supporting cast.

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

Can Allen properly be evaluated before he has a decent OL?

He gets no time and over the course of a game its got to wear him down...

Get three new starters on the OL in the offseason so at least they can see what he has..

I think you can. We've seen him get good protection and have guys open. He's just missing guys. If anything, he seems to play his best when the pocket breaks down. 

Upgrading the offensive line and receivers will make a difference in the number of explosive plays. We might even be able to get Josh's completion percentage up to 60% with a good team around him, but new lineman and receivers don't help you become more accurate. Allen needs to overcome those struggles if we're ever going to be good.  

Edited by VW82
  • Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Virgil said:

The 2nd wasnt a horrible decision, it was a horrible throw. CB has inside position, its an easy outside throw and he throws it right into the teeth of the coverage.

18 minutes ago, WMDman said:

Allen played well, sucks his line and receivers won’t help him out and it improves outlet draft position, the season has been over guys losing to the jets isn’t a big deal

Exactly. These games are for evaluation. Half these guys won't be here next year. Enjoy the show and start looking toward the draft.

Gotta give Darnold a hand. He got up off the mat and won the game.

More than okay with the way that Allen played, especially as a rookie QB.  The problems with the Oline, RB, TE, and WR positions are all well-known, and hopefully will be addressed in the off-season.

This loss, however, is not acceptable due to the way the defense played.  This is the second week in a row, the defense has given up the go-ahead TD in the 2nd half against beatable opponents.  Their play in the red zone all season has been terrible.  And unlike the offense, the team has invested heavily in the defense.

McDemott and Frazier have to prove that they are able to shut teams down late in the game, especially when those teams have rookie QBs.

As for the draft, this isn't the NBA or NHL.  Good players will be available throughout the first round.  I'd rather gain the confidence that the team is being coached by better-than-mediocre coaches than gain a couple of spots in the draft.

• Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

It isn't just the o-line, it's everything. I don't know that we have a single player on offense that would start for any respectable offense right now. Maybe Dawkins but he hasn't been great. I'll take 307 total yards from Allen in between some rookie mistakes considering his supporting cast.

On the surface I agree with this. But then I remember this is the exact same excuse eceryine gave Allen at Wyoming. Maybe its coincidence and notmnis fault at all, or maybe Allen’s style is just chaos ball. Even with a good OL will he still break the pocket when he doessnt need to because its a habit? Maybe...

9 minutes ago, billsfan_34 said:

This. He still made plays with his legs to sustain drives, and he threw a few really nice balls in the second half, but he was inaccurate way too often. This was a lot like last week, only with more turnovers. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Totally agree- our wide receivers would, at best, be depth on most other teams. The O line is terrible- a few times today (was at the game) I zeroed in on the line and they missed blocks completely and basically blocked air. Our RB’s are probably the worst in the NFL. Special teams- no discipline in lanes - a typical Crossman meltdown.

1 minute ago, VW82 said:

This. He still made plays with his legs to sustain drives, and he threw a few really nice balls in the second half, but he was inaccurate way too often. This was a lot like last week, only with more turnovers. 

He seemed rattled at times- hope he can get his accuracy fixed.

1 minute ago, MDH said:

On the surface I agree with this. But then I remember this is the exact same excuse eceryine gave Allen at Wyoming. Maybe its coincidence and notmnis fault at all, or maybe Allen’s style is just chaos ball. Even with a good OL will he still break the pocket when he doessnt need to because its a habit? Maybe...

I don't recall any plays today where he broke out of the pocket early. Our interior pass blocking was terrible. He had rushers in his face constantly. His pocket presence has improved since the beginning of the year. The game is still slowing down for him. I don't know about his Wyoming supporting cast but it's terrible here, I don't think you can deny that. A UDFA who didn't start in college is his most dependable teammate...

• Like (+1) 3