[Please Change Title] This is a loss I can deal with

WMDman

Just now, MDH said:

On the surface I agree with this. But then I remember this is the exact same excuse eceryine gave Allen at Wyoming. Maybe its coincidence and notmnis fault at all, or maybe Allen’s style is just chaos ball. Even with a good OL will he still break the pocket when he doessnt need to because its a habit? Maybe...

But isn't it true that he has had terrible supporting cast around him at both Wyoming and Buffalo?

Its only 6 weeks ago that the Bills offense was looking like historically bad...

There is no reason for them not to upgrade the O this offseason so I guess we are going to find out in the next year whether the problem lies with Allen or not...

23 minutes ago, WMDman said:

Allen played well, sucks his line and receivers won’t help him out and it improves outlet draft position, the season has been over guys losing to the jets isn’t a big deal

We don't have a solid week in and week out dangerous long ball threat...and we sure don't have a interior line that can protect Josh long enough to toss bombs more than once or twice a game.If he could only get some time in the pocket..he's be deadly.

5 minutes ago, VW82 said:

This. He still made plays with his legs to sustain drives, and he threw a few really nice balls in the second half, but he was inaccurate way too often. This was a lot like last week, only with more turnovers. 

He is a boom or bust QB on every play. He does miss a few too many passes, but the ones he hits are 10+ yards down the field more often than not. Maybe he runs too much but he's picking up chunks in the process. He is an unconventional QB. Still it's hard to argue with 23 points (and 2 missed FGs) and 300+ total yards, in an offense with no help and poor field position most of the day, for a rookie. It's hard to look at what happened in this game and say Allen should have done more to get the win. JMO

• Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, Aussie Joe said:

But isn't it true that he has had terrible supporting cast around him at both Wyoming and Buffalo?

Its only 6 weeks ago that the Bills offense was looking like historically bad...

There is no reason for them not to upgrade the O this offseason so I guess we are going to find out in the next year whether the problem lies with Allen or not...

Its absolutly true. But everyone is making thr assumption hes going to make a big leap with a better surounding cast. He might. But he also might just make a small jump because he is inaccurate, doesnt always throw a catchable ball and breaks the pocket needlessly. He also may never be able to read NFL defenses as quickly as he needs to.

They absolutley have to get him help and keep developing him. He might be the QB weve been waiting for but a few flashes in a few games doesnt convinve me one way or the other yet.

1 minute ago, HappyDays said:

He is a boom or bust QB on every play. He does miss a few too many passes, but the ones he hits are 10+ yards down the field more often than not. Maybe he runs too much but he's picking up chunks in the process. He is an unconventional QB. Still it's hard to argue with 23 points (and 2 missed FGs) and 300+ total yards, in an offense with no help and poor field position most of the day, for a rookie. It's hard to look at what happened in this game and say Allen should have done more to get the win. JMO

I see your point. He didn't get much help today. I'm critical because the things he isn't good at are things you need from your QB in order to be a good offense. He's bringing so much to table, but he's also taking things off. I keep hearing the accuracy will improve if we just put a team around him. I don't think it works like that. He's doing enough right now to be intriguing though. Very tantalizing player. 

1 minute ago, MDH said:

Its absolutly true. But everyone is making thr assumption hes going to make a big leap with a better surounding cast. He might. But he also might just make a small jump because he is inaccurate, doesnt always throw a catchable ball and breaks the pocket needlessly. He also may never be able to read NFL defenses as quickly as he needs to.

They absolutley have to get him help and keep developing him. He might be the QB weve been waiting for but a few flashes in a few games doesnt convinve me one way or the other yet.

I agree with you..

Its too early...

I have been saying the last few weeks that I don't see him as turning into a competent or average QB ranked in the 12-20 QB range.. ( although I would be happy with that for a few years..)

In my opinion he will be a bust or Top 5, and not in between..

And I agree that he needs to improve his short passing accuracy by some degree....

19 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Great to be you, I guess, but I can’t agree.  I can cope with a couple interceptions, but the special teams play in this game blew total chunks and a couple of the calls or non-calls were awful.  So I have trouble living with this one.

I think it's because the STs blew chunks this week and last week that I can handle the losses.  A coaching change should help fix that.  There were some cheap shots by the Jets that were not called,  particularly on Hauska, that impacted the kicking game.  Allen, though not perfect is improving.  We're now seeing some holes on the defense that need to be addressed.  Hopefully coaches as well as players are learning from these losses...plus we're improving our draft position.

• Like (+1) 1

Agreed 100%. These games are all about learning and development of our quarterback and I think there is a lot to be learned about this loss. He's a one man wrecking crew and his teammates need to step up. Sure he made some mistakes, two very bad throws, but again he can learn from those. I'm not a tanking guy, but I have no problem losing competitive games down the stretch, where we wind up with better draft position. 

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, Coach Tuesday said:

The coaching is highly concerning - I don’t understand how anyone could see that differently.

In fairness, that's because you've formed an opinion two years ago and are stuck on it.

The ST coaching's been dreadful. The D has been mostly good all year, and the O is improving.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, HOUSE said:

These two QBs will battle it out for 20 years.

So far Darnold 1

Allen 0

If Darnold has our Offense talent he would be zero to Allen. Bill's have one of the worst offense roster.. And lost close still to Darnold. With bad St. Lost Ivory and McCoy. Zaey Jones is a good 2 WR. No TES. No O-Line. Full of no good WR of roster. He is not Super man, He needs help.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Success said:

Allen’s mistakes seem to be the correctable kind.  I’m kind of glad he’s making them now.

I don’t really see a big problem with accuracy.  He just forces things too much 

Agree with this. Most of Allen’s throws are on target, including 90% of the drops. That’s maddening, and he needs some help from playmakers in the future. His mistakes are of the taking unnecessary risks variety, not bad throws. The Bills D was complicit today in making things far too comfortable for Darnold. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, jkeerie said:

I think it's because the STs blew chunks this week and last week that I can handle the losses.  A coaching change should help fix that.  There were some cheap shots by the Jets that were not called,  particularly on Hauska, that impacted the kicking game.  Allen, though not perfect is improving.  We're now seeing some holes on the defense that need to be addressed.  Hopefully coaches as well as players are learning from these losses...plus we're improving our draft position.

Yeah took a walk after the game and feel better.  I think it was the cheap shots the Jets players took during the game which made the loss harder to take then it should have for me