Week 14: Bills vs. Jets Postgame

3 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

In all seriousness he could have killed Darnold on that play. 

In a league where Defensive players are still hitting QBs and taking the penalty that goes with it, there was really no reason to not lay out Darnold and send a message to the NFL. 

Would have been the perfect response for all the angry Jets hits on Allen. They wanted blood. Edmunds just wanted to make a tackle.

Only angry one I saw yesterday was #97, chasing Jets down the tunnel after they smashed SH. 

1 minute ago, CommonCents said:

Would have been the perfect response for all the angry Jets hits on Allen. They wanted blood. Edmunds just wanted to make a tackle.

Only angry one I saw yesterday was #97, chasing Jets down the tunnel after they smashed SH. 

Fully agree. 

It was an opportunity to send a message and Edmunds too a hard pass. 

5 hours ago, row_33 said:

"He’s too big a target" seriously you think that's a concern after watching all year? even if he's out-running 4.5/4.6 speed LB's?  "and doesn’t protect himself while running." - Only on the TD run would I agree with you. All the other runs he got down/ slid/ avoided quite adeptly. Most of the bad shots that he takes are from the pocket or behind the LOS

My general take on this game: whereas the Miami game was a "good loss" (relatively speaking, of course), this one was a bad loss. The Bills outplayed Miami late and probably should have won the game; they improved over the course of the game and were dominating at the end. The Jets thoroughly outplayed the Bills late, especially at the QB position. Allen's final possession was one of his worst. With everything on the line and a decent amount of time, he made two awful throws. The first short-hopper may have been deliberate (who knows?) because the receiver was double covered, but that just begs the question of why he chose to throw it there in the first place. The INT was a really bad, inaccurate throw. He also had Zay Jones open for a TD but threw the ball out of bounds on their final FG possession. Overall, he had a decent game, but got worse as the game progressed.  

Edited by dave mcbride

I have not read through this thread.  My immediate postgame thoughts were as follows:

1 -- The fact Crossman is still a coach on this team is mind-boggling.  We can't even line up correctly, and both the return and coverage teams are awful.  Hauschka is the only positive on ST, period.

2 -- McD is a terrible game coach.  The decision to let a gimpy Hauschka attempt a 54-yard FG rather than going for 4th and 7 on the +37?  That was Marrone-like in its stupidity.

3(a) -- I'm not going to trash Allen for the turnovers.  He is, literally, a one-man show (see 3(b) below) and likely feels he has to do everything to get this team a W.  He almost did it.  He progressed again in this game -- how many big-time 3rd down throws did he make?

3(b) -- This may be the worst NFL OL I've ever seen.  Castillo needs to go as well.

4 -- Tre White got served up a big, heaping slice of humble pie yesterday.  It will be good for him in the long run as he was starting to believe the hype just a bit too much.

5 -- I like Sam Darnold and give him credit for a couple of big time throws in the 4th quarter.  The Allen/Darnold matchups should be fun for years to come.

I'm disgusted by how the Bills lost yesterday -- particularly McD's decisions and the horrid ST play -- but remain optimistic going forward if McD somehow learns from these mistakes.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

40 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

My general take on this game: whereas the Miami game was a "good loss" (relatively speaking, of course), this one was a bad loss. The Bills outplayed Miami late and probably should have won the game; they improved over the course of the game and were dominating at the end. The Jets thoroughly outplayed the Bills late, especially at the QB position. Allen's final possession was one of his worst. With everything on the line and a decent amount of time, he made two awful throws. The first short-hopper may have been deliberate (who knows?) because the receiver was double covered, but that just begs the question of why he chose to throw it there in the first place. The INT was a really bad, inaccurate throw. He also had Zay Jones open for a TD but threw the ball out of bounds on their final FG possession. Overall, he had a decent game, but got worse as the game progressed.  

I think it was from all the pounding he was taking from those Jets players determined to take his head off. His line was basically useless blocking them as it looked like every play was a jailbreak. Then his receivers were dropping passes or not making enough effort to get to them. Allen has been pretty beaten up the last few games as he has had to carry the entire offense.

The defense stunk at the end and didn't get one single hit on Darnold, the run game stunk, the O line stunk, the special teams really stunk and Allen looks like the only real bright spot on offense. 

Now that the dust has cleared I am most disappointed in the play of our defense in the 4th quarter as they blew two leads to a rookie QB.

I know they overcame a lot of bad field potion (horrendous kick-off coverage and special teams) but the game was on the line and we were home.   They gave up a long drive when the Jets tied it at 20. 

We had no sustained QB pressure which seemed to take the crowd out of it. 

I saw Jerry Hughes once, chasing Darnold from a long distance away on the his game tying TD pass.   No Hughes, so has the league neutered him after his last eruption? 

The few times we blitzed they picked it up.   Very disappointed they could hold the lead.

4 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

Don't agree with this.

Special Teams is the reason we lost this game, plain and simple.

If our Special Teams were even adequate, we win.

That, to me, makes this an acceptable loss because Special Teams is, I think, easier to fix and less important than Offense and Defense, which both looked pretty good.

Allen and Foster are still bright spots on this offense.  4 or 5 blatant drops in this game.  Allen was getting hit behind the LOS because of just pi$$ poor protection.  Allen's 1st interception was a throw he shouldn't have made, but you could say the same thing about Darnold in the game, who also made the same throw/int.  Allen's last interception might have been a bad throw, but 70 seconds, no timeouts and a long field to go NEEDING a TD really is not a decent amount of time.  He was trying to make a play.

This is going to be an offense-heavy offseason and I'm pretty excited about next season already because with Allen in his 2nd year in Dabol's system, things should really progress.  And I'm really starting to dig Dabol's creativity.

10 hours ago, row_33 said:

He’s too big a target and doesn’t protect himself while running.

It’s only a matter of time before he gets righteously clocked and put out of commission

Last week I warched the tape of Pat White getting his career all but ended on one of his runs 

Are you people watching these games?

Most of Allen's bad hits are behind the LOS because the OL sucks.  Now, some of them are because he's escaped initial pressure and then is chased down and hit a 2nd time, but still behind the LOS.

When Allen gets beyond the LOS and runs, he's been generally protecting himself pretty damn well, sliding and giving himself up diving to the ground.

And Pat friggin White?

Seriously?

Look, there's always a risk in Football, and if/when Allen gets seriously injured, I bet people will say "see!!!! I told you a running QB would never last!!!"  But QBs get hurt in the pocket or behind the LOS significantly more than running QBs beyond the LOS.  Jimmy G early this season is a good example of a QB running stupid.

But the other thing is Allen's pure physical stature, which is really going to protect him significantly when it comes to injury.

You can't compare Allen to QBs like Tyrod or Vick or Pat friggin White purely because his God-Given physical stature is going to end up protecting him significantly more than those other guys.

Allen is always going to be a "running QB" in the sense that he'll scramble a helluva lot more than pocket QBs like Brady, Rivers, Goff, Rosen, etc.  But we just want to see him continue to develop as a passer, too, which he's doing if you actually watch him. 

https://billswire.usatoday.com/2018/12/10/what-we-learned-from-the-buffalo-bills-loss-to-new-york-jets-week-14-josh-allen-tredavious-white-stephen-hauschka-jerry-hughes-lorenzo-alexander/3/

What we learned from the Bills loss to the Jets

Allen hasn’t broken giveaways yet

Allen can run no matter what

Tre’Davious White is human

Pass rush needs help

Crossman gotta go