Week 14: Bills vs. Jets Postgame

2 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

NFL Week 14 Grades

New York Jets 27-23 over Buffalo

Bills: B-

With the way Josh Allen is running, maybe the Bills should think about becoming an option team, because this throwing thing doesn't seem to working too well for their rookie quarterback. Although Allen had another huge game on the ground (nine carries, 101 yards, one touchdown), he threw two picks, including a crushing interception on Buffalo's final drive that killed any chances the Bills had of a comeback win.

Serious question 26CornerBlitz do you buy into this statement describing today's game?  To me it's a lazy review.  For sure this was not a good passing effort by Allen but he had way to many good throws today to warrant a comment that seems to be saying he can't throw the ball.  And to not throw in the abysmal pass protection and multiple drops in describing Allen's game is just plain wrong. 

Reading this little blurb would lead someone who didn't watch the game to place all the blame on Allen for the Bills losing.  And calling that last INT "devastating" is a bit over the top and seems like a comment a drama queen might make.

Look, I'm fine with fair criticism of Allen's play today.  And for me, given all the circumstances, that mainly revolves around his poor ball protection.  The 3 TO's were bad.  But you can't ignore the other factors involving the Bills RB, O-Line, TE and WR play that contributed to the loss.  Given the TOTAL effort by the offense today Allen played an okay game. 

Oh and as I post this, I just saw Goff throw his 3rd INT right after Turbisky threw his 3rd pick. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

Serious question 26CornerBlitz do you buy into this statement describing today's game?  To me it's a lazy review.  For sure this was not a good passing effort by Allen but he had way to many good throws today to warrant a comment that seems to be saying he can't throw the ball.  And to not throw in the abysmal pass protection and multiple drops in describing Allen's game is just plain wrong. 

Reading this little blurb would lead someone who didn't watch the game to place all the blame on Allen for the Bills losing.  And calling that last INT "devastating" is a bit over the top and seems like a comment a drama queen might make.

Look, I'm fine with fair criticism of Allen's play today.  And for me, given all the circumstances, that mainly revolves around his poor ball protection.  The 3 TO's were bad.  But you can't ignore the other factors involving the Bills RB, O-Line, TE and WR play that contributed to the loss.  Given the TOTAL effort by the offense today Allen played an okay game. 

Oh and as I post this, I just saw Goff throw his 3rd INT right after Turbisky threw his 3rd pick. 

It's an over-simplification because sometimes he makes a great throw while other instances he tries to do too much or makes an inaccurate throw.  It's to be expected given his inexperience and that supporting cast. 

• Like (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

It's an over-simplification because sometimes he makes a great throw while other instances he tries to do too much or makes an inaccurate throw.  It's to be expected given his inexperience and that supporting cast. 

He is showing a lot more confidence and leadership than could be expected at this stage

• Like (+1) 2

8 hours ago, RalphWilson'sNewWar said:

The Blueprint is out...it’s been out.

Force Allen to be a Quarterback and throw from the Pocket. He’s league worst for throwing on 3rd down and picking up the first down.

He needs to STOP RUNNING.

And work on his craft.

I hate QBs who run a lot. That's what I hated in Tyrod's game. Josh Allen better reduce this. And Allen is still not accurate.

3 hours ago, Buffalo Ballin said:

I hate QBs who run a lot. That's what I hated in Tyrod's game. Josh Allen better reduce this. And Allen is still not accurate.

He’s too big a target and doesn’t protect himself while running.

It’s only a matter of time before he gets righteously clocked and put out of commission

Last week I warched the tape of Pat White getting his career all but ended on one of his runs 

• Sad 1

7 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

You’re missing one factor - sometimes he throws a nice ball that hits a WR in the hands (or chest) and they can’t catch it.

I’m not sure how people harp on Allen’s accurately when he has several balls dropped every game.

I would think that with an O line that can block (even a little) and guys that can, you know, catch the ball, Allen will improve...

1 minute ago, Heitz said:

You’re missing one factor - sometimes he throws a nice ball that hits a WR in the hands (or chest) and they can’t catch it.

I’m not sure how people harp on Allen’s accurately when he has several balls dropped every game.

I would think that with an O line that can block (even a little) and guys that can, you know, catch the ball, Allen will improve...

Yes that happens as it did a few times with Zay Jones, but Allen has his share of inaccurate throws.  The great throws I mentioned include drops.  There's no need to rush to his defense every time he's critiqued as he has room for improvement. 

14 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Yes that happens as it did a few times with Zay Jones, but Allen has his share of inaccurate throws.  The great throws I mentioned include drops.  There's no need to rush to his defense every time he's critiqued as he has room for improvement. 

Yeah and I’m not saying he didn’t have some bad throws, or that he’s 100% accurate, but no QB is - nearly all of them throw some headscrachers.  And Josh needs some time to develop, quite obviously.

I just think that if our pass catchers could catch passes, his numbers would look better :beer:

Edited by Heitz
  • Like (+1) 1

Not much protection for the Bills QB as he was sacked 3x and hit 10x. Conversely the Jets QB was UNTOUCHED as he wasn't sacked or even hit all game. This might have been a byproduct of Jerry Hughes and the discipline on the ref. So the Bills pass rushers were being held and it wasn't being called. 

Aside from Allen the Bills didn't have much of a run game besides a few trick plays which is a rookie QBs best friend when its working well. Kinda like it did in that first Jets game when the bills rushed for 46 times for 212 yards, 2 TDs. This game Allen had more rushing yards then Ivory, Murphy, McCoy, McKenzie all combined. 

The Bills defense and special teams looked like they had no clue what they were doing half the time and yet these same units played so well against this very same team just a few games previous. Special teams coach Danny Crossman should be fired. O line coach/run game coordinator Juan Castillo should also be looking for new employment.

Now I have to question if McD will keep his job after this season.  4-9 with the #1 defense in yards. 

15 hours ago, Stank_Nasty said:

Have outgained our opponents 783-423 in the last 2 games and lost both. 

Let that marinate 

Usually when that happens its special teams or coaching. Last two games I thought it was both.

Our special teams are not very special and when we have a small lead we do the dreaded "run run pass" series like the game is already wrapped up.

Special teams coordinator should be gone and we need to learn to stay aggressive unless we are up by 30. In the new NFL a 10 point lead means nothing unless we are the two minute warning at the end of the game.

Bills Today: Tremaine Edmunds Makes NFL History with First Interception

ubz2sssamkyjuopnoiyw.jpg

Alexander: "We Have to Find a Way to Get Stops" (3:03)

Bills LB Lorenzo Alexander spoke to the media following the team's game against the Jets. Alexander discussed what it was like playing against Jets QB Sam Darnold for the first time and how the team needs to do a better job of limiting big plays.

Jones: "We Didn't Put Ourselves in the Best Position" (3:05)

Bills WR Zay Jones spoke to the media following the team's game against the Jets. Jones discusses some of the offensive struggles in the second half and how better attention to detail can help the team moving forward.

10 hours ago, jrober38 said:

A few thoughts on the game:

1. Allen is going to get killed one of these days. He runs around too much and takes way too many big hits. It's almost like defenders go out of their way to hit him when he's outside the pocket, and as a result he's drawing a crazy number of roughing the passer calls. He got banged up near the end of the first half and wasn't nearly as effective in the 2nd half. If he can't run around and make plays, he's pretty limited as a player. 

2. Zay Jones is not a #1 or #2 WR. He's a decent slot guy who can create separation against safeties, linebackers and most nickel corners, but he cannot separate on the outside against man to man coverage. Robert Foster is a better weapon on the outside, and I don't think it's close. 

3. The Bills OL is a train wreck. They got man handled all day and out. They need to overhaul this group in the offseason (duh). 

4. Shady is done. Father time appears to have caught up and McCoy can no longer be counted on as our bell cow running back given his salary. The Bills need to go in a different direction this offseason. 

5. Need more pressure. We face a rookie QB who hasn't played in weeks and we spent most of the game sitting in a Cover 2 shell without bringing any pressure. The Jets have nothing at WR. Stack the box, play Cover 1 with a single high safety and man coverage and send some pressures. Darnold had all day to throw and the lack of pressure around him allowed him to grow in confidence throughout the day. Big mistake defensively. 

6. Special teams are a train wreck. Need to find a punter and a couple core special teamers this offseason. 

7. Why did Edmunds not take Darnold's head off on the game tying score to make it 20-20? Darnold runs around and Edmunds has him lined up and instead of blasting the guy and sending a huge message to a division rival (probably would have been a flag and a fine but who cares) he ran past him. Need to send a message that we're going to hit opposing QBs when given the chance like the Jets did against Allen all day. 

That’s what Edmunds does, he did the same thing on the Jets back up running back.

I said it a few weeks ago, he doesn’t come down hill. He likes to use his arms to tackle and avoid contact. 

An inside backer needs a certain level of crazy, I’m not sure he has that. 

• Like (+1) 1

Where Buffalo's Offensive Efficiency Needs to Improve Plus 4 Observations from Week 14

kgpq9qysjkbolqn6xjwo.jpg

As exciting as Josh Allen’s rushing exploits have been, against a good defensive front like that of the Jets, Buffalo’s rookie quarterback was forced to flee the pocket prematurely on a number of pass plays Sunday.

New York’s pass rush compromised the timing of pass plays and often flushed Allen to the flanks where he had to make plays on the run.

Buffalo’s offensive line also had trouble establishing the line of scrimmage in the run game. On a day where Josh Allen was the team’s leading rusher for the third straight game (9 carries, 101 yards), his teammates in the backfield combined for 75 yards on 22 carries for an average of 3.4 per rush.

For head coach Sean McDermott it wasn’t good enough.

“We’ve got to be able to protect the quarterback and run the football,” he said. “We’ve got to be able to run the football with somebody other than our quarterback. We’ve got to take a hard look at that. It’s been an issue. I know when your quarterback is your leading rusher week in and week out, it’s not a healthy thing. So we’ve got to make sure we put him in position to make plays and they’ve got to make them.”

9 minutes ago, CommonCents said:

That’s what Edmunds does, he did the same thing on the Jets back up running back.

I said it a few weeks ago, he doesn’t come down hill. He likes to use his arms to tackle and avoid contact. 

An inside backer needs a certain level of crazy, I’m not sure he has that. 

In all seriousness he could have killed Darnold on that play. 

In a league where Defensive players are still hitting QBs and taking the penalty that goes with it, there was really no reason to not lay out Darnold and send a message to the NFL.