Week 14: Bills vs. Jets Postgame

2 hours ago, MPT said:

I don't know if I'd call it really bad. He had one that was just a perfect pass and catch against Anderson on the sideline and then a TD to Anderson where he had to cover him for over ten seconds.

Bad because of the timing and situation. 3rd and long and the team needed the stop and he did not get it done, beat by his man in the end zone after the Darnold scramble, gave up another long gainer I think in the 1st half. Just not a great day for our lock-down corner. He'll bounce back.

I think they missed Taron J. out there today, saw Bush singled up a few times - usually a couple steps behind the receiver.

This team is pretty banged up.

• Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, Ralonzo said:

Allen's best decision of the game was the hard-count Offside, where knowing he had the free play, he threw the ball way up high for a jump ball which resulted in a big defensive PI.

Very Rodgers like. 

6 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

....beginning to think Daboll's game plan is sand lot football with Josh as THE star of the show.......

What choice does he have, especially today? 

*  They were down to their 3rd string RB and after Shady there isn't a reliable pass catching RB on this team, something that is a staple on almost every other NFL team.  Throw in the issue with the back-up RB's recognizing and blocking the blitz and sandlot is all you got.

*  Does Buffalo have a single NFL caliber TE?  I was watching the halftime highlights today and I see Tampa Bay's TE make a great TD catch; ditto for Gronk and the KC TE.  I mean to try to run an NFL offense without a play making (or even reliable) TE is almost impossible.

*  Sandlot is the only option when it's a jail break to the QB the moment the ball is snapped.

I could go on but Is suspect folks get what I'm cooking here. 

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, CaptnCoke11 said:

That’s a no brainer decision.. Most competent QBs do that.  

Agreed that it’s a sign of competence then. 

15 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Don’t be so certain, Ryan. Many Bills fans like playing for the draft pick, at least many on this board. 

4 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

What choice does he have, especially today? 

*  They were down to their 3rd string RB and after Shady there isn't a reliable pass catching RB on this team, something that is a staple on almost every other NFL team.  Throw in the issue with the back-up RB's recognizing and blocking the blitz and sandlot is all you got.

Does Buffalo have a single NFL caliber TE?  I was watching the halftime highlights today and I see Tampa Bay's TE make a great TD catch; ditto for Gronk and the KC TE.  I mean to try to run an NFL offense without a play making (or even reliable) TE is almost impossible.

*  Sandlot is the only option when it's a jail break to the QB the moment the ball is snapped.

I could go on but Is suspect folks get what I'm cooking here. 

....this is Towbridge's second stint on PS........Croom is dinged and you know what Logan will NOT deliver....IR Taron (had season ending surgery) and bring up Towbridge as part of the youth experiment.....Daboll's two previous stops as OC BOTH l;asted one year......poor guy probably had the same "desperate situations" as he faces in Bflo....should never cross my mind to question the guy's talent or even think he could be a one trick pony............

4 hours ago, RalphWilson'sNewWar said:

The Blueprint is out...it’s been out.

Force Allen to be a Quarterback and throw from the Pocket. He’s league worst for throwing on 3rd down and picking up the first down.

He needs to STOP RUNNING.

And work on his craft.

9-12 on 3rd down today with I believe 6 conversions. I'd say that makes what you said inaccurate, at least for today.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Force Allen to be a Quarterback and throw from the Pocket. He’s league worst for throwing on 3rd down and picking up the first down.

And work on his craft.

Its sad that ive lost count of how many times hes thrown for a 1st and its been negated due to penalties. That counts for something, but wont show up in the box score. 

This offense has been totally Allen. What he achives is as far as they go. At a certain point, he becomes limited to whats around him. But the fact this team has been in position to win the last 4 weeks is impressive - considering. It is what it is dont get me wrong, but its hard to accurately judge the kid on his pocket passing when his line is a siv, so the running game suffers his AND WR dont make him plays.  He works with what he has. Hopefully things blossom more when he doesnt have to bolt and will have guys that will help and make plays for him. 

In the meantime, its just fun to watch the josh allen show and see what happens. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, gobills1212 said:

Its sad that ive lost count of how many times hes thrown for a 1st and its been negated due to penalties. That counts for something, but wont show up in the box score. 

This offense has been totally Allen. What he achives is as far as they go. At a certain point, he becomes limited to whats around him. But the fact this team has been in position to win the last 4 weeks is impressive - considering. It is what it is dont get me wrong, but its hard to accurately judge the kid on his pocket passing when his line is a siv, so the running game suffers his AND WR dont make him plays.  He works with what he has. Hopefully things blossom more when he doesnt have to bolt and will have guys that will help and make plays for him. 

In the meantime, its just fun to watch the josh allen show and see what happens. 

....Allen is carrying WAY too much of the load....hell, I'd bet with "Money" out, Josh takes over PAT's, FG's and kick offs...............

And work on his craft.

Hard to "Throw from the pocket" when the pocket is blown up into Allen's face on almost every play. Allen is making rookie mistakes but is getting better. Dropped passes and penalties are not helping either. 

1 hour ago, Joeziehmer said:

This seasons over and nothing to look forward to, now except the Habs, and twenty-four cups and counting.  Sabres fans good luck and happy holidays; Hanukah, Christmas, Ramadan, and Kwanza.  

You must be old to remember a Habs championship season

or at least one that wasn’t a total fluke

• Haha (+1) 1

A few thoughts on the game:

1. Allen is going to get killed one of these days. He runs around too much and takes way too many big hits. It's almost like defenders go out of their way to hit him when he's outside the pocket, and as a result he's drawing a crazy number of roughing the passer calls. He got banged up near the end of the first half and wasn't nearly as effective in the 2nd half. If he can't run around and make plays, he's pretty limited as a player. 

2. Zay Jones is not a #1 or #2 WR. He's a decent slot guy who can create separation against safeties, linebackers and most nickel corners, but he cannot separate on the outside against man to man coverage. Robert Foster is a better weapon on the outside, and I don't think it's close. 

3. The Bills OL is a train wreck. They got man handled all day and out. They need to overhaul this group in the offseason (duh). 

4. Shady is done. Father time appears to have caught up and McCoy can no longer be counted on as our bell cow running back given his salary. The Bills need to go in a different direction this offseason. 

5. Need more pressure. We face a rookie QB who hasn't played in weeks and we spent most of the game sitting in a Cover 2 shell without bringing any pressure. The Jets have nothing at WR. Stack the box, play Cover 1 with a single high safety and man coverage and send some pressures. Darnold had all day to throw and the lack of pressure around him allowed him to grow in confidence throughout the day. Big mistake defensively. 

6. Special teams are a train wreck. Need to find a punter and a couple core special teamers this offseason. 

7. Why did Edmunds not take Darnold's head off on the game tying score to make it 20-20? Darnold runs around and Edmunds has him lined up and instead of blasting the guy and sending a huge message to a division rival (probably would have been a flag and a fine but who cares) he ran past him. Need to send a message that we're going to hit opposing QBs when given the chance like the Jets did against Allen all day. 

NFL Week 14 Grades

New York Jets 27-23 over Buffalo

Jets: B

After missing more than a month due to injury, Jets quarterback Sam Darnoldreturned with a bang on Sunday. Well, first he shook off some rust, and then he returned with a bang. With the Jets trailing 23-20, Darnold led his team on an impressive 61-yard drive that ended with New York scoring the game-winning touchdown with just 1:17 left. On the drive, Darnold threw for 52 yards, which was impressive considering that he only threw for 118 yards on all of New York's other possessions combined. Of course, Darnold also got some major help from a Jets defense that sacked Josh Allen three times and forced three turnovers. 

Bills: B-

With the way Josh Allen is running, maybe the Bills should think about becoming an option team, because this throwing thing doesn't seem to working too well for their rookie quarterback. Although Allen had another huge game on the ground (nine carries, 101 yards, one touchdown), he threw two picks, including a crushing interception on Buffalo's final drive that killed any chances the Bills had of a comeback win.