Week 14: Bills vs. Jets Postgame

Just now, vincec said:

Sounds like their staff hasn't watched any Bills games.

Maybe, maybe not. It shows what they think of Darnold thus far for sure though. The Bills D also gets a bit too much credit for their ranking. Frazier gets far too conservative at times and this was one of them. Darnold has been turnover prone and they didn’t pressure him nearly enough. 

My take on today is we were giving guys reps to see where their progress is in regards to next year's plans.  The offense looked like it had more planning ahead of the game maybe to see how Allen would perform in certain situations.  The defense looked very vanilla and I had to wonder if by and large if we were going into tank mode without coming right out and saying it.  I always like to win and hopefully we can stick it to NE and Miami to close out the season.

19 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

He has actually made big plays doing that this year

It depends on whether he has the arm and if they are actually open

Talking about the pass that picked off before half

Was busy today, and only got to see the end of the game. Not sure if this has been addressed already in here, and I'm not saying the Bills lost because of the Refs (I don't really know because I didn't see the whole game), but on the Jets last TD there was an awful hold done by the Jets on Harrison Phillips (#99). It was as plain as day to see, as the Jet OL had his arm around Harrison's torso. AND, if not for that hold, he may have been able to get to the RB and stop him right there in the backfield.

The only way that's missed is: 1) Gross Incompetence, 2) Somebody's getting Paid Off, or 3) Personal Bias (by a Ref) against the Bills.

And crap like this is just another reason why I watch the NFL less and less.

It's been a while since a Bills loss ruined my dinner but this one did.  It's clear as day that there is so much work to be done to rebuild this team that it's almost frightening.  Some comments on the game:

*  The special teams were truly awful.  You know your kick coverage is bad when you have to resort to squib kicks.  That's what they do in High School.  Today's loss is entirely on the ST.  Think abut this series of plays.  Bills take a 14 - 3 lead and both the offense & defense are playing well.  Looks like a possible blowout.  ST surrenders a 51 yard KO return giving the Jets the ball in Bills territory.  D holds them to a FG but lead now 14 - 6.  Bills have a nice drive that ends in a FG and a 17 - 6 lead.  Jets return the next KO to the Bills 6 yard line.  A couple plays later it's 17 - 13.   The Bills momentum is blown and the Jets figure they can win this game.  All because the Bills can't cover a freaking KO.

*  After a strong start the Buffalo defense ended the game on a whimper.  Bottom line is that once the Bills went up 23 - 20 late in the 4th quarter the worst thing the BIlls D should have given up was a FG to send the game into OT.  This is not the first time this year that the Bills D has not been clutch when they needed to make a stop to win the game.  Sure the stats have this D near the top of the heap but stats can be misleading.  They are a good but not a great defense. 

*  And who was the defensive coaching genius who decided that you don't put pressure on a rookie QB?  For crying out loud the Bills did not register a single sack.  Even worse how many times did they even touch Darnold?  To watch the Jet's QB sit there in the pocket while our D-line was counting one Mississippi, two Mississippi.... was hard to take.

*  We really missed McCoy out there today.  Not only is he the ONLY RB who is any sort of a threat to catch the football and do damage out of the backfield we sorely missed his blitz pick-ups.  One of the reason the Jets blitzed the hell out of Allen (in addition to his being a rookie) was that they knew both Ivory & Murphy wouldn't be able to read the blitz and protect the QB.  And they were right.

*  The lack of any running game beyond Allen's scrambles was amazing to watch.  That we were down to our 3rd string RB in the 2nd half didn't help. 

*  The O line had their worst game of the season.  My goodness when a line can't run or pass block, you know you have problems. 

*  But the big picture is this - for the 2nd straight week the Bills lost to a division opponent by 4 points and had a chance to win the game late.  In a weird way this is not such a bad outcome because it improves our draft position and tells me that we are close to winning these types of games.  Had we lost today 27 - 3 then it really would have sucked.  This one hurts because we should have won the game.  But in the end we just improved our chances to make a great deal on draft day. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, RalphWilson'sNewWar said:

Is your blueprint to trade UP for a Quarterback and then trust him so little that on 3rd down you dial up a WR pass to the QB?

if so please submit your resume to all other 31 teams.

that sort of play calling is embarrassing.

Allen should be working on those plays and throwing and learning 

This is wrong on  a number of levels.  But the most obvious one is that late in the 1st half, at a critical moment in the game, with the Bills facing a 3rd & 15 at their own 5 yard line they trusted Allen to drop back into the end zone to try to convert the 3rd down.  And he rewarded their trust with a laser beam pass good for 20 yards and the 1st down. 

And for the record, Allen had a number of superb passes out of the pocket today. 

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

It's been a while since a Bills loss ruined my dinner but this one did.  It's clear as day that there is so much work to be done to rebuild this team that it's almost frightening.  Some comments on the game:

*  The special teams were truly awful.  You know your kick coverage is bad when you have to resort to squib kicks.  That's what they do in High School.  Today's loss is entirely on the ST.  Think abut this series of plays.  Bills take a 14 - 3 lead and both the offense & defense are playing well.  Looks like a possible blowout.  ST surrenders a 51 yard KO return giving the Jets the ball in Bills territory.  D holds them to a FG but lead now 14 - 6.  Bills have a nice drive that ends in a FG and a 17 - 6 lead.  Jets return the next KO to the Bills 6 yard line.  A couple plays later it's 17 - 13.   The Bills momentum is blown and the Jets figure they can win this game.  All because the Bills can't cover a freaking KO.

*  After a strong start the Buffalo defense ended the game on a whimper.  Bottom line is that once the Bills went up 23 - 20 late in the 4th quarter the worst thing the BIlls D should have given up was a FG to send the game into OT.  This is not the first time this year that the Bills D has not been clutch when they needed to make a stop to win the game.  Sure the stats have this D near the top of the heap but stats can be misleading.  They are a good but not a great defense. 

*  And who was the defensive coaching genius who decided that you don't put pressure on a rookie QB?  For crying out loud the Bills did not register a single sack.  Even worse how many times did they even touch Darnold?  To watch the Jet's QB sit there in the pocket while our D-line was counting one Mississippi, two Mississippi.... was hard to take.

*  We really missed McCoy out there today.  Not only is he the ONLY RB who is any sort of a threat to catch the football and do damage out of the backfield we sorely missed his blitz pick-ups.  One of the reason the Jets blitzed the hell out of Allen (in addition to his being a rookie) was that they knew both Ivory & Murphy wouldn't be able to read the blitz and protect the QB.  And they were right.

*  The lack of any running game beyond Allen's scrambles was amazing to watch.  That we were down to our 3rd string RB in the 2nd half didn't help. 

*  The O line had their worst game of the season.  My goodness when a line can't run or pass block, you know you have problems. 

*  But the big picture is this - for the 2nd straight week the Bills lost to a division opponent by 4 points and had a chance to win the game late.  In a weird way this is not such a bad outcome because it improves our draft position and tells me that we are close to winning these types of games.  Had we lost today 27 - 3 then it really would have sucked.  This one hurts because we should have won the game.  But in the end we just improved our chances to make a great deal on draft day. 

Meh losing because of special teams isn’t the worst thing. 

Allen made some great plays out there today. Hopefully we can continue to get him reps and then add some NFL talent in the offseason. We are not that far off, they will revamp the offence in the offseason and this team will be ready to roll.

• Like (+1) 1

Okay now I'll touch on the QB play today:

*  Overall I thought both Allen & Darnold looked good and showed me that these two are going to be going at it for a long time in the Division.  Sure both guys made rookie mistakes but they also both made some fantastic plays to.

*  Now some folks are going to quote the passer rating and say Darnold kicked Allen's butt.  But I say you have to look beyond the numbers to truly compare the two QB's passing performance.  At the risk of sounding like an apologist making excuses when you compare the QB's keep in mind the following:  Both QB had very bad INT's.  Classic rookie mistakes.  Allen had a 2nd INT at the end of the game but that was in desperation time.  Let's not forget that Darnold should have had TWO INT's as a Bills player had a clean break and simply dropped what should have been an easy INT.  Maybe even a pick 6.  Also consider the number of dropped passes Allen had compared to Darnold.  Factor in these two things and the two QB's had close to identical games.

*  Both QB's did a nice job at the end of the game to put their teams in a position to win.  And Jet's and Bills fans should be excited by this.  Allen led the Bills on a 65 yard drive just missing a TD pass to put the Bills up 23 - 20 with a FG with 2 minutes left.  Darnold then one upped him with a game winning TD drive.  In each of the drives both QB's had huge throws with Allan's being that beautiful back shoulder pass to Foster and Darnold with that great deep throw to move the ball to the 5 yard line.  It's fair to say that both QB's were clutch when the game was on the line.

*  Allen also had a nice end of the half drive to put the Bills in position to end the half with a FG.  He threw a couple of rockets to covert 3rd & longs on the drive.  Putting you team in position to score at the end of the half is clutch QBing. 

*  Allen had 101 yards rushing including a TD.  He also had a bad fumble but the Jets only got a FG out of it.  The truth is Allen took a much nastier beating in the pocket then he took running the football.  The # of hits Allen took compared to Darnold was noticeable.  And those hits WERE NOT the result of Allen holding onto the ball to long.  The Jet's pass rush was getting to him very fast. 

*  Bottom line is both the Jets & Bills should be happy that they probably have their franchise QB's for the next 10 years. 

• Like (+1) 2

Refocused, NFL Week 14: New York Jets 27, Buffalo Bills 23 | NFL Analysis | Pro Football Focus

Screen-Shot-2018-12-09-at-4.24.59-PM-768

FINAL SCORE

New York Jets 27, Buffalo Bills 23

Josh Allen had yet another strong game rushing the football, busting out for long gains on multiple occasions with the Jets’ defense providing few answers as to how to stop him. Throwing the ball, though, was a bit of a different story. Allen wasn’t aided much by his receivers – who dropped a handful of catchable balls during the afternoon – but he made too many poor decisions that resulted in turnover-worthy plays.

With the exception of Allen, the Bills couldn’t get anything going on the ground against the Jets. LeSean McCoy was forced out of the game early, and the combination of Chris IvoryMarcus Murphy and Isaiah McKenzie – with the exception of McKenzie’s touchdown run – spent the rest of the day meeting Jets defenders at the line of scrimmage.

Tre’Davious White has been one of the best corners in the league this year, but this was not one of his better games. He struggled to stay with the speedy Anderson and gave up a number of big plays throughout the game while also adding a defensive holding penalty.

Linebacker Matt Milano had a strong game until an injury on the final drive saw him carted off the field. He made a number of run stops, using good instincts to avoid and defeat blockers.

Keys to the Game

New York
Darnold put it together when it mattered most, posting two big-time throws in the fourth quarter to spur the comeback.

Buffalo
Allen did enough with his legs to give Buffalo a chance to win at the end, but his inconsistency as a passer ultimately left the Bills short in pursuit of the win.