Week 14: Bills vs. Jets Postgame

3 minutes ago, Nihilarian said:

No, but McCoy was healthy and rushed for 113 yards and 2 TDs. The Bills got the lead in that first Jets game and never looked back. They ran the ball 46 times for 212 yards which was 2x the amount Barkley threw it. 

Barkley didn't do anything that special to win that game as the Bills defense did their jobs and held the Jets to 10 points, the Bills special teams did their jobs and didn't allow long kick off returns for easy scores. This weeks game should have been out of hand early by Buffalo but poor play by the Bills special teams let them back in the game. 

its what he didnt do that was half the battle though

3 minutes ago, Teddy KGB said:

Jets OL Stoned the front 4 all day 

I think Josh Allen was the best player on the team today. He wasn't great or anything but I'm not sure who else I'd go with, no one was making plays happen besides him. We lost by 4 and missed 2 FGs... despite everything that happened with drops and poor special teams and no run game we should have won. I'm not expecting him to pull out miracles all on his own at this point.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 3

12 minutes ago, WideNine said:

Lost in the mayhem of disappointment was the fact that White had a really bad day in coverage. That is uncharacteristic, but happens to the best of them.

I don't know if I'd call it really bad. He had one that was just a perfect pass and catch against Anderson on the sideline and then a TD to Anderson where he had to cover him for over ten seconds.

10 minutes ago, MPT said:

I don't know if I'd call it really bad. He had one that was just a perfect pass and catch against Anderson on the sideline and then a TD to Anderson where he had to cover him for over ten seconds.

Yeah, White actually had pretty good position. The throws were right where they needed to be , mostly because Frazier was scared of his own shadow vs the turnover prone rookie Darnold. 

24 minutes ago, RaoulDuke79 said:

Yep........lets just keep the revolving door of coaches turning full speed. Get an new one every few years. It has proven to be a very successful strategy over the past few decades.

Until they hire a good one, yes.

27 minutes ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

Because our front office valued d over o look where the free agent money has been spent 

With all the attention that the D got, the unit should be better than it is.  Star has been kind of 'meh' and Trent Murphy doesn't contain his lane.  It also doesn't help that Leslie Frazier is running a scheme from 25 years ago where there is little pass rush, stunting, or blitzing.  A weak pass rush puts too much pressure on the DBs, though overall we have a good DB squad.

15 minutes ago, Nihilarian said:

Barkley didn't do anything that special to win that game...

That said, Barkley DID hit some key passes EARLY that gave the running game some room, especially that first bomb to Foster.  Maybe not special by NFL standards, but special by the standards I've come to expect from watching our team play.

I'm not an Allen detractor at all... I want the kid to be good and I have my fingers and toes crossed.  I've seen some good things and I've seen some bad things.  I love the way he plays... he has heart and a strong competitive desire (not to be underestimated).  He's tough, has a cannon for an arm, and he can very much extend or break plays with his speed and size.

We definitely need to get Allen PLENTY of help on that side of the ball to improve his development and SOON.  That development is hard to pursue when his receivers are not even close to sure-handed and he's scrambling behind a rotating cast of sub-par linemen.  I don't want him picking up bad habits or "learning how to lose" while we search for the rest of the parts we need on offense. 

Still, hope for the future.

I hope this doesn't turn out to be the case but Allen reminds me a lot of Jeff George only with better wheels. That guy had a gun for an arm but was totally erratic in his play-having one great game them several so-so games and then a couple of awful games..maybe by mid season next year he'll end up a bit more consistent. Right now though Mayfield and Darnold look like the real deal and the two Joshs are mostly question marks