Anyone remember the NFL Rocks films of the 90's

Awesome stuff, brother.  Thank you for this, downunderbill.  I actually do not remember this at all, which is surprising (sort of).  I graduated high school in 1992 so you'd think I would have seen this a few dozen times.  Those were pretty hazy days for me so it's actually no wonder I was unaware of something like this.  I was unaware of a lot back then.

This is really great stuff though.  I feel a little bit older now after seeing this old footage, but still very cool stuff. 

And why is it that footage from those days looks so damn old and dated now?  It's like looking at old film photos from the 70's. 

Edited by Generic Screen Name 2
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Generic Screen Name 2 said:

Awesome stuff, brother.  Thank you for this, downunderbill.  I actually do not remember this at all, which is surprising (sort of).  I graduated high school in 1992 so you'd think I would have seen this a few dozen times.  Those were pretty hazy days for me so it's actually no wonder I was unaware of something like this.  I was unaware of a lot back then.

This is really great stuff though.  I feel a little bit older now after seeing this old footage, but still very cool stuff. 

And why is it that footage from those days looks so damn old and dated now?  It's like looking at old film photos from the 70's. 

That's the power of the VCR?

Enjoyed Darryl Talley right at the beginning of the first one. "It's gonna get hectic out there."

And then the montage of quarterbacks getting FREAKING KILLED.  LOL!

It is a different game now!  Back then getting a kill shot in on a QB now and again was just  "a part of the game".

Now it's been legislated out of the game.  

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

Enjoyed Darryl Talley right at the beginning of the first one. "It's gonna get hectic out there."

And then the montage of quarterbacks getting FREAKING KILLED.  LOL!

It is a different game now!  Back then getting a kill shot in on a QB now and again was just  "a part of the game".

Now it's been legislated out of the game.  

Those quarterbacks took as more damage in a few games as Brady has had for his entire career, no wonder the SOB can play at 41

48 minutes ago, BillsPride12 said:

The NFL was a million times more fun in the 90's :cry:

Bittersweet feelings...sucks that era is long gone but forever grateful I grew up then and got to experience it.

Sports were best when you were 11

Thank goodness that was 1977-78 for me, those were all time great champions

Edited by row_33

11 minutes ago, row_33 said:

I think there is a lot to what you say, but that is not the whole of it.

The game has really changed.  Some probably prefer it now, some probably don't.

What I miss is the pre-free agency, pre-salary cap era.  In those days, a really well run organization could build a killer team.  It made for a lot of mismatches and lousy games with easy wins.

But then you got the special games with one killer team against another.  And those were some epic battles that don't seem to exist anymore.

Edited by Nextmanup

23 minutes ago, row_33 said:

This thread and this highlighted comment brought a tear to my eye. No joke. The Bills happened to be in the middle of their Super Bowl years when I was that age.

1 hour ago, BillsPride12 said:

The NFL was a million times more fun in the 90's :cry:

Bittersweet feelings...sucks that era is long gone but forever grateful I grew up then and got to experience it.

You should have seen the 70’s and prior! ? 

14 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

Anyone recall the segment titled "Jacked Up", highlights of players getting slammed &  concussed, half the times they were QBs. I think Boomer was an emcee...now instead of glorifying hits like that same announcers solemnly and self-righteously say how terrible they are.

This segment was highlighted in the Will Smith movie, ‘Concussion’. Really atrocious, in my opinion, but it was the game was played then and prior.