NFL fines Jerry Hughes "unsportsmanlike conduct"

WideNine

9 minutes ago, JerseyBills said:

i dont blame him. the film shows him getting held on multiple plays...The guys is playing absolutely lights out, he's the most underrated DE in the game imo. He is very good against the run and an elite pass rusher, imo at least... I feel he doesn't get shown the same respect as other elite pass rushers by the refs, i don't blame him for being upset, he truly cares about this team and teammates and wants that W. Glad Hughes is a Bill

That's the thing.  His name is JJ Watt and it's not a penalty.  You play for the bills and don't count on it.

3 minutes ago, Dopey said:

Hopefully there is more attention to the holding calls against him that are not being called.

I'm banking on an "excessive celebration" if he gets a sack

Edited by The Wiz

Just now, The Wiz said:

That's the thing.  His name is JJ Watt and it's a penalty.  You play for the bills and don't count on it.

Oh absolutely, among a handful of other guys.. I don't expect a penalty every time either but on crucial plays where there's a good chance Hughes would have made a difference and didn't because of a hold, ya gotta throw a flag. I know he got raped on the 2nd or 3rd TD throw . Overall i was very very disappointed with the officiating last week.

• Like (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

That's the thing.  His name is JJ Watt and it's not a penalty.  You play for the bills and don't count on it.

I'm banking on an "excessive celebration" if he gets a sack

That could consist of a facial expression. My son got called for a T when he rolled his eyes in HS basketball. 

53K.  What crap.  Same ***** who gave Gronk only 1 game for trying to paralyze Tre' White.  Same ***** who Gave Jerry a UC for patting his own teammate on the helmet.  ***** the NFL and their uneven discipline.  I agree with other posters upthread.  Jerry will be a target tomorrow, hope he keeps his cool.

Edited by Freddie's Dead
  • Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Bills2ref said:

Unfortunately I agree. Also, he will not get any holding calls against the offensive lineman blocking him. He’s completely in the right going after the refs, he gets held on most plays, a lot of them are super obvious. 

Pegula should use some of that money to send a message to the officials.  Maybe a horsehead in their bed or something.

• Haha (+1) 1

I actually think the refs are more likely to go overboard in favor of Hughes today.  It wouldn't be a good look for them to appear to be targeting him after this nonsense.  And clearly the ref did something wrong or he wouldn't have been placed on leave.

If I'm Hughes I go out during warmups today and shake every official's hand, and make it clear I'm not holding grudges.

Edited by eball

$53k is a token slap on the wrist. They can't let players confront officials like that, but they also know he was right. Jerry got a trivial fine and the official got suspended - it's obvious where the league stands on this.

• Like (+1) 1

I actually feel there is no defense of Hughes for his behavior after last week's game. I don't care if someone called you a naughty name. Chasing an official, or any humanbeing, screaming and threatening irrationally, is inexcusable. Typical, entitled and arrogant athlete. Jerry is a great, hardworking player. I love what he brings to the Bills. But, he really needs to grow the hell up.

12 hours ago, DC Tom said:

Reasonable.  They had to do something, given the public video, and that was pretty much the bare minimum.  

Agreed DC.

The NFL can’t tolerate players threatening the refs, but even though this ref probably said what is reported, Hughes had to get a fine.

Inter3sting how the ref was fined and suspended.  Tells me there is some truth to the story of the ref initiating things.  Hughes has to someday before he retires to cool his Jets.

12 hours ago, JerseyBills said:

i dont blame him. the film shows him getting held on multiple plays...The guys is playing absolutely lights out, he's the most underrated DE in the game imo. He is very good against the run and an elite pass rusher, imo at least... I feel he doesn't get shown the same respect as other elite pass rushers by the refs, i don't blame him for being upset, he truly cares about this team and teammates and wants that W. Glad Hughes is a Bill

This is true but the way to get off their radar is to shut up and let his play be his voice. Until that happens, they will continue to punish him, right or wrong. 

2 hours ago, WhoTom said:

$53k is a token slap on the wrist. They can't let players confront officials like that, but they also know he was right. Jerry got a trivial fine and the official got suspended - it's obvious where the league stands on this.

And I agree. As for those mentioning Gronk on others, yeah they got off way too light. Doesn't mean Hughes can go and threaten officials, all caught o camera no less. The league let him off easy as the targeted ref is not exactly behaving as he should.

We all agree he's getting shafted and it's a shame. I understand refs are humans and him getting "near-calls" not going his way, but he is held so much it goes way beyond normal payback straight into blatant bad officiating. Refs can't be THAT petty and get away with it! They should be held accountable way more.

I still recall Hughes getting a 15 yard unsportmanslike penalty for "roughing" up... another Bills player in celebration.