NFL fines Jerry Hughes "unsportsmanlike conduct"

WideNine

He’s made some mistakes on the field with his unsportsmanlike conduct but I’ll take that over Sammy and Dareus everyday of the week.  He’s ultra competitive and knows that the refs do him wrong.  I wonder how many holding calls have been called on his opposing blocker over the years compared to the amount of times he’s actually been held.  My guess is 20 holds to 1 penalty 

• Like (+1) 3

28 minutes ago, NewEra said:

He’s made some mistakes on the field with his unsportsmanlike conduct but I’ll take that over Sammy and Dareus everyday of the week.  He’s ultra competitive and knows that the refs do him wrong.  I wonder how many holding calls have been called on his opposing blocker over the years compared to the amount of times he’s actually been held.  My guess is 20 holds to 1 penalty 

Seemed like a face-saving thing for the NFL, as the video went viral and all that. The fine was kind of a slap on the wrist all things considered. I thought they would most likely suspend him.

No matter how upset Jerry gets there is a right way, and the way that gets you fined - so it is what it is.

1 hour ago, NewEra said:

What’s the normal ratio on that?

13 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

Shaq gets 33k for throwing a punch and Hughes gets 53k for this?  I'm guessing Hughes history makes the fine higher than a first time offender.

Could be. 

Player vs ref is a much riskier situation both for potential injury as well as integrity of the game though so it tends to come with really escalated punishment 

28 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

Could be. 

Player vs ref is a much riskier situation both for potential injury as well as integrity of the game though so it tends to come with really escalated punishment 

Well the NFL missed on both parts with this if you ask me.  No one was going to get injured and the integrity of the game was already diminished. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, The Wiz said:

My guess is he gets flagged for at least 3 call tomorrow.  Legit or not.

Unfortunately I agree. Also, he will not get any holding calls against the offensive lineman blocking him. He’s completely in the right going after the refs, he gets held on most plays, a lot of them are super obvious. 

6 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

Well the NFL missed on both parts with this if you ask me.  No one was going to get injured and the integrity of the game was already diminished. 

It’s a “don’t even crack the door on allowing confrontations with refs” situation. You may not like the ref here but players can’t think that’s remotely ok either is all

i dont blame him. the film shows him getting held on multiple plays...The guys is playing absolutely lights out, he's the most underrated DE in the game imo. He is very good against the run and an elite pass rusher, imo at least... I feel he doesn't get shown the same respect as other elite pass rushers by the refs, i don't blame him for being upset, he truly cares about this team and teammates and wants that W. Glad Hughes is a Bill

• Like (+1) 4

13 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

It’s a “don’t even crack the door on allowing confrontations with refs” situation. You may not like the ref here but players can’t think that’s remotely ok either is all

I get that.  Players are going to react either way.  They make enough to pay for it.  The problem being that the NFLRA is covering for these guys to make them look like the victims is my issue.

Call someone a name then wait for you "attorney" to handle it for you.

The fact they point out Hughes history with officials shows that they knew that needed to throw mud on his comments early.

Edited by The Wiz