Build this Oline via free agency. Save our pks in draft for skill positions.

I think the point is, and that you rightly make: If there is a way we can improve the Oline with proven veterans, that is a better option than drafting them for many reasons.

• One, they have done it! Less risk.
  • Two, related to one, any drafty is a risk, no matter where they were picked--the NFL is ripe with examples of high draft picks at every position who turned out to no be worthy of their draft status.
  • Three, it allows you to go after other needs in the draft--and this could also be vise-versa, signing skill players and drafting lineman.
  • Four, lineman generally take longer to develop, so the impact of drafting them takes time, it takes patience, do the Bills and their fans have the patience?
  • Five, related to item four above, the one person who suffered the most for that online development time is the QB who is taking all the hits--can the Bills afford to pay that price with the new shiny toy at QB?

Thus, I like the idea, but we know getting them is not as simple as wanting them. Nonetheless, if it could happen, I think it is the best way to build the Oline; that is, mixing skilled and proven veteran signings with your own draftees who are developing.

• Like (+1) 1

The Bills attempted to build the O line through free agency in the past and all they managed to do is upset some of the current players by overpaying for those FA's. Half the time a team signs a big name player to a high dollar contract they sometimes mail it in after getting all that money. 

It makes more sense to build through the draft and develop younger players who are still very hungry. McD found Dawkins, Teller so I have hopes they can fill out the rest of the line with better players.

My real hope is to have the Bills upgrade the line coach with someone better then Juan Castillo! 

1 hour ago, SoTier said:

Because the LTs the Bills currently have suck, and it's not uncommon for poor OTs to play significantly better at OG.  LT is a position that generally requires an OLer who is quick/nimble/agile for a big man.  Usually good LTs are rangier than other OLers.  Dawkins apparently lacks the quickness/agility required to be a good LT, but has the strength which might enable him to become a good LG.  

Of course, the Bills are in this situation because they were in such a hurry to shed Cordy Glenn's contract that they traded him away simply because Dawkins played decently as a rookie LT.

The Bills sign bottom feeder FA OLers who have few real options.  They were one of the few if not the only team willing to take a chance on Incognito after his suspension, for example.  The last/only time they paid top dollar for a FA OLer was back in 2007 or 2008 when they signed Derrick Dockery at LG. The Bills have twice traded away good young LTs that they've developed rather than pay them market value: Jason Peters in 2009 and Cordy Glenn in 2018.

Since the Bills don't value OLers, I doubt they're real players for the top FA OLers.  That's a pipe dream.

Dawkins does not suck at LT.

Edited by Royale with Cheese

14 hours ago, TigerJ said:

I'm happy with Barkley as my backup QB.  If he's willing to re-sign, I'd do it.  I want the Bills to obtain a little insurance at CB and strong outside linebacker, and maybe get a couple more defensive linemen.  We can focus on offense other than that.  I expect there will be some quality free agent offensive linemen available in addition to those cited by the OP, and Buffalo is in a good position to be competitive.  Money wise, theyll have a lot of cap room, and I think they can sell Josh Allen as an up and comer who is going to be a winner in the league for a long time.   Draft BPA with need being your tiebreaker for players who are similarly rated.  

...pretty sure he would be....NOT being sarcastic, but I don't see clubs lining up for his services......similar career stats to McCarron, although I think McCarron's deal was crafted possibly as a starter ubntil Josh was ready......so perhaps McBeane offers him something "in the vicinity" of McCarron's deal, or perhaps less but with incentives....and good Lord OP, just say NO to Fitzmagic.....THAT ship is officially the SS Minnow...........

MCCARRON DEAL:

A.J. McCarron signed a 2 year, $10,000,000 contract with the Buffalo Bills, including a $4,000,000 signing bonus, $7,900,000 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $5,000,000. In 2018, McCarron will earn a base salary of $900,000, while carrying a cap hit of $900,000 and a dead cap value of $900,000.

BARKLEY'S CAREER STATS:

Season Team   Passing Rushing Fumbles
  G GS Comp Att Pct Yds Avg TD Int Sck SckY Rate Att Yds Avg TD FUM Lost
2018 Buffalo Bills 1 1 15 25 60.0 232 9.3 2 0 1 8 117.4 3 -2 -0.7 0 -- --

2017 Arizona Cardinals 0 0 -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- 0.0 -- -- -- -- -- --

2016 Chicago Bears 7 6 129 216 59.7 1,611 7.5 8 14 6 43 68.3 7 2 0.3 0 4 2

2015 Arizona Cardinals 0 0 -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- 0.0 -- -- -- -- -- --

2014 Philadelphia Eagles 1 0 0 1 0.0 0 0.0 0 0 0 0 39.6 3 0 0.0 0 -- --

2013 Philadelphia Eagles 3 0 30 49 61.2 300 6.1 0 4 3 24 44.6 2 -2 -1.0 0 3 1

TOTAL 174 291 59.8 2,143 7.4 10 18 10 75 68.3 15 -2 -0.1 0 7 3
Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy

Dawkins isn't moving to Guard... Not happening. He is still a young player and having to switch position will hinder his growth. He may switch to RT but I doubt it. And I think Ju'waun James will be a more realistic aquistion. Be able to steal a solid linemen from a division rival would be huge. Helps fill a need of ours and open up a hole for them. Plus it will be cheaper on us and we would be able to add more in free agency.

I agree that the free agent priorities should be on the O-line....  I dont know who is available but if they could sign 2 good to very good guys to get started they would be a a much better position.    I dont think they need to over pay for 4 guys, but overpaying a bit for 2 would be ok by me.  

They will have a good amount of resources between the draft and money available so by making smart moves they could have a talented roster.