How Beane can turn the Bills into contenders in 2019

Buffalo03

https://www.newyorkupstate.com/expo/sports/erry-2018/12/501b72522bc54/being-beane-turning-bills-into.html

This article explains what Beane can do with $90 million in cap space and the steps he can take in the 2019 offseason through free agency, trades and the draft. I agree with this article but there are two changes I would make:

The article talks about trading for AJ Green by giving up a 3rd and 4th round pick which I wouldn't mind but personally I would go hard after Julio. The Falcons are 4-8 so Julio being there isn't helping them any. He held out for a new contract in training camp this year and I think he possibly does the same next year. Considering the Falcons cap situation and the fact that their defense is extremely bad, I could see them wanting to acquire draft picks to build that defense up in a defensive heavy draft. Also, the Falcons drafted Calvin Ridley last year and could possibly be Julio's replacement for a far cheaper price to them. Although Julio is gonna be 30 starting next season. He is a year younger than Green and should still have a few years left of quality football

The other move I would make that is different from the article is:

The article talks about signing Jared Cook at tight end if we end up releasing Clay which I think we do. Jared Cook is going to be 32 at the beginning of next season but has been inconsistent also throughout his career. I would sign Tyler Eifert in free agency. Eifert is younger than cook but has had problems with injuries in his career. Because of his injury issues, I would sign Eifert to a simple one year deal and see if he can stay healthy throughout the season. If he is able to prove that he is durable and can make plays for this offense like he does for the Bengals when he actually plays then we can resign him to a longer contract. Eifert is also only 28 which is four years younger than Cook and could possibly be more of a longer term option if everything works out. 

The article also talks about signing Matt Paradis at center from the Broncos which I also agree with and drafting Ed Oliver in the 1st round to replace Kyle Williams whether he retires after the season or not and drafting Anthony Johnson in the 2nd round no matter what we do at receiver. 

It's a good read and gets you excited for the offseason and thinking about what next season could bring

Edited by Buffalo03
  • Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Buffalo03 said:

https://www.newyorkupstate.com/expo/sports/erry-2018/12/501b72522bc54/being-beane-turning-bills-into.html

This article explains what Beane can do with $90 million in cap space and the steps he can take in the 2019 offseason through free agency, trades and the draft. I agree with this article but there are two changes I would make:

The article talks about trading for AJ Green by giving up a 3rd and 4th round pick which I wouldn't mind but personally I would go hard after Julio. The Falcons are 4-8 so Julio being there isn't helping them any. He held out for a new contract in training camp this year and I think he possibly does the same next year. Considering the Falcons cap situation and the fact that their defense is extremely bad, I could see them wanting to acquire draft picks to build that defense up in a defensive heavy draft. Also, the Falcons drafted Calvin Ridley last year and could possibly be Julio's replacement for a far cheaper price to them. Although Julio is gonna be 30 starting next season. He is a year younger than Green and should still have a few years left of quality football

The article talks about signing Jared Cook at tight end if we end up releasing Clay which I think we do. Jared Cook is going to be 32 at the beginning of next season but has been inconsistent also throughout his career. I would sign Tyler Eifert in free agency. Eifert is younger than cook but has had problems with injuries in his career. Because of his injury issues, I would sign Eifert to a simple one year deal and see if he can stay healthy throughout the season. If he is able to prove that he is durable and can make plays for this offense like he does for the Bengals when he actually plays then we can resign him to a longer contract. Eifert is also only 28 which is four years younger than Cook and could possibly be more of a longer term option if everything works out. 

The article also talks about signing Matt Paradis at center from the Broncos which I also agree with and drafting Ed Oliver in the 1st round to replace Kyle Williams whether he retires after the season or not and drafting Anthony Johnson in the 2nd round no matter what we do at receiver. 

It's a good read and gets you excited for the offseason and thinking about what next season could bring

Come on man! 

would rather the Bills pursue SD's WR than pick up an older vet..they aren't going to the Superbowl next year and even the playoffs are iffy (probably better than 50% but not a lock by any means)...get younger and in 2020 or 2021 add some vets to put you over the top.

Their first priority has to be to fix that OL and get a real TE; through the draft although Eifert is an intriguing idea.

Edited by entropyrules

3 minutes ago, entropyrules said:

would rather the Bills pursue SD's WR than pick up an older vet..they aren't going to the Superbowl next year and even the playoffs are iffy (probably better than 50% but not a lock by any means)...get younger and in 2020 or 2021 add some vets to put you over the top.

Their first priority has to be to fix that OL and get a real TE; through the draft although Eifert is an intriguing idea.

How do you know we aren't making the playoffs next season? That's what picking up Julio and signing Eifert is for. With our defense and another solid draft, there is no reason to think otherwise next season

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, entropyrules said:

Buffalo needs a #1 go to receiver.. Williams from the Chargers is hardly that.  

11 hours ago, entropyrules said:

^^^^^ 

15 hours ago, Buffalo03 said:

How is being a "playoff contender" in 2019 all that different from all the other years in the last 20 that the Bills have been "playoff contenders"?   The Bills have had 8 or 9 win seasons in 2000, 2002, 2004, 2014, 2015, and 2017 -- when they finally actually made the playoffs. They were even "in the playoff hunt" in a few of their 7-9 seasons before coming up short late in the season, so I'm a bit tired of the "making the Bills a playoff contender" hype.   Bills fans were fed this same bull manure under Wilson/Brandon regime, and it's simply continuing under Pegula/Beane.

I want to see a team that's good enough to win 10 games a season with regularity, and this team isn't that now, and isn't likely to be one in the foreseeable future.   The team is so talent deprived, especially on offense, that there's not enough talent in the 2019 draft and FA market to fill even most of the holes -- and that presumes that Pegula and Beane are actually interested in building a real winning team rather than continuing to play "money ball", something I'll believe when I actually see it.  Until the owner commits to building a winning team, there's no real chance of building one.

16 hours ago, Buffalo03 said:

How do you know we aren't making the playoffs next season? That's what picking up Julio and signing Eifert is for. With our defense and another solid draft, there is no reason to think otherwise next season

Well  I thought I said it was better by 50% so that's not saying they won't make the playoffs. So lets turn the Q around-are you saying that the addition of Jones and Eifert makes them a 100% lock to make the playoffs (assume no major injuries if that will help your case-just not sure how you could possibly prognosticate that). My major point is I would rather them structure things for a Superbowl run in 2020/2021 then just to make the playoffs next year. 

2 hours ago, SoTier said:

How is being a "playoff contender" in 2019 all that different from all the other years in the last 20 that the Bills have been "playoff contenders"?   The Bills have had 8 or 9 win seasons in 2000, 2002, 2004, 2014, 2015, and 2017 -- when they finally actually made the playoffs. They were even "in the playoff hunt" in a few of their 7-9 seasons before coming up short late in the season, so I'm a bit tired of the "making the Bills a playoff contender" hype.   Bills fans were fed this same bull manure under Wilson/Brandon regime, and it's simply continuing under Pegula/Beane.

I want to see a team that's good enough to win 10 games a season with regularity, and this team isn't that now, and isn't likely to be one in the foreseeable future.   The team is so talent deprived, especially on offense, that there's not enough talent in the 2019 draft and FA market to fill even most of the holes -- and that presumes that Pegula and Beane are actually interested in building a real winning team rather than continuing to play "money ball", something I'll believe when I actually see it.  Until the owner commits to building a winning team, there's no real chance of building one.

"A consistent REAL contender". We may have had a lot of 7 or 8 win seasons and only 3 seasons of 9 wins in the last 18 years. Nothing we really did in the last 20 years has made us contenders. These are a couple of moves that can give us more than 9 wins and give us a real, true playoff run

1 hour ago, entropyrules said:

Well  I thought I said it was better by 50% so that's not saying they won't make the playoffs. So lets turn the Q around-are you saying that the addition of Jones and Eifert makes them a 100% lock to make the playoffs (assume no major injuries if that will help your case-just not sure how you could possibly prognosticate that). My major point is I would rather them structure things for a Superbowl run in 2020/2021 then just to make the playoffs next year. 

Not 100% a lock but gives a real chance with the defense we have. And acquiring Julio and Eifert would set us up for a Super Bowl run in 2020/2021 possibly even 2019 if we are able to get into the playoffs. I don't understand how you think acquiring Julio and Eifert and two more solid drafts in 2019 and 2020 wouldn't put us on the path to a Super Bowl run in 2020 or 2021? We wouldn't be bringing Julio on board just to get to the playoffs next season, It's to start the step of a being a consistent contender

Edited by Buffalo03

34 minutes ago, Buffalo03 said:

"A consistent REAL contender". We may have had a lot of 7 or 8 win seasons and only 3 seasons of 9 wins in the last 18 years. Nothing we really did in the last 20 years has made us contenders. These are a couple of moves that can give us more than 9 wins and give us a real, true playoff run

Not 100% a lock but gives a real chance with the defense we have. And acquiring Julio and Eifert would set us up for a Super Bowl run in 2020/2021 possibly even 2019 if we are able to get into the playoffs. I don't understand how you think acquiring Julio and Eifert and two more solid drafts in 2019 and 2020 wouldn't put us on the path to a Super Bowl run in 2020 or 2021? We wouldn't be bringing Julio on board just to get to the playoffs next season, It's to start the step of a being a consistent contender

I guess I have an in-built bias about acquiring aging veterans who appear to be on the downside of their career. If they do acquire Jones I won't jump of a bridge unless tied to a bungee (I probably wouldn't even do it even with a bungee). Certainly Lorenzo is an example that gives lie to my bias but I see that as the exception to the rule. I am due to return to the mud soon and just once I want some Buffalo team get to the promised land before I do so for me its all about winning the SB and not just getting into the playoffs. How we get there is always open for argument and mine are just an opinion. Not like its an engineering problem where the solutions are usually narrowed to one or two choices.