Need planning help: Taking Scout Troop to Niagara Falls in June

AmishRifle

Hey folks,

I’ve been tasked to plan a trip for our Boy Scout Troop from Hamden Township, PA to Niagara Falls in June.  We have two days and three nights planned for the stay in the area.  Can anyone offer some camping site or itinerary advice?  Appreciate any responses.

• Like (+1) 1

The experience is much better on the Canadian side,so the kids will need passports and permission slips from a parent.As far as a campground is concerned...there is a KOA in Lewiston,Branch of Niagara is another nice one...just keep in mind,if your planning on a June trip,you better book ASAP or you'll be out of luck.

8 minutes ago, ocemur said:

Fort Niagara might be worth a visit depending on the kids ages/interests. I imagine a nearby musket shot might get a kid to look up from his phone for a second or two.

Excellent idea!

I forgot about Marineland and they have a campground.

Edited by Misterbluesky

55 minutes ago, ocemur said:

Fort Niagara might be worth a visit depending on the kids ages/interests. I imagine a nearby musket shot might get a kid to look up from his phone for a second or two.

Wow! I think I went there as a kid, and that sticks with me. Of course, that was a LONG time ago, the fort was still active, I believe. 

3 minutes ago, Augie said:

Wow! I think I went there as a kid, and that sticks with me. Of course, that was a LONG time ago, the fort was still active, I believe. 

Was that when the French surrendered it?

FWIW... The French flag of the period was all white.  Why they fly that flag over the Fort.  LoL...

11 minutes ago, Augie said:

My dad took us on the trail that went to the sand dunes....there must have been a few hundred sandpipers working the shoreline...it was truly something to witness.

49 minutes ago, Misterbluesky said:

My dad took us on the trail that went to the sand dunes....there must have been a few hundred sandpipers working the shoreline...it was truly something to witness.

I’m vague on the details, but my visit was on a school field trip. I’m pretty sure that must have been the place.  A cool, but fuzzy memory from my childhood. I had some of those from college too, but they were fuzzy the very next day. 

2 hours ago, ocemur said:

Fort Niagara is a good place, enjoyed it, as well as crossing over to the Canadian side to old Fort Eerie(?). 2 different designs of forts in close proximity, but I’m a sucker for history.

12 hours ago, Shamrock said:

Fort Niagara is a good place, enjoyed it, as well as crossing over to the Canadian side to old Fort Eerie(?). 2 different designs of forts in close proximity, but I’m a sucker for history.

The fort at Niagara on the Lake, Ontario is Fort George.  That is the Fort in proximity to Fort Niagara on the U.S.side.  Fort Erie is across the Niagara River from Buffalo, N.Y.

The NewYork Power Vista Visitor Center in Lewiston was revamped some years ago.  Recent reviews give it good ratings, I remember it from a visit in the late 60s.  The hows and whys of the building of the hydroelectric power generating project on the U.S. side.

Edited by Ridgewaycynic2013
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Not sure if you would want to do this, and even if it is legal. But we used to camp overnight in the gorge, lots of nice spots between the Whirlpool and the Power Vista.Visit Devils Hole State Park for details, trail maps etchttps://www.parks.ny.gov/parks/42/.

Even if you do not camp, a nice short hike between the two points..from top to bottom back up to top prolly  a 90 minute hike.Great views, close but too close to the water..lots of fun for kids to climb on rocks etc.

If you want to do Fort Niagara, and i absolutely would, this is a decent campground near there.

https://parks.ny.gov/parks/6/details.aspx

Lots of good fishing near the campground, as well as the @ the Power Vista ..if fishing is an option.

Maid of the Mist , Cave of the Winds are must do with kids ..and both accessible from the US side. I am assuming a bunch of kids will not have passports, so think that will be important.

• Like (+1) 1

Have you contacted the local BSA office to see if they have any ideas for you? They are very willing to help, have lists of ideas, etc (well, at least they were... my son is an Eagle and they were helpful back when he was in scouting).

Niagara Discovery Center, Schoellkopf Power Plant Ruins & Hiking Trails

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

Not sure if you would want to do this, and even if it is legal. But we used to camp overnight in the gorge, lots of nice spots between the Whirlpool and the Power Vista.Visit Devils Hole State Park for details, trail maps etchttps://www.parks.ny.gov/parks/42/.

Even if you do not camp, a nice short hike between the two points..from top to bottom back up to top prolly  a 90 minute hike.Great views, close but too close to the water..lots of fun for kids to climb on rocks etc.

If you want to do Fort Niagara, and i absolutely would, this is a decent campground near there.

https://parks.ny.gov/parks/6/details.aspx

Lots of good fishing near the campground, as well as the @ the Power Vista ..if fishing is an option.

Maid of the Mist , Cave of the Winds are must do with kids ..and both accessible from the US side. I am assuming a bunch of kids will not have passports, so think that will be important.

Thanks for this!

1 hour ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

Have you contacted the local BSA office to see if they have any ideas for you? They are very willing to help, have lists of ideas, etc (well, at least they were... my son is an Eagle and they were helpful back when he was in scouting).

Niagara Discovery Center, Schoellkopf Power Plant Ruins & Hiking Trails

Great idea!  Thank you!!