Ryan Talbot: Turning the Bills into a Contender via 2019 NFL Draft, Trade, and Free Agency

10 hours ago, RyanTalbotBills said:

Appreciate the response/constructive criticism. Most draft boards available are top-100 players right now. If draft experts don't have a full idea of where players will go, it's hard to do a full seven-round projection. That said, I addressed a few picks specifically and gave a general idea of how the others would be used. Here's a full look at how I'd use the picks:
Round 1: DT Ed Oliver
Round 2: WR Anthony Johnson
Round 3/4: A.J. Green trade
Round 4 (via Ragland): Guard depth
Round 5: LB behind Alexander ------------------> LB Khalil Hodge
Round 5 (via McCarron trade): CB depth
Round 6: Quadree Ollison
Round 7: Tight end
Round 7 (via Seymour trade): BPA

UDFA target-----------------> C James O'Hagan

As for being free agent heavy, most of the players listed won't break the bank. Thanks for reading!

Good article. Interesting thought re the AJ Green trade, but with only 46 receptions on 77 targets this year, are we sure AJ can still get open? Have to wonder if McBeane might be gun shy after the KB trade. I could see them targeting someone like Moncrief in FA. 

DT seems like a good bet in round one if only because there appear to be so many good ones. I kinda hope we don't go crazy with the o-line. We don't 100% know Josh is going to make it, and right now he looks best making plays outside the pocket. Finding a center should be a priority though. Paradis would be an excellent get.    

11 hours ago, RyanTalbotBills said:

Appreciate the response/constructive criticism. Most draft boards available are top-100 players right now. If draft experts don't have a full idea of where players will go, it's hard to do a full seven-round projection. That said, I addressed a few picks specifically and gave a general idea of how the others would be used. Here's a full look at how I'd use the picks:
Round 1: DT Ed Oliver
Round 2: WR Anthony Johnson
Round 3/4: A.J. Green trade
Round 4 (via Ragland): Guard depth
Round 5: LB behind Alexander
Round 5 (via McCarron trade): CB depth
Round 6: Quadree Ollison
Round 7: Tight end
Round 7 (via Seymour trade): BPA 

As for being free agent heavy, most of the players listed won't break the bank. Thanks for reading!

What do you think of a Julio Jones trade.

8 hours ago, billsredneck1 said:

ok, i'm gonna respond now even before i read the whole thing. point no.1.....

barkley is likely to find a good paying spot that may give him a chance to even start.  he ain't getting that here and i doubt the bills get him back. that being said,

if there were any brains in the brain trust, they'd bring in chad kelly now or the day after the season ends. if they lose barkley, they will be forced to draft a qb with one of their picks or dumpster dive. get kelly in buffalo and get him concentrating on turning his life around and do it before it's too late.

i can absolutely see this team going into april with only allen on the roster and there's no need for that.  get kelly asap and it won't cost a dime to have him around and see if he can put things together. there's no qb in the draft ( where we would probably take one) that's even close.  the pats will take him if we don't. this is the time for this fo to get ahead of the game.

edit:  thanks 26! a great read and thread.  i will read every post but i think i could do a much better job than talbot.  his take seems like an off the top of your head  luke warm fan effort...for lack of a better description. i want his job.

edit 2:  i think we'll see more things shape up by week 17...like...levi wallace and we don't have to go corner high. i actually thought lewis played very well.

mike love may ease our minds at edge. i'm excited to see him play.

i have full confidence in mcbeane as far as the draft and fa go. ...so long as they learned something about qbs....see above

Not likely.  For the first time I can ever remember I can't think of a team desperate for a QB.  Some of these young guys may not work out but the Jury is still out.  Years ago Brady, Brees, Rodgers, Eli and maybe Roethlisberger would have already retired.  A result of rules designed to protect the QB.  These teams all still have their QBs.

I think Barkely is getting overvalued here a bit....I want to keep him but lets not act like there will be team banging down the door based off the one good game he had this year....he was a street free agent for a reason.

And too be honest.....being the backup QB on this team is not going to be a bad gig once they have a strong offense offseason.

12 hours ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...strictly opinion, but I don't see Beane as a "FA Big Splash" type......think he's more of a value shopper.....wouldn't surprise me if out of the 2019 FA $$$$ pool, he has sketched out spending "X" dollars in 2019 and the remaining "Y" dollars in 2020, which I believe he can do.....AND he already has a list of preliminary 2019 targets as well as POTENTIAL 2020 targets....think he is pretty measured in his approach, remaining committed to building through the draft.....if I remember correctly, the Steelers 2009 SB club consisted of 19 out of 22 starters who were acquired through the draft........

He tried to sign John Brown last offseason.  Do you really think he is talking about bargain basement shopping when talking about Buffalo becoming an attractive FA destination.  Now I don't think he will spend it all 40 mil like is suggested actually sounds about right.

1 hour ago, VW82 said:

Good article. Interesting thought re the AJ Green trade, but with only 46 receptions on 77 targets this year, are we sure AJ can still get open? Have to wonder if McBeane might be gun shy after the KB trade. I could see them targeting someone like Moncrief in FA. 

DT seems like a good bet in round one if only because there appear to be so many good ones. I kinda hope we don't go crazy with the o-line. We don't 100% know Josh is going to make it, and right now he looks best making plays outside the pocket. Finding a center should be a priority though. Paradis would be an excellent get.    

If you dont take a swing how are you gonna get hits.  Does that sound familiar to you.  I dont ever believe this regime will be shy if they can improve the team.  They will do what they think is best.

FA should be to fill in depth in  the secondary , DL and LB.  The need to address WR, TE, OL and RB in the draft is to rebuild a unit lacking in talent.  Depending how they finish will factor in who they take in the first round and if they move back to pick up picks.  Look for the first pick to be the best player available (I see CB).  

3 hours ago, formerlyofCtown said:

He tried to sign John Brown last offseason.  Do you really think he is talking about bargain basement shopping when talking about Buffalo becoming an attractive FA destination.  Now I don't think he will spend it all 40 mil like is suggested actually sounds about right.

If you dont take a swing how are you gonna get hits.  Does that sound familiar to you.  I dont ever believe this regime will be shy if they can improve the team.  They will do what they think is best.

.....did not mean to imply "bargain basement shopping"......just meant I think he'll be a prudent value shopper versus Cousins' type guaranteed money for one player........

6 hours ago, formerlyofCtown said:

You're just saying that because he's on here responding to people.  Does Chris Brown still come on here or did he get run off.

No and no.

Furthermore, I've opined numerous times on here that John Wawrow is the best writer who covers the Bills and he responds to people all the time here.

And I'm not sure if he's related to the other Talbot who used to come here and link to his own crap and push his garbage every chance he could.  If not, it would be very coincidental.

At this point, I think Beane probably agrees with Talbot and brings McCoy back while letting Ivory go, but I think Ivory has simply been better than McCoy this season, and at their respective costs, I'd be more interested in bringing Ivory back than McCoy (though you could make a solid argument for letting both of them go too).

I can nitpick some of the specific decisions in the article...Anthony Johnson isn't the guy I'd like to target in the 2nd round; likewise with Ollison in the 6th, but can't argue with the holes Talbot has us looking to fill, and so much can change between now and April as far as draft targets go.

I'd definitely love to get Ed Oliver here; it seems like there's some buzz that Oliver is slipping down draft boards, but we'll see if that remains the case after he likely takes the NFL Combine by storm. Seems like most people have Quinnen Williams going top 3 at this point, so I don't foresee him being an option unfortunately.

1 hour ago, Gugny said:

No and no.

Furthermore, I've opined numerous times on here that John Wawrow is the best writer who covers the Bills and he responds to people all the time here.

And I'm not sure if he's related to the other Talbot who used to come here and link to his own crap and push his garbage every chance he could.  If not, it would be very coincidental.

They are brothers I believe.

With that being said, I like the work that Ryan does. He’s a good follow on Twitter. He will defend his opinions and interact with people. He is an asset to Bills reporting IMO. 

• Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

.....did not mean to imply "bargain basement shopping"......just meant I think he'll be a prudent value shopper versus Cousins' type guaranteed money for one player........

I definitely agree he wont overpay.  He has said himself they set a value and thats it.

1 hour ago, Gugny said:

No and no.

Hey Gugny lighten up.  I was just pickin a little.  You actually used "Furthermore"  I must have hit a nerve.

15 minutes ago, formerlyofCtown said:

I definitely agree he wont overpay.  He has said himself they set a value and thats it.

Hey Gugny lighten up.  I was just pickin a little.  You actually used "Furthermore"  I must have hit a nerve.

...thanks for clarification...much appreciated........:thumbsup:.......

31 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

They are brothers I believe.

With that being said, I like the work that Ryan does. He’s a good follow on Twitter. He will defend his opinions and interact with people. He is an asset to Bills reporting IMO. 

He did an interview with our local sports radio the Friday before Peterman's last start.  He went on and on about how "Buffalo was rallying around" Peterman.  That's when he lost me.  There's not one Bills fan I know who didn't want to puke when hearing that Peterman would start that game.  It was a crappy take.  

But I'll leave it alone.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

21 hours ago, RyanTalbotBills said:

Fair critique, but the offensive line was significantly worse with Sirles starting last week. I feel if you have talent around Miller, he won't be nearly as much of a liability. Matt Paradis and Daryl Williams should realistically help whoever starts at right guard. Don't sleep on Ike Boettger getting a shot there either.

Any reason why you don't think a 31-year old wide receiver entering the final year of his contract wouldn't be available? Throw in the fact that the team will likely have a new head coach and I don't think it's as far-fetched as you believe. Appreciate you reading up to that point at least. 

Hi Ryan. Rational thought and reality aren’t really big on this board. Unless they’re producing and winning NOW, everyone should be fired is the general consensus. 

Forward thinking isn’t really popular here. Thank you for responding and discussing: it’s a commendable move. 

2 hours ago, Gugny said:

No and no.

...interesting...if so, I'd think SDS would have him on a VERY "short leash".................