Ryan Talbot: Turning the Bills into a Contender via 2019 NFL Draft, Trade, and Free Agency

I think Josh Gordon is A FA. We should sign him instead of trading for Green. I like the C, RT, and TE Cooks upgrades. Then Re-sign K William's and Alexander.

Take CB Greedy William's with our 1st instead of the DT. I like the A Johnson pick in the 2nd. Then BPA the rest of the way. Then the team would be solid everywhere and not totally break the bank. I know Gordon Is a huge risk but that will keep his  contract much more reasonable and I like him more now then Green anyways. If WR DK Metcalf falls enough in the 1st I would trade my 2nd and 3rd to move up and grab him if possible. I think he will be a Julio Jones type receiver. 

Edited by Franchiseneedsme
  • Like (+1) 1

Oliver is gone before we pick. I agree with Walter. 

Buffalo Bills: Jawaan Taylor, OT, Florida Florida_logo.gif 
The Bills absolutely need to improve Josh Allen's protection and receiving talent. It could be argued that Buffalo has the worst offensive line in the NFL. 

Or Alabama's Williams.

Edited by Bills Fan of Maryland

I don't mind any of his positional fixes in of themselves, but together they're not awesome. 

Guard can't be left unaddressed. 

Green would be a good player as he would give Allen an immediate weapon- I think we would be in great shape with Green being father time to Jones, Johnson, Foster, and McKenzie. 

I don't think Running back can be left completely undone either- we need someone who can push Shady and take some reps if he doesn't have a re-bound year. The nice thing about that is that RB's are a dime a dozen. 

Williams makes way too much sense at RT- I knew from the Dareus trade that we'd sign Star, and I'm almost as confident that we'll sign Williams.

I think that Kyle will come back with the intention of being highly rotational with Horrible Harry starting. I think a lighter workload, and the chance to see this team play better will bring him back. 

I know Dline is the strength of the class, but I wouldn't be thrilled starting there as I don't think it's our biggest need (I even think outside is bigger a need than interior) so i'd prefer to trade down. If that can't happen, then I'm okay with a Clelin Ferrel or Rashan Gary (And I wouldn't hate having Oliver). 

I'm neutral about Cook. I might rather have a Jessie James type with a late pick and see what we can do with Croom and those guys. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...strictly opinion, but I don't see Beane as a "FA Big Splash" type......think he's more of a value shopper.....wouldn't surprise me if out of the 2019 FA $$$$ pool, he has sketched out spending "X" dollars in 2019 and the remaining "Y" dollars in 2020, which I believe he can do.....AND he already has a list of preliminary 2019 targets as well as POTENTIAL 2020 targets....think he is pretty measured in his approach, remaining committed to building through the draft.....if I remember correctly, the Steelers 2009 SB club consisted of 19 out of 22 starters who were acquired through the draft........

So if we carry over half and have a ton in 2020.... when do you think he finally spends? Just saving it all for allen preemptively?

40 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Trade Rodgers for Allen

trade Thompson and Foster for Julio

trade Logan Thomas for Hunter Henry (coming off an injury so the price is down)

draft all o linemen

sign Clowney minimum 

hire Chan gailey as OC

boom

image.thumb.jpeg.b120242901acfba43d4af9b4d5684a00.jpeg

2 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

So if we carry over half and have a ton in 2020.... when do you think he finally spends? Just saving it all for allen preemptively?

....as expected, I don't have a clue.....not sure how long you can carry forward.......but expecting McBeane to be charting potential FA's by year may answer your question if there is an upcoming  year to pull the BIG trigger.....

1 hour ago, Rico said:

I don't think re-signing and starting John Miller is a good idea. :sick:

...maybe his cousin Dennis???....just askin'............

41 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

40 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

image.thumb.jpeg.b120242901acfba43d4af9b4d5684a00.jpeg

....as expected, I don't have a clue.....not sure how long you can carry forward.......but expecting McBeane to be charting potential FA's by year may answer your question if there is an upcoming  year to pull the BIG trigger.....

...maybe his cousin Dennis???....just askin'............

not sure they carry over half...each team is required to spend up to a certain % of the cap...so they have to spend a certain amount, not sure what it is tho...but I can see Beane spending to that amount and saving for 2020...wonder if the FA pool for 2020 is better

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Tsaikotic said:

not sure they carry over half...each team is required to spend up to a certain % of the cap...so they have to spend a certain amount, not sure what it is tho...but I can see Beane spending to that amount and saving for 2020...wonder if the FA pool for 2020 is better

Half was an arbitrary term

but for sake of discussion the salary floor is a 5 year rolling average of cash spent. You could carry over whatever in a single year but have to spend on average over 5 years 89%(though I think that may have scaled a point or two higher over time?)

2 hours ago, NewDayBills said:

There is no way you bring Shady back, all of them need to go. We'd be better off signing Yeldon and Coleman and doing it RB by committee. Hell, between cutting Shady and Ivory we'd probably save money by signing Yeldon and Coleman. We'd be a lot younger too. 

Bills have already said they're bringing back Shady

ok, i'm gonna respond now even before i read the whole thing. point no.1.....

barkley is likely to find a good paying spot that may give him a chance to even start.  he ain't getting that here and i doubt the bills get him back. that being said,

if there were any brains in the brain trust, they'd bring in chad kelly now or the day after the season ends. if they lose barkley, they will be forced to draft a qb with one of their picks or dumpster dive. get kelly in buffalo and get him concentrating on turning his life around and do it before it's too late.

i can absolutely see this team going into april with only allen on the roster and there's no need for that.  get kelly asap and it won't cost a dime to have him around and see if he can put things together. there's no qb in the draft ( where we would probably take one) that's even close.  the pats will take him if we don't. this is the time for this fo to get ahead of the game.

edit:  thanks 26! a great read and thread.  i will read every post but i think i could do a much better job than talbot.  his take seems like an off the top of your head  luke warm fan effort...for lack of a better description. i want his job.

edit 2:  i think we'll see more things shape up by week 17...like...levi wallace and we don't have to go corner high. i actually thought lewis played very well.

mike love may ease our minds at edge. i'm excited to see him play.

i have full confidence in mcbeane as far as the draft and fa go. ...so long as they learned something about qbs....see above

Edited by billsredneck1

3 hours ago, RyanTalbotBills said:

Fair critique, but the offensive line was significantly worse with Sirles starting last week. I feel if you have talent around Miller, he won't be nearly as much of a liability. Matt Paradis and Daryl Williams should realistically help whoever starts at right guard. Don't sleep on Ike Boettger getting a shot there either.

I would rather see Ike start or even Vlad back before Miller :bag:. He's got to go.

• 26CornerBlitz changed the title to Ryan Talbot: Turning the Bills into a Contender via 2019 NFL Draft, Trade, and Free Agency
6 hours ago, RyanTalbotBills said:

Appreciate the response/constructive criticism. Most draft boards available are top-100 players right now. If draft experts don't have a full idea of where players will go, it's hard to do a full seven-round projection. That said, I addressed a few picks specifically and gave a general idea of how the others would be used. Here's a full look at how I'd use the picks:
Round 1: DT Ed Oliver
Round 2: WR Anthony Johnson
Round 3/4: A.J. Green trade
Round 4 (via Ragland): Guard depth
Round 5: LB behind Alexander
Round 5 (via McCarron trade): CB depth
Round 6: Quadree Ollison
Round 7: Tight end
Round 7 (via Seymour trade): BPA 

As for being free agent heavy, most of the players listed won't break the bank. Thanks for reading!

Hey thanks for responding.  I think you'll be surprised how much Tyrell Williams ends up getting.  Wide outs are getting paid a ton and he may be the top wideout in this year's class.  I can see him getting 14 million a year easy, especially with the cap going up to 190.

Paradis is an 11 million to 12 million dollar a year player and Daryl Williams should command 8 to 9.

They are each, the top or at the top at their position for available free agents.

3 hours ago, billsredneck1 said:

ok, i'm gonna respond now even before i read the whole thing. point no.1.....

barkley is likely to find a good paying spot that may give him a chance to even start.  he ain't getting that here and i doubt the bills get him back. that being said,

if there were any brains in the brain trust, they'd bring in chad kelly now or the day after the season ends. if they lose barkley, they will be forced to draft a qb with one of their picks or dumpster dive. get kelly in buffalo and get him concentrating on turning his life around and do it before it's too late.

i can absolutely see this team going into april with only allen on the roster and there's no need for that.  get kelly asap and it won't cost a dime to have him around and see if he can put things together. there's no qb in the draft ( where we would probably take one) that's even close.  the pats will take him if we don't. this is the time for this fo to get ahead of the game.

edit:  thanks 26! a great read and thread.  i will read every post but i think i could do a much better job than talbot.  his take seems like an off the top of your head  luke warm fan effort...for lack of a better description. i want his job.

edit 2:  i think we'll see more things shape up by week 17...like...levi wallace and we don't have to go corner high. i actually thought lewis played very well.

mike love may ease our minds at edge. i'm excited to see him play.

i have full confidence in mcbeane as far as the draft and fa go. ...so long as they learned something about qbs....see above

With ideas like these, it's only a matter of time before you take my job. Thanks for checking out the article.

3 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

This is good work, as always, from Ryan. This would be a GREAT offseason IMO. The only concern I’d have, at this point, is the #2 CB. Good work though Ryan

Appreciate you checking out the article, Kirby!

32 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

Hey thanks for responding.  I think you'll be surprised how much Tyrell Williams ends up getting.  Wide outs are getting paid a ton and he may be the top wideout in this year's class.  I can see him getting 14 million a year easy, especially with the cap going up to 190.

Paradis is an 11 million to 12 million dollar a year player and Daryl Williams should command 8 to 9.

They are each, the top or at the top at their position for available free agents.

Tyrell Williams could get more money than I expect. I'll respectfully disagree with you on Paradis. He is coming off of a one-year, $2.9 million contract in Denver. Throw in the fact that he's coming off of a serious injury and I think he'll come at a more reasonable price. Daryl Williams could be in demand depending on how comfortable teams feel with his knee. 

• Haha (+1) 2

8 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

@RyanTalbotBills

Being Beane: Turning Bills into a Contender via 2019 NFL Draft, Trade, Free Agency

How to make Bills into instant contender this offseason

By Ryan Talbot | Contributing writer
Brandon Beane has the opportunity to turn the Buffalo Bills into a legitimate contender in the 2019 offseason.

Buffalo currently has 10 picks in the 2019 NFL Draft and Spotrac.com projects that the team will have over $90 million in cap space. How would we use these assets to turn the Bills into a powerhouse? We're glad you asked.

Laid out is a position-by-position breakdown of key players under contract for the team in 2019 and moves that we'd make in free agency, via trade and the draft to bolster positions if we were Bills GM. 

Trading for AJ Green is not something I would want to see the Bills do. Too much money and draft capital. Scenario B I think is a better option. It's up to Allen to make Jones or Williams a number 1 wide receiver. As we saw with our last exodus of talent at the wide receiver position, all the guys were capable of being number 1 guys, we just didn't have a QB to get them the ball.

Letting McCoy walk would also be a wise decision. I know he's a fan favorite but the cost of keeping a 31 year old back who is definitely showing signs of hitting the wall isn't worth the fan service. Ivory can also go, I agree. If we do keep McCoy he won't be happy because I don't think he will be a feature back like he has been. Daboll's system seems to be more about a power running back, a north/south kind of runner like he utilized in Alabama.

Jared Cook might be a nice stop gap but the Bills should be targeting a young TE in the draft. The position is a mess.

The offensive line is awful. Only bringing in a new center won't cut it. This is where I'd like to see the Bills spend their money in free agency. I like your center choice but we're going to need a lot more than that. Chance Warmack of the Eagles is a potential target, certainly an upgrade to what we have. Bobby Massie could also be an upgrade on the right outside as the Bears are up against the cap and he may be cheaper coming off a big contract that he didn't quite live up too.

The defense I think remains mainly the same. Shaq stepped up this year, Edmunds will be better in year two, Milano is an animal. We might be replacing Kyle depending on what he decides in the offseason. Will need a decent rotational player and have Phillips or Phillips step into Kyle's shoes. And I think we'll see another corner drafted.

My ideal draft would look something like Noah Fant in the first, Anthony Johnson in the second and Bryce Love in the third. A nice infusion of young skill players, a veteran offensive line and young guys on defense continuing to progress should make for an exciting 2019.

9 hours ago, thenorthremembers said:

Gotta do better if youre a NFL writer.  If you want to talk about updating the team, at the very least include all the draft picks.  Dont think they will be that FA heavy.  

This doesn't address defense in the least.

He's a hack.  Horrible.