1993 Houston Wildcard Comeback- Where were you guys

Ice bowl 67

8 year old me was with my brother and Mom in the upper deck. I wanted to go home at halftime because of the cold and never thought they would come back. I begged and begged but my mother said we paid good money and we were going to stay no matter what happened. Best decision she ever made. 

The stadium emptied out so much that me and my brother went down to the lower deck as they were making their comeback. As we went out the concourse people were climbing the fences trying to get back in and eventually security gave up stopping people from getting back in. Great game and great memories. You can catch a 2 second glimpse of me on the 1993 vhs season review video they used to put out every year.  

• Like (+1) 2

My mom and I were at her friends house and we all swear we watched it on tv but it was a blackout so we must be wrong. All have similar memories of the party and the game. 

For the people that went and left. Why pay good money to go to a game and leave early. That never made sense to me. We had a group of people that got seasons every year and I don't think they've stayed past halftime for any game they've been to. They would get mad at me for staying. I'd be me sitting by myself in a 5 row block. 

Edited by Not at the table Karlos

• 3 weeks later...

I was upstairs in my bedroom listening on the radio...my Mom had given up an was in the kitchen making dinner. The bills scored their first TD in the second half and I yelled down. Then they scored again and I yelled down again, and she was like "Wow...they are making a game out of it at least!".  Then after they scored again...she started getting excited and came back up to listen with me.  After they won the game we couldn't wait to watch the highlights on ESPN Primetime with Chris Berman...

I can still remember him...

they showed the highlight of Bubba McDowell intercepting the pass and returning it for a TD to start off the 2nd half and  he was like "its over...it's all over...for Houston..."

Edited by matter2003

On 12/8/2018 at 1:50 PM, Peace Frog said:

That's easy.  I was with my dad, a stripper named Cheri that I worked with (I was a DJ) at Club Diamond Dust, and her 12 yr old nephew.  We were sitting near the visitor/scoreboard side corner of the endzone.  What a game!

You win.

59 minutes ago, CLTbills said:

You win.

My story is completely true.  Club Diamond Dust was on the corner of Genesee & Transit (now called Scores Buffalo Airport) and was frequented by some of the Bills players after road games.  Cheri was good friends with NT Jeff Wright (frequent customer) so she wanted to go to the game.

I was home, watching on TV. The first half was so depressing that by mid 2Q I decided to terminate Christmas. I went in the living room, started to take ornaments off tree, went to attic for boxes, etc and was just PO'd. Game was still on in other room and about halfway into the 3Q my wife said "You'd better get in here".

Needness to say I never finished the Christmas cleanup that day.

Section M1

Row 1

Seat 109

About 8 of us went in 2 different vans. Three guys left at the half. A while later two girls were getting cold and miserable and said they were going to wait in the van. We had just scored to make it 35-10. I said, hey we just scored, stick around and see what happens. Of course I had about as much confidence as everybody else, but right about then we recovered the surprise onsides kick, and just a few plays later it was 35-17.

The girls were glad they stayed. The guys who left, ha ha ha ha ha . . . 

I went to a bar in Toronto (due to the blackout) with a friend and not many were there and at half I said let's stay for the first possession (pretty sure the Bills were getting the kick to start the second half) and then we'll leave. 

Left we did when the Bills won it in OT!!!!! 

We were so close to being gone.  

Actually when you look at the box score, wasn't as big an offensive performance as I remembered.

I was only three, so I don't really remember it. As most in town remember, the game didn't sell out in time. I guess because Reich was starting, people didn't think we had a chance. So my dad went to watch it at a bar he knew that had an illegal feed. After halftime, he gave up, went to visit my grandpa in the nursing home. They listened to it on the radio, and when the Bills started coming back, he told my grandpa, "I love you dad, but I gotta go!" My grandpa understood, and said he'd be going with him if he could. My dad made it to the bar just in time for the start of overtime.

He always tells me "The game didn't sell out. The stadium holds 80,000 people. I've met 100,000 who told me they were there. And not one of them admits to leaving at half time."

I had just started working and was back in Buffalo to hang out with friends who were still at UB. Game was blacked out, and we went to this little breakfast joint near the Amherst campus, where the $1 theater stood before. That place was greasy, messy but served an egg, 2 toasts and 2 bacon, sausage pieces for $1!! Coffee was $0.60. anyway, we were listening to the game on their radio ( yeah we used to go there for 'breakfast' after noon) and were frustrated at half time. But then the comeback started and we stayed there listening till the end of the game. Lovely memories!

I remember the Oilers beating the Bills butts for 6+ quarters (dating back to previous week's season finale in Houston), to the tune of 62-6, but suddenly it all changed in the third quarter right after McDowell's pick six, for whatever reason.

I was home watching this game and losing my mind both positively and negatively. 

What a roller coaster of emotions this game brought.

At my house in Kenmore, listening to Van, putting seats in my '80 Trans Am. Nothing better to do since I couldn't watch it!

Oh, I forgot, I was there!!! (Isn't that what we're all suppose to say?)

Living in Houston now, I still have people come up to me (when wearing Bills stuff) to tell me about THAT game! They are somewhat, less enthusiastic than me! 

I was 13, home alone in Lancaster, listening to Van Miller and acting out the game with a rubber football.  We had 2 season tickets, and it was usually my Mom and I attending the games, but I wasn't feeling well, so my Dad and Mom went together.  I'm sure it was amazing in person, but I still feel there was something magical about listening to Van and putting my imagination to good use.

Back in those days there was no EZ pass.  When I returned to Albany that night, I handed the ticket to the toll collector & said "We just saw the greatest game in NFL history".  Back then I used to tape all the playoff games.  When Petrino & I got back to my apartment & before he drove home, we watched the game again  to see what the TV announcers said.  I had numerous requests for the tape both in Albany & Buffalo.  After I filled the Albany requests, since I had 2 VCRs & could make copies, I sent the tape to a friend in Buffalo who was a HS teacher & he had the AV department make copies for anyone who wanted one. 

• Thank you (+1) 1