1993 Houston Wildcard Comeback- Where were you guys

Ice bowl 67

I was at a 96 Olympics Security Planning Retreat on St. Simons Island, GA.  60 Chiefs/Commanders/Special Agents in Charge of agencies that would be involved in the Olympics.    One of the FBI leads was from WNY---he and I ducked out when it became 35-24 and watched the rest of the game from the hotel bar.  Slowly but surely other folks came out to "find" us -- by the OT field goal half the retreat attendees were watching the game.    If there would have been a breach that caused the Olympic Park bombing (which there wasn't) you probably could have traced it to that day..... 

Edited by JoeF

At the game not in our usual seats as we chose not to buy playoff tickets that year given the Bills limping into the playoffs.  It was a decent day weather-wise the game not sold out so my wife and I bought tickets in the upper deck last minute.  A lot of people left at halftime and when Houston went up 35-3 early in 3rd quarter, many others left.  We stuck it out.  Shocked as the Bills came back and won.  Know a couple people that left at 35-3 who heard cheers as they got to their cars but had no intentions of turning around.  Others tried to get back into the stadium and were denied.  Quite an experience.

Edited by keepthefaith

I was 6 years old and I distinctly remember my dad listening to the game on the radio. That was the year I really started to get into football. I remember being extremely excited for after the comeback win and that first Bills/Cowboys Super Bowl being my first memory of a Superbowl and us getting blasted 52-17 and being completely bummed when they lost and then my parents telling me it was time for bed because I had school the next day. I wanted no part of going to bed right after that lol

1 hour ago, Albany,n.y. said:

It was only a very cold day to a Floridian?

It was warm enough that when there was a mist it was rain & not snow or freezing rain. 

I've been to a lot colder games. 

I was living in Albany at the time, and I am from Buffalo, but it would be very cold to me now.  You are right - been to colder games  - always colder when you are losing though.  I don't recall being cold by the end. ?

Was at the game sitting in end zone seats on the side the last field goal was kicked. Would have left at halftime in a second if my friends who lived in Orchard Park would have said let's go back to our house and party. Would have suggested it myself but I lived in Binghamton and was driving back after the game. Obviously very glad I stayed.

1 hour ago, LSHMEAB said:

Did he bet the ML or take the points? Houston still covered!

He was crying so he had to to take them to win.

He was a guest in a Bills box and he was being such a dick to men and women and laughing all through half time, pissing on his hosts.

The response by us in the box as the tides turned...was far from exemplary.  ?

Edited by dollars 2 donuts
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

I was in Ethiopia just getting back from a mission in Somalia. I remember telling my friend that I was nervous about the game. I didn't know the final score and I turned on CNN International. They played the highlights as the game progressed. I was bummed out and thought about shutting it off but I wanted to know the final. 

I didn't watch the whole game until about 10 years ago.

• Thank you (+1) 1

52 minutes ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

He was crying so he had to to take them to win.

He was a guest in a Bills box and he was being such a dick to men and women and laughing all through half time, pissing on his hosts.

The response by us in the box as the tides turned...was far from exemplary.  ?

I looked it up and the Bills were actually only favored by 2 because of Kelly's injury.

Glad that poor sap lost.

• Like (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, bills7834 said:

I was in Ethiopia just getting back from a mission in Somalia. I remember telling my friend that I was nervous about the game. I didn't know the final score and I turned on CNN International. They played the highlights as the game progressed. I was bummed out and thought about shutting it off but I wanted to know the final. 

I didn't watch the whole game until about 10 years ago.

thank you for your service. i'm sure that assignment was no picnic.

i was home watching it. greatest game i ever saw. my daughter who now works in a law firm was 8 months old. i freaked out that day and was so glad i taped it on vhs so i would have it for years to come....

until my daughter was a bit older and taped hannah montana over it.  i actually forgot about that til just now....now i'm p'o'd all over again.

• Like (+1) 1

Together with my girlfriend, on our way back to Rochester from a short vacation in Washington, DC. I was listening to the game on the radio until the interception to make it 35-3, then switched the radio off, very disappointed. Some miles later, we had to get gas. The gas station, somewhere in southern Pennsylvania, had the game on TV, with a score of 35-17. Hoping for a miracle, I turned the car radio back on. When the game reached overtime, we were on the US-15 north of Harrisburg; reception was fading. Afraid of losing the signal, I stopped on a very small parking lot, leading down from the US-15 to the Susquehanna, until Christie's winning FG. Girlfriend thought I was crazy, but did not object.

Since then, the parking lot disappeared when the US-15 was widened from two-lane  to four-lane. The car, my first US car, an Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser station wagon is long gone. The then-girlfriend is now my wife; we recently had our 20th anniversary.

Edited by DrW
  • Like (+1) 3