Jim Kelly vs. Dan Marino In The Snow

2 minutes ago, Phil The Thrill said:

Explain....because the stats and the scoreboard say otherwise

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/K/KellJi00.htm

21 tds, 28 ints, 72.3 QBs rating.  Also, he should have run Thurman Thomas 30 times in the first SB.  

And I’ll leave this right here :) :  https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/R/ReicFr00.htm

4 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/K/KellJi00.htm

21 tds, 28 ints, 72.3 QBs rating.  Also, he should have run Thurman Thomas 30 times in the first SB.  

And I’ll leave this right here :) :  https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/R/ReicFr00.htm

I remember very well and he was an excellent playoff QB. The Stats are skewed by 3 tremendously bad Super Bowls, the Pittsburgh game in 95' and Jacksonville in 96'. If you look at his stats without those games his Stats are great. 

My take away watching 20 plus years removed is Andre Reed was impossible to cover and Marino and Kelly could both drop the ball on a dime. These teams under 1990's rules would crush today's teams. The toughness was so much greater. 

I will say Kelly knew how to lay an egg at the worst times though...

• Like (+1) 2

In an era where receivers were not protected, Reed was incredible after the catch. One of the best all time.

34 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Sneaky fact: Kelly wasn’t a good playoff qb.

This is a truly absurd statement.

Kelly has some bad stats in a few games that got away. He decimated the AFC in the playoffs for years and led the Bills in some very cold weather games.

33 minutes ago, row_33 said:

None of Jim or Thurman or Andre were elite, but very very good and meshed perfectly 

Bruce was elite

That’s very much debatable considering that Kelly and Thurman are Hall of Famers.  Isn’t that the definition of Elite?

53 minutes ago, Lenigmusx said:

I remember very well and he was an excellent playoff QB. The Stats are skewed by 3 tremendously bad Super Bowls, the Pittsburgh game in 95' and Jacksonville in 96'. If you look at his stats without those games his Stats are great. 

My take away watching 20 plus years removed is Andre Reed was impossible to cover and Marino and Kelly could both drop the ball on a dime. These teams under 1990's rules would crush today's teams. The toughness was so much greater. 

I will say Kelly knew how to lay an egg at the worst times though...

Yes this.  Actually the Jacksonville and Pittsburgh games are the only two playoff games that I can remember thinking that Kelly “lost” for the team.  This stat is garbage.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, The Jokeman said:

All things considered Kelly's clock management in that final drive was poor, he could have easily run another play before the final kick and think Levy would know know Norwood's limits.

He drove the team 61 yards in 2 minutes against the best defense in the game.

The”Kelly’s clock management stunk” narrative is retarded.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, row_33 said:

None of Jim or Thurman or Andre were elite, but very very good and meshed perfectly 

Bruce was elite

Thurman Thomas was absolutely elite...1991 NFL MVP, Led NFL in total yards from scrimmage 4 years in a row, was considered Top 3 RB in his era along with Emmitt and Barry.  I can see at least a debate over Jim and Andre but you cannot tell me that Thurman wasn't considered an elite RB during his playing days...hell to this day!

8 hours ago, row_33 said:

Bruce was elite

Just a quick fair question... Are you old enough to have lived through the 1990's Bills? Or are you posting from a modern perspective watching historical footage? It was the most elite roster ever assembled to that point. That is why the four super bowl losses  are even more painful and absurd. Trust me... if you lived it you know. If you are younger than 35 you can't know. Sorry

Edited by Lenigmusx

On 12/8/2018 at 1:59 PM, C.Biscuit97 said:

Sneaky fact: Kelly wasn’t a good playoff qb.

Ok, great, thanks for that sneaky fact! Only 9 wins in the playoffs. And I’ll be sure to let each of the other HOF QB’s that he beat in the playoffs (combined 0-6 against Kelly) know that they should’ve never lost to him, like Dan Marino (90, 92, 95) John Elway (91), Warren Moon (88) and Joe Montana (93). I guess they just didn’t read your memo in time. 

I guess all of those national non-Buffalo HOF committee voters just didn’t know enough about Kelly in the playoffs to keep him from getting into the Hall on the 1st ballot. What suckers! I mean, 8 playoffs in 11 seasons, 6 division titles and 4 conference championships in a row are so <yawn>. Thankfully our franchise has done so much better since he played, right? I mean, sure, not even the G.O.A.T with Hoodie has ever won 4 AFC titles in a row (or even 3 in a row) while dominating us over the past 2 decades, but whatever, at least Kelly still sucked in the playoffs. ?

Edited by NoHuddleKelly12

On 12/8/2018 at 10:19 AM, Estelle Getty said:

My biggest takeaway was how hard they all hit and constantly lead with the crown of their helmets. The game has definitely changed and after watching all of that head trauma I think it is for the better.  

I know. It's crazy watching old games like that and thinking their bells have to be getting rung every other play. I caught the Packers Broncos SB highlights and the trenches were.. a nightmare for the knees. Never seen so many cut blocks in my life before I watched those SB Broncos teams. Actually looked like dirty play given the Packers and other opponents of the day didn't do it so exclusively like the Broncos did.. to great advantage.

• Like (+1) 1

On ‎12‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 9:22 AM, ChevyVanMiller said:

Always surprised to see how few fans wore Bills gear to,the games in that era. A hat or coat here and there, but jerseys almost never.

My first jersey was a "Champion Outlet" special.  In 1990, my brother (in college at the time) bought me a Christmas present for $5 in the misprint bin, it had 78 on the front and back and 97 on the sleeves.  I would KILL to have that back today, lol. 

• Like (+1) 1