Jim Kelly vs. Dan Marino In The Snow

Check this classic game out.  I was pretty young when it was played so this was pretty cool to watch.  The Bills and Dolphins rivalry at its finest.  

So a few thoughts from this game:

The atmosphere and energy in the old Rich Stadium was electric.  Tons of people everywhere.

Kelly and his receivers were at the top of their game.  Andre Reed did a ton of damage to Louis Oliver in the middle of the field.

The “Buffalo winter” advantage is a myth.  Dan Marino and the warm weather proved that snowy conditions have very little impact at slowing a good offense and QB.

Nate Odomos was just PNWED by Mark Duper time and time again.

Don Shula was somewhat overrated as a HC toward the end of his career.

Scott Norwood should have been replaced prior to the 1990 season.  He was not good.  You see the short FG that he kicked barey made it through the uprights and the ball traveled sideways.  This came back to bite them in the arse at SB25.

Bills D-line could get no pressure on Mario.  Maybe it’s the field?  Yet the receivers seemed to have no problem running on the snow.  

Andre Reed ran some awesome crossing routes.

Disappointed that we didn’t see the clip of a dejected Marino nearly crying on the sideline when time was running down in the game. 

What are are your thoughts?

• Thank you (+1) 1

Shula rode his SB success into the ground for two decades, hard to put blame on this, but fish fans in my life despised him the last 10 years. The TV announcers crowed about his untouchable genius nonstop but the results were never the same after the Sea of Hands game.

Norwood was a decent kicker who was unfortunately asked to make a crucial kick from the far end of his range. A terrible strategy in football.

Ironic that Marino, who was ten times the QB Griese was, couldn’t play for a team that would dominate the Bills like the 70s Fish.

many thanks for the memory return on a day off!

Edited by row_33
  • Like (+1) 4

This is one of the games that sticks out the most for me during the Bills SB run—set the stage for playoff dominance over the fish, and showed that Kelly was perfectly capable of always going toe to toe with the Dolphin wunderkind at QB when the chips were down, and in fact always bested him in the playoffs. Quick note as to the fair weather team vs snowy Rich stadium issue—Marino like Kelly was born and bred in the QB cradle of western PA where it gets plenty cold and snowy, plus he also played his college ball at Pitt (NP’s alma mater, lol) So the fact is Marino would have played plenty of snow games in his life from the time he started with backyard ball. Not sure it matters all that much but for whatever it’s worth, the conditions on this day would not have fazed Danny anyway. Thanks for sharing this!

Edited by NoHuddleKelly12

My prize game of that era was Dec 90 and beating the full strength Giants at The Meadowlands, even with Kelly hurt

the day the Bills were now truly the best in football, held until the Norwood kick

• Like (+1) 1

This was a fun game to be at!  Of course being pretty young, 8 years old, the memories aren’t all crystal clear.

Some plays here and there.  AND I recall the Halftime Band was Cancelled so they could plow the field.

I do recall that my family had a deal though, I got to go to the Divisonal Game but another family member took the second ticket to the Raiders Championship game.  Had to pick which one I wanted to go to.  Think I made out alright!  ?

Edited by RalphWilson'sNewWar
  • Like (+1) 1

48 minutes ago, row_33 said:

Shula rode his SB success into the ground for two decades, hard to put blame on this, but fish fans in my life despised him the last 10 years. The TV announcers crowed about his untouchable genius nonstop but the results were never the same after the Sea of Hands game.

Norwood was a decent kicker who was unfortunately asked to make a crucial kick from the far end of his range. A terrible strategy in football.

Ironic that Marino, who was ten times the QB Griese was, couldn’t play for a team that would dominate the Bills like the 70s Fish.

many thanks for the memory return on a day off!

Disagree on Norwood.  He struggled mightily in 1990 and was far from his 1988 Pro Bowl form.  The warning signs were there that Norwood was on the decline in 1990.   In 1991 season it was blatantly obvious.  Notice how he never kicked for another team after his release?  Teams noticed.... he was done

21 minutes ago, Phil The Thrill said:

Disagree on Norwood.  He struggled mightily in 1990 and was far from his 1988 Pro Bowl form.  The warning signs were there that Norwood was on the decline in 1990.   In 1991 season it was blatantly obvious.  Notice how he never kicked for another team after his release?  Teams noticed.... he was done

I said he was a decent kicker, was trying to be a bit nice, it was way too much to ask of him to make that....

The fans and media made him out to be a great kicker during his time in town, the hype never ended

Steve Christie would have made that kick blindfolded

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, row_33 said:

I said he was a decent kicker, was trying to be a bit nice, it was way too much to ask of him to make that....

The fans and media made him out to be a great kicker during his time in town, the hype never ended

Steve Christie would have made that kick blindfolded

Well to his credit,  he did have a great season in 1988.  It was a career year and also the year the Bills won the AFCE in many years.  He did make several big kicks that year, so I think that endeared himself to Bills fans.  The problem was he was not that great the rest of his career.  

I feel that during those years teams stuck with players and coaches for a longer amount of time.  This is probably why they kept him 2 seasons too long.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Phil The Thrill said:

Well to his credit,  he did have a great season in 1988.  It was a career year and also the year the Bills won the AFCE in many years.  He did make several big kicks that year, so I think that endeared himself to Bills fans.  The problem was he was not that great the rest of his career.  

I feel that during those years teams stuck with players and coaches for a longer amount of time.  This is probably why they kept him 2 seasons too long.

All things considered Kelly's clock management in that final drive was poor, he could have easily run another play before the final kick and think Levy would know know Norwood's limits.

15 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

All things considered Kelly's clock management in that final drive was poor, he could have easily run another play before the final kick and think Levy would know know Norwood's limits.

Norwood was hitting solidly in pregame warmups from 45+ so that was at the outside  range yes, but doable. And in terms of clock mgmt, running one more play would have been dicey at best—and too much risk for something bad happening (fumble, INT, penalty, clock runoff in bounds) to chance not getting a kick off at all. You might say Kelly put them in position to win at the end like Allen did just last week when it was all said and done, and it just didn’t work out—it happens. Just hate that in both examples it happened to us. But let’s see how this team responds this week. 

Edited by NoHuddleKelly12

1 hour ago, The Jokeman said:

That was the Bills strategy, to squeak out a winning FG at Norwood’s outer range

it failed

Parcells and Belichick completely outcoached  the Bills and stole that SB and the rest is history 

2 hours ago, Phil The Thrill said:

They kept him around for another year, so he wasn’t ruined by the miss, but Christie immediately showed what an elite kicker looked like

I see men playing the game of football. While that is still done, the ridiculous penalties, questioning what a ‘catch’ is, not allowing a QB to be really touched, etc the game has declined. 

I still love it (with guilt) and am glad they are working to protect the players, but some aspects have pushed the envelope. 

Boy, those were fun years for Bills football! I believe we’ll see them again soon! I watched this one from home. ? 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Phil The Thrill said:

Check this classic game out.  I was pretty young when it was played so this was pretty cool to watch.  The Bills and Dolphins rivalry at its finest.  

So a few thoughts from this game:

The atmosphere and energy in the old Rich Stadium was electric.  Tons of people everywhere.

Kelly and his receivers were at the top of their game.  Andre Reed did a ton of damage to Louis Oliver in the middle of the field.

The “Buffalo winter” advantage is a myth.  Dan Marino and the warm weather proved that snowy conditions have very little impact at slowing a good offense and QB.

Nate Odomos was just PNWED by Mark Duper time and time again.

Don Shula was somewhat overrated as a HC toward the end of his career.

Scott Norwood should have been replaced prior to the 1990 season.  He was not good.  You see the short FG that he kicked barey made it through the uprights and the ball traveled sideways.  This came back to bite them in the arse at SB25.

Bills D-line could get no pressure on Mario.  Maybe it’s the field?  Yet the receivers seemed to have no problem running on the snow.  

Andre Reed ran some awesome crossing routes.

Disappointed that we didn’t see the clip of a dejected Marino nearly crying on the sideline when time was running down in the game. 

What are are your thoughts?

Glad you've become aware of this.

Every time I hear some pundit talk about Buffalo in the cold and snow I cringe, including the current HC of the team.

The best Bills era on record is when we had a revolutionary, dynamic passing attack.

McDermott's "win all games 10-7" philosophy is outdated and doomed to failure.

37 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

Glad you've become aware of this.

Every time I hear some pundit talk about Buffalo in the cold and snow I cringe, including the current HC of the team.

The best Bills era on record is when we had a revolutionary, dynamic passing attack.

McDermott's "win all games 10-7" philosophy is outdated and doomed to failure.

IDK; seems to me like the Bills have been pushing the ball vertically over the past month and other threads here are backing up the notion that Daboll is making a concerted effort to use JA’s skill set in all respects including mid-deep routes. I’d say we’re a lot of things but a short game passing attack or all Shady/Ivory all the time? Not so much. If McD was not on board with that, it wouldn’t be happening. I think the 4 week stretch of truly awfulness while JA was out has tainted a lot of us and the discussion of the O philosophy. But we’ll see what happens the rest of the way.

• Like (+1) 1