The Ringer calls Josh Allen "America's Most Mobile Mountain"

8 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Allen can't throw the ball in the dirt.  He's in the pocket, inside the tackles.  Intentional grounding, 10 yds, loss of down.  Allen can throw the ball to, or in the plausible direction of, McKensie, and the worst that happens is he misses and the play goes back to the LOS.  Why is this so tough?

Come on, folks.  The difference between a "meh" QB and the top-notch Franchise Dude that we all want from Allen is the ability to tell when a play isn't gonna go as designed, and take what you can get.

No, if it's at McCoy's feet it's an incompletion. Happens every game on a screen where the defense reads it.

Look at the linemen getting to second level. Screen all day. Throw it into the dirt, move on to the next down.

5 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Understood.  It was just a play grabbed to illustrate my point that IMHO, the biggest development Allen needs is his field vision and field awareness and knowing on each play what he can do with the ball.  He's a rookie, he can and will make mistakes. 

The thing about it is that either he completes the pass for a loss or he throws it at Shady's feet and his completion % goes down.  Either way someone will complain about it (again, not saying you are).  His pocket awareness the past two games has been a huge improvement if you ask me.  I'm curious if he's not seeing the whole field or he is being limited by what the coaches are telling him.

Some plays it looks like he is going through progressions but on that play it really did look like a designed pass to Shady and just did what the play called for.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

The thing about it is that either he completes the pass for a loss or he throws it at Shady's feet and his completion % goes down.  Either way someone will complain about it (again, not saying you are).  His pocket awareness the past two games has been a huge improvement if you ask me.  I'm curious if he's not seeing the whole field or he is being limited by what the coaches are telling him.

Some plays it looks like he is going through progressions but on that play it really did look like a designed pass to Shady and just did what the play called for.

That's all it was. That ball is never, ever going anywhere except into McCoy's hands or into the ground at his feet. Saying he should have hit McKenzie because 'he was open' is just not understanding what you're watching. He's in motion to set up the play to the left, he's not a receiver. This is a single-read play.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

See this is problem.  I get we want Allen to be awesome.  But you could do stuff like this for every qb.  Also, Allen has had a less than 60% on every level football.  Is it always osmeone’s Else fault or does he possibly need to become a more accurate passer?

Allen can get better, obviously. The point is that if you actually watch Allen play, you realize that his completion % simply isn't a reflection of his accuracy, especially over the last 2 games.

You can find complete ineptitude in certain now departed members of our WR corps along with miscommunication expected out of a rookie QB and drops, plain and simple, from other members like Jones, Thompson, and Clay--and that was all just in the Miami game!

Sure, Allen should work on his accuracy, but really not much more than most top 10 rookie QBs who have strolled into the league in the last couple decades.

In other words, I'm pretty impressed with Allen's accuracy this year, but I also want/expect to see him improve it.

Edited by transplantbillsfan

Fundamentally, I think he's good because he LOOKS good. All of him looks good.  He looks good throwing from the pocket.  He looks good scrambling.  He looks good throwing on the run. He looks good running.  

He makes plenty of perfect throws.  He makes spectacular throws.   

He isn't stupid. 

You can't actually look good at all aspects of play and not be good. 

Not all aspects of his decision making are as good as they  need to be, but for me it's simple:   Who's the QB you would trade even up for Allen?  For me there definitely are fewer than 20, probably fewer than 15. 

1 hour ago, Shaw66 said:

I think the continued dissing of Allen is evidence of the same press bias that is out there.   This guy writes very nicely and he SOUNDS authoritative, but I don't know what he's talking about.   It seems clear to me he hasn't been watching the games.   I think he looks at highlights and stats.  

Frankly, as much as I love his running, I don't get too excited about.  I loved Taylor running, too, but all that matters was whether he could play QB in the NFL.  He demonstrated that he could, but just marginally.   He couldn't get significantly better.  He looked like the same guy in Cleveland.  

It isn't about running.  It's about passing and running the team.   Allen makes an occasional bad throw, but he is NOT an inconsistent thrower.   His passing seems to keep getting better, with a lot of passes right where they need to be.   I keep thinking about the throw to Jones on the sideline at the end of the Dolphins game, the one overturned on review.   That was an outstanding throw.  He has a lot of those.   

What problems I see are minor.   He doesn't always get his feet set - every once in a while he throws a bit off balance.  I think he isn't seeing all the receivers all the time.   I saw something somewhere that said that he should be checking the ball down more than he is - he's always going downfield, even if it's a tight window, when it would be fine for him to take the checkdown, gets some high probability free yards and go on to the next play.  He has a lower completion percentage on those tight-window downfield plays.   

Allen has a lots of little things he needs to learn, lots and lots.   He's smart and he's motivated.   I don't doubt that he'll learn them.   The real point is that he is, today, a bona fide NFL starting quarterback.  Right now.   I think people who haven't watched enough to see these things just will be late to the party. 

Well said, and that throw to Jones that was overturned was just a fantastic NFL throw just like the throw to Thompson up the deep middle of the field was a really good throw.

Those 2 players hold on to those passes, suddenly Allen is over 60% completion %.

Sure, you can play that game with other QBs, but the thing is, every week as I sit in the bar focused on the Bills game but attentive to all the others, I notice catches routinely made team by team by team that we would probably view as "incredible!!!" because our WRs rarely--if ever--make those catches.

I'm glad we cut Benjamin. That's a start.

31 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

That's all it was. That ball is never, ever going anywhere except into McCoy's hands or into the ground at his feet. Saying he should have hit McKenzie because 'he was open' is just not understanding what you're watching. He's in motion to set up the play to the left, he's not a receiver. This is a single-read play.

If true, that would be a very poor play design.

1 hour ago, The Wiz said:

Here is the full play:

ezgif-2-ed255becb365.gif

It looks like it was basically a designed check down and he wasn't targeting anyone else.

Not a clue why but your video isn't showing up for me, but just from what I recall watching that game I thought that particular play was a designed screen to Shady and I remember getting mad at Dabol, rather than Allen or Shady.

3 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

If true, that would be a very poor play design.

It's just a normal screen pass that was played pretty well by Alonso and not blocked very effectively. Defense reads screen, so Groy doesn't get his man far enough upfield after engaging, Dawkins is supposed to block outside and lets his man inside...it happens. Brady throws this into the dirt at his RBs feet a ton. There's only one read here and it's McCoy, our line just isn't good enough here to A sell the play and B athletic enough to get off first blocks into next level effectively combined with C the Dolphins had a good defense dialed for defending a screen. It might have worked if Mills hadn't missed his guy after Sirles passes him off and Dawkins had kept his man outside instead of right into McCoy's space.

• Like (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Not a clue why but your video isn't showing up for me, but just from what I recall watching that game I thought that particular play was a designed screen to Shady and I remember getting mad at Dabol, rather than Allen or Shady.

It doesn't work on mobile for some reason.  I don't have a good way of posting the video since it's uncompressed and that 7 second clip is like 25mb.

I'll see if I can get a better conversion.

Does this work?  Sorry about the "K" in the middle but apparently it needed a caption.

giphy.gif

Edited by The Wiz

2 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I'd really rather not use the Miami game.  It seemed as though his passes through the whole game were not the clean sharp spirals I've seen, but worse in the first half.  I didn't think the Q1 3rd&6 20 yd shot to Foster was accurate, but every QB in the country over- and under- throws passes from time to time.  The point is: there were real concerns about Allen's accuracy coming into the season - points that were acknowledged not just by Armchair Arnies or Bernie with a Blog, but by Daboll and Allen himself, and by his QB coach Jordan Palmer.  I see improvement.  I think we all also see gaps and problems in the WR corps.  Until Allen's completion percentage rises, we're going to continue to hear those concerns.  The way to address them is for everyone to work hard the rest of the season and in the off season - Allen continue to work on his footwork and Beane to improve the roster at WR and OL, not to invite people to nitpick every throw Allen makes or call those who question whether his accuracy is enough "lazy regurgitations".

I'm more concerned about Allen's head, his 'field vision' and decision making.  Here's an example - Q1 1st&10 at the Buff 49, recorded as "short L to McCoy for -6 yds".  McCoy acts as though he's stayed in to block.  Allen must not like what he sees downfield.  Eventually McCoy turns around and Allen throws to him.  McCoy is smacked immediately and it speaks volumes for him as a football player that he hangs on to the ball while being hauled down in an un-noticed "horse collar" tackle.

Meanwhile, McKensie is standing all alone on the Buff 46, with no one within 5 yds of him, and Allen has a clear lane to him.  Allen never looks that way. 

image.png.cfa714bcb3acede78e05256d69b9cb17.png

Gotta See the Bunnies, Gotta Make The Bunnies.  McKensie could probably get 3 yds and if he makes his guy miss, go for more.  At worst, he'd get the ball back to the LOS and it would be 2nd and 10 instead of 2nd and 16.  Like a Monk seal with an eel up its nose:  we need you to make better choices, Josh.

Again, every QB misses guys who are open, and Allen is a rookie, but he's got to improve here to be The Man. 

At worst, he catches the ball, gets hit, fumbles and the team returns it for a TD.  

Josh Allen needs work on his accuracy.  There is NO DOUBT that that is the case.  In his defense, the passes that he throws, travel to the WRs at a higher velocity, which gives the pass catcher less time to react and makes it harder for them to catch the ball.  It IS different catching a ball for JA than catching it from another QB.  Our pass catchers other than a Zay haven’t been able to adjust to that for the most part.  Our OL is garbaggio.  Those are two components that can effect a QBs completion% and have definitely effected Josh Allen’s so far.  Let’s get the kid some real pass catchers and a real OL and let’s see what he can do.  He’s going to be our guy.  Whether or not some like it or not.

and to repeat:  Josh Allen has accuracy issues and must improve in that department.

12 minutes ago, NewEra said:

At worst, he catches the ball, gets hit, fumbles and the team returns it for a TD.  

Josh Allen needs work on his accuracy.  There is NO DOUBT that that is the case.  In his defense, the passes that he throws, travel to the WRs at a higher velocity, which gives the pass catcher less time to react and makes it harder for them to catch the ball.  It IS different catching a ball for JA than catching it from another QB.  Our pass catchers other than a Zay haven’t been able to adjust to that for the most part.  Our OL is garbaggio.  Those are two components that can effect a QBs completion% and have definitely effected Josh Allen’s so far.  Let’s get the kid some real pass catchers and a real OL and let’s see what he can do.  He’s going to be our guy.  Whether or not some like it or not.

and to repeat:  Josh Allen has accuracy issues and must improve in that department.

and too repeat. He really does not have major accuracy shortcomings.  You just don't understand what you are seeing. 

We’re too used to anticipating the worst, and resisting optimism.

This or next year is Brady’s last.  Josh Allen IS  the next great quarterback of the AFC East.  He’ll end up being the best from last year’s draft, and lead this team for a decade+.

Every mistake he is making is correctable.  He has every intangible you want in a QB, and he’s an athletic freak.

Good times ahead.

• Like (+1) 1

22 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

Lost in all this

Should have been up around 275 yards passing and had 2 touchdowns flat dropped in this game.....what would have given him what.......5 TDs on the day?

All this with no running game.

And 2 UDFA rookies he has very little chemistry with , a guy we just released and a 2nd year WR...If Baker had this 2 game stretch with this OL and WR corps he'd be getting double the love by the media Allen is getting, they are clearly biased against him but will have no choice but to come around sooner than later. 

On 12/7/2018 at 7:44 PM, Binghamton Beast said:

Ringer?

Who the f is he/she and why should any of us care?

No offense, OP.....but if the guy is some idiot with a blog that has no credentials, who really gives a flying *****?

Blasphemy! The Ringer is quite possibly Johnny Knoxville’s finest work!

18 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

Fundamentally, I think he's good because he LOOKS good. All of him looks good.  He looks good throwing from the pocket.  He looks good scrambling.  He looks good throwing on the run. He looks good running.  

He makes plenty of perfect throws.  He makes spectacular throws.   

He isn't stupid. 

You can't actually look good at all aspects of play and not be good. 

Not all aspects of his decision making are as good as they  need to be, but for me it's simple:   Who's the QB you would trade even up for Allen?  For me there definitely are fewer than 20, probably fewer than 15. 

That's a good question. I would say in the 15 to 20 range. His floor is low enough that I'd have to consider the swap for quite a few other QB's.

If he reaches his ceiling, less than 5.