Is it starting to become a little more clear why the rebiuld?

3 hours ago, Cripple Creek said:

Well see, you gots to have a decent offensive game plan and someone to deliver the ball.  Letting Woods walk was a big mistake and I said so at the time.  People talk about him wanting out etc. yet they have yet to provide evidence. The Bills ignored him, he moved on.

...hindsight is a beautiful thing and you are certainly correct....at the same time, the money he was commanding THEN was thought to be "excessive"....and today the WR market has exploded to insanity levels........interestingly, take a look at these two deals to see which was the "better buy"..........hmmmm.....

Robert Woods signed a 5 year, $34,000,000 contract with the Los Angeles Rams, including $15,000,000 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $6,800,000. In 2018, Woods will earn a base salary of $790,000, a roster bonus of $3,200,019, a restructure bonus of $4,710,019 and a incentive bonus of $300,000, while carrying a cap hit of $5,467,523 and a dead cap value of $8,700,038.

Sammy Watkins signed a 3 year, $48,000,000 contract with the Kansas City Chiefs, including a $21,000,000 signing bonus, $30,000,000 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $16,000,000. In 2018, Watkins will earn a base salary of $790,000, a signing bonus of $21,000,000 and a workout bonus of $10,000, while carrying a cap hit of $7,800,000 and a dead cap value of $30,010,000.

14 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

In that case, your statement claiming if we had 2 different players we'd have zero cap is...most puzzling.

I never claimed we would have two different players. Not once. I stated Sammys cap hit that he accepted from the Chiefs as a best case scenario from us. I further eluded to the fact as of today we are at 8-9 million. I never insinuated that it was either or, its clear to me as it should be to you that Bean has been trying to get receivers in here. As by the dead cap hits we are paying 12 wrs right now. Kb didnt stop the Tp or Coleman signing what makes you think Sammy would have stopped kb and the other 11 we are paying dead cap hits to?

So its a little more complex than a cursory glance that u and others proceeded to take. 

Today we still have no number one wr after signing and cutting and taking dead cap hits on 12 wrs. Sammys pay would zero out our cap or come very close to it. 

Hes only started 9 out of 12 games and it didnt stop andy reid from putting him on his team (regardless of his petty contract).

22 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

they traded Marcel's lazyness for a DT that is not as talented.....but also shows up to work every week.....and our run defense is actually good.

We dont know if they would not have picked up Benjamin...that is total guess

A second round pick is not a small thing.

The Jags were ranked 3rd in defense before last game. Sammy has basically missed the last 4 games and would still be the leading receiver on this team.

but we need to clear those problems to free up space for hard workers like Vontae Davis and Kelvin Benjamin.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I think the Pegulas hiring that clown Rex was the biggest problem.  

Well yes, no doubt.  But that doesn't change the fact that team reached its limit and the Bills were correct to assess they a) were never going to be a serious contender without a major upgrade at QB and needed to do whatever was required to draft one, b) Whaley screwed the pooch giving Dareus that contract and they should prioritize dumping him as they eyed the salary cap management aspect of a rebuild, and c) Whaley screwed the pooch again by getting all starry eyed about Watkins, who's never going to be an offensive anchor in the NFL, and they correctly got good value for him when they did knowing they would not be the team to drastically overpay him when his rookie deal expired.

15 minutes ago, KD in CA said:

Well yes, no doubt.  But that doesn't change the fact that team reached its limit and the Bills were correct to assess they a) were never going to be a serious contender without a major upgrade at QB and needed to do whatever was required to draft one, b) Whaley screwed the pooch giving Dareus that contract and they should prioritize dumping him as they eyed the salary cap management aspect of a rebuild, and c) Whaley screwed the pooch again by getting all starry eyed about Watkins, who's never going to be an offensive anchor in the NFL, and they correctly got good value for him when they did knowing they would not be the team to drastically overpay him when his rookie deal expired.

There is just a lot of ignorance in your take:

a) Whatever it took to draft one?  WITAF are you talking about??    Whatever it took except just drafting Mahomes or Watson?:doh:

b) The problem wasn't signing Dareus.........he was a young All Pro DT who was going to get paid......the problem was Buffalo Bills owner Terry Pegula giving his fomer employee, Dareus' agent Todd France a contract that didn't have standard personal conduct language!     

c) Star WR's are highly valued and Watkins was off to a great start.   Not picking up his 5th year option was utter stupidity.    Even if they intended to trade him.........without that extra season of team control he was devalued.     

On 12/7/2018 at 5:35 PM, Tenhigh said:

Didn't he struggle terribly in his first season in NE?  Not saying he isn't playing great now but i think he sucked at first. 

I remember that opening game that the Pats had against the Chiefs last year. Tyreek Hill torched the crap out of Gilmore on a long TD catch and as far as I remember the first month of the season last year he wasn't really good. He might be now though

7 hours ago, Chemical said:

We will end up overpaying for a FA WR anyway. We can afford 19 and 21 million while we have so many rookie contracts. BUT that’s all besides the point. Just this year alone having him over Benjamin would have been a huge upgrade even if he was injured. 

Doesn't matter.  Watkins IMO is not as good as his contract.  No where near it actually.  Who cares about having him this year?  Would it made us a superbowl team?  No.  We got some value for him before he walked.  That's better than having him in a year we weren't really going to go anywhere.  He has had great QBs the last two years.  Two of the most explosive offenses in the game.  He has put up #3/4 stats with those offenses.  Not worth it.