Is it starting to become a little more clear why the rebiuld?

Marcel - not worth the money...lazy...is not improving the jags defense (you could make a case that he is hurting it for the amount he is getting paid but is not a team leader)

Sammy - foot is hurt again....not living up to the draft status and cost on 3rd team has played with two different very good QBs.

These are the players that we would have given contracts to if we did not trade them away for draft picks....our cap space would be nil.....and we would be right where we were.

This is why they were let go...this is why we rebiult...this is why Beane and McD did what they did.

Is it becoming more clear?

Its not all perfect.....I wanted to keep Woods but he didnt want to stay.....Gilmore is still a good player with the patriots.....

• Like (+1) 18
  • Thank you (+1) 5

It really all depends on how things go next year. What they do with the cap space and draft picks they've gotten doing this. Putting themselves might make a lot of sense and been the best move but if they don't execute on the last steps the whole thing will be judged on the final results.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Marcel - not worth the money...lazy...is not improving the jags defense (you could make a case that he is hurting it for the amount he is getting paid but is not a team leader)

Sammy - foot is hurt again....not living up to the draft status and cost on 3rd team has played with two different very good QBs.

These are the players that we would have given contracts to if we did not trade them away for draft picks....our cap space would be nil.....and we would be right where we were.

This is why they were let go...this is why we rebiult...this is why Beane and McD did what they did.

Its not all perfect.....I wanted to keep Woods but he didnt want to stay.....Gilmore is still a good player with the patriots.....

Actually, the difference in cap space is quite small...have to assume they don't sign Star if Marcel is still here, so the difference is all of $5M.

I'm near certain that, had they picked up Sammy's option, they wouldn't have traded for Benjamin, so it's a literal wash.

In fact, the only impact is that moving Sammy gave the team a 2nd-round pick that they used to trade up for Allen.

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, thebandit27 said:

Actually, the difference in cap space is quite small...have to assume they don't sign Star if Marcel is still here, so the difference is all of $5M.

I'm near certain that, had they picked up Sammy's option, they wouldn't have traded for Benjamin, so it's a literal wash.

In fact, the only impact is that moving Sammy gave the team a 2nd-round pick that they used to trade up for Allen.

they traded Marcel's lazyness for a DT that is not as talented.....but also shows up to work every week.....and our run defense is actually good.

We dont know if they would not have picked up Benjamin...that is total guess

A second round pick is not a small thing.

• Like (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

Correct.

7 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Gilmore is still a good player with the patriots.....

But is he worth the 5 year/$65 M contract he signed?  His play in Buffalo was inconsistent with some good play and other times where his ball presence was poor and generated some dumb penalties.  Granted, he seemed to shape up a bit in NE.

• Like (+1) 5

1 minute ago, Happy Gilmore said:

But is he worth the 5 year/$65 M contract he signed?  His play in Buffalo was inconsistent with some good play and other times where his ball presence was poor and generated some dumb penalties.  Granted, he seemed to shape up a bit in NE.

No I dont think he is worth that contract.

• Like (+1) 4

2 minutes ago, Happy Gilmore said:

1 minute ago, John from Riverside said:

No I dont think he is worth that contract.

Hard to argue he isn’t.

https://patriotswire.usatoday.com/2018/11/21/pff-stephon-gilmore-is-4th-best-cornerback-in-nfl/

2 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

they traded Marcel's lazyness for a DT that is not as talented.....but also shows up to work every week.....and our run defense is actually good.

We dont know if they would not have picked up Benjamin...that is total guess

A second round pick is not a small thing.

Well John, you made the statement that the team would have zero cap space had they not dealt those guys.  It's not true...the effect on cap space would be minimal.

And yes, we can almost definitively say that there's no way they'd have traded a 3rd round pick in a year that they were trying to accumulate draft capitol for Benjamin if they had Watkins on an identical contract.

The big difference is that the team would've been forced to trade a 2019 pick to get Allen instead of a 2018 2nd.

Just now, BringBackOrton said:

Yes,  he's well worth the contract, which is what many of us said at the time.

2 minutes ago, BringBackOrton said:

Yes, but like I mentioned, Gilmore has performed much better in NE.  With how he played in Buffalo, the Bills would have been crazy to give Stephon the money he got.  Anyway, water under the bridge and I'm happy with Tre White who I think is a better CB than Gilmore.

• Like (+1) 12

3 minutes ago, BringBackOrton said:

I think the answer is "he is worth that contract in New England"

'

because in that last year before he got that contract he was in "playing not to get hurt" mode.........and we actually dont even know if we could have kept him.

• Like (+1) 4

10 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Straight up...I would rather have Jordan Phillips on our roster than I would Dareus.Sure,Phillips is a hothead and last week's 15 yarder was costly ...but he shows up to play every damn week,not to mention he's a factor out there when his number comes up. Marcel has had a rough private life and I think he became soft because of that...he expects to be cuddled and catered too...I doubt he has many NFL days left in him...jmo.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Happy Gilmore said:

Yes, but like I mentioned, Gilmore has performed much better in NE.  With how he played in Buffalo, the Bills would have been crazy to give Stephon the money he got.  Anyway, water under the bridge and I'm happy with Tre White who I think is a better CB than Gilmore.

He was excellent here.

He had 2 bad games in a contract year, and that's what many fans chose to fixate on...in general, the relatively low opinions of Gilmore on this board result from unrealistic expectations of cornerbacks.  In Gilmore's "bad contract year", he allowed a grand total of 2 TDs, and performed statistically better than both Richard Sherman and Patrick Peterson.

Now, that said, I like Tre White a lot.  He's a different style player than Gilmore, but might be just as good overall, as he's better against the run and may have better ball skills.

3 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

We would have ended up giving Watkins a new contract and had the same issues.....we are done and away from KB after this year.

Nope...had they picked up Sammy's 5th-year option, he'd be on this team right now at the exact same cap hit as Benjamin.

It's becoming increasingly clear that trading away Dareus and Watkins were moves that made A WHOLE LOT OF SENSE for the Bills.

Watkins is not worth $17 million a year let alone for the Bills.   Dareus is one strike away from being suspended/expelled from the league and has shown that he will never be the player that he once was.  Star was brought on to clog up running lanes and free up the LB's and that is precisely what he has done.  Did we overpay to get him?  Yes, probably by a couple million a year but the Bills desperately needed a CONSISTENT run plugger and without doubt he has brought stability to our interior Run D.   

Not to mention that Sammy and Dareus did not fit into the mental sort of makeup that they wanted and say what you will, McD/Beane have a clear vision of what they want and I'm completely onboard with what they are doing.

• Like (+1) 3

3 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

He had 2 bad games in a contract year, and that's what many fans chose to fixate on...in general, the relatively low opinions of Gilmore on this board result from unrealistic expectations of cornerbacks.  In Gilmore's "bad contract year", he allowed a grand total of 2 TDs, and performed statistically better than both Richard Sherman and Patrick Peterson.

Maybe the statistics indicate this and maybe he only allowed 2 TDs.  But how many TDs did the Bills D give up where Gilmore's play set up the opposing offense inside, or very near, the red zone?  My recollection of Gilmore is that he tended to have poor ball skills which caused him to draw PI penalties down field on longer pass plays, which he'd blame the other DBs on some occasions.  Coupled with the fact that Gilmore had problems tackling a runner in open field.  IMO, he's not quite as good as you're giving him credit for.

• Like (+1) 6