RIP Isiah Robertson.

CowgirlsFan

6 hours ago, mannc said:

Were you surprised—even though he was a college graduate—that he was well-spoken and articulate?

Not particularly.  I was introduced by a friend who said there was a NFL player from New Orleans who played for my Bills and has similar taste in music.  Since I knew he came from New Orleans I expected the accent and I was used to hit working in one of the clubs in Buffalo and listening to my relatives from Baton Rouge.  We talked about Dizzy Gillespie mostly and ends up we were at same show he was in 1989 or early 1990s (I forgot exact date).

1 hour ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

Row, beat the chargers and I think we end up going to the SB in ‘80, even playing at home against the raiders.

avoid the penalty on the last drive and Cincy and we go to SD, and I think we beat them in ‘81 to get to the bowl.

i loved those teams.

1980 was wide open and almost 10 teams could have won it all. 

The Knox era was probably the most enjoyable of any bills era and I saw them all(altho I was just a small kid in the mid 60s). That team had the most interesting characters and a ton of talent to go with it and to back up the loudness.

That team was such a cool mix of slightly over the hill all -pro players--some who came with Knox from LA(Robertson)- ,highly gifted players like Jerry Butler,Fred Smerlas ,Joe Ferguson,Joe Cribbs,Mario Clark etc etc who were all in their prime..,and role players like Lou Piccone--all 5'9" and 170 LBs of him 

Dobler,Robertson,Haslett-all slightly nuts and a lot of fun.

RIP Isaiah

• Like (+1) 2

40 minutes ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

The Cleveland / Raiders game was crazy.  Browns on the verge of winning that one.

It marked the end of the Bradshaw Era, waiting for Montana to step forward

my high school years

• Like (+1) 1

18 hours ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

Row, honestly man I thought he was terrible in the day.  He always seemed to be getting beat or was slow on plays...always there too late...as a bill.

i know he did more, but I just noticed when he was bad.

If memory serves, he was once juked by Chad "freaking" Pennington, who proceeded to run into the endzone for the score.  He had a nice career though.

1 minute ago, TigerJ said:

If memory serves, he was once juked by Chad "freaking" Pennington, who proceeded to run into the endzone for the score.  He had a nice career though.

That was Eddie Robinson. He had a decent career, but he wasn't close to Robertson's level.

19 minutes ago, Rico said:

That was Eddie Robinson. He had a decent career, but he wasn't close to Robertson's level.

Ah.  I apologize to the legacy for Isaiah Robertson for the mistake.  That was one embarrassing moment for Robinson.

On 12/7/2018 at 12:10 PM, Helpmenow said:

Haslett and butch carried on at the pierce arrow in West Seneca. Those were the days

After Dark on Transit in Lockport. They were brawling in the parking lot, I was there watching.

Two animals and good football players.

• Like (+1) 1

On 12/8/2018 at 9:08 AM, TigerJ said:

Was Chad Pennington even born yet when the man the thread is about was playing?

4 hours ago, row_33 said:

Was Chad Pennington even born yet when the man the thread is about was playing?

Robertson and Robinson sound a little bit alike, and my memory was faulty.  I'm old after all.  As it happens, Pennington was born in Isaiah Robertson's 27th year, but your point is well taken.  They played in different eras.